Tie Spoon Direct To Flasher?

Seafever

Spoons such as Silver Horde and Coyote come with a welded ring on the nose.

When you tie these to flasher, do you yourself:- tie the other end of the leader direct to flasher so there is NO swivel of any kind from back of flasher to spoon?

Or do you leave your swivel on the flasher-end of the leader?

Just wondering how you folks do yours...........

Some spoons come with a swivel on the front of them..........but I'm not talking about those.....

I have been using a swivel on the flasher end of the leader. I also remember a thread from a couple years ago where many had suggested adding a swivel to the spoon when changing hooks as they claimed it helped keep fish on wen they started rolling. I tried it on a few and never noticed a difference.

Any spoon is going to give you some serious line twist after a while if you're not using any swivel. I attach mine to the flasher side.

For spoons I know people that run a flasher directly off the cannonball (not attached to the mainline), then run the spoon ~15' back of it. You get some of the attraction of a flasher and the fun of fighting fish without one on the line. I've never tried it myself, anyone else do this?

Yeah, I usually do this with spoons, and also with swimmer tails and plugs. I also usually use the spinning triangular flashers off the cannonball so that I can clip the line just a couple feet above it.

Any spoon is going to give you some serious line twist after a while if you're not using any swivel. I attach mine to the flasher side.

For spoons I know people that run a flasher directly off the cannonball (not attached to the mainline), then run the spoon ~15' back of it. You get some of the attraction of a flasher and the fun of fighting fish without one on the line. I've never tried it myself, anyone else do this?

I have used them to some extent, I first tried tying a flasher with a leader to the cannonball eye but when I put the line down it would rise up and wrap around the line, You can buy flashers commercially that attatch directly to the downrigger line but I have used a coat hanger straightened out about 2 feet long and twisted through the cannonball attatchment and about a foot of leader at the other end with the flasher attatched it keeps it from tangling and has pretty good action too

Decks:- I have used the triangular rotating flashers (similar to FishFlash) as a dummy.

I put the connector for the dummies about 2 feet above the cannonball.

Then I run two rotators flashers......first one is about 5 feet back of the clip.....and the second one is about 2feet behind the first......beadchain in front of each flasher and beadchain at the clip.

Then I run the next clip for the main line about 5 feet above the flasher clip.

Then run the spoon about 10 feet back. 6ft of leader on the spoon and then beadchain to the main.

Caught fish this way......I've never had a problem with tangles on descent doing this.
Bu then I never lower my stuff so it's in a freefall to the bottom.

I imagine with a big normal Hotspot as a dummy, there is a bigger arc so it might be subject to foul-ups more.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Back