Thousands of 10-pound Atlantic salmon, catch as many as you want!

wasn't this only found in one fish on one farm?
Absolutely not, Bones - but thank you for asking and requesting information rather than attempting to deny everything like other FF advocates. Give me a few minutes - and I'll try to consolidate all the results...

Why Is a Norwegian Disease on a BC Fish Farm Such a Big Deal?
New study highlights risks to industry, and wild fish.
xAndrew-Nikiforuk-Bio_square_thumb.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EOz_9g2HVS.jpg
By Andrew Nikiforuk 4 Mar 2017 | TheTyee.ca
https://thetyee.ca/News/2017/03/04/Norwegian-Disease-BC-Fish-Farm/

i believe this is current 2017

STATEMENT REGARDING STRATEGIC SALMON HEALTH INITIATIVE DIAGNOSIS OF HEART AND SKELETAL MUSCLE INFLAMMATION AT A B.C. FISH FARM For Immediate Release March 14, 2017 The paper published by SSHI investigators regarding the diagnosis of Heart and Skeletal Muscle Inflammation (HSMI) in fish from one Atlantic salmon farm in B.C. is important, and there is further research ongoing to better understand how HSMI develops and its root cause. The single farm identified in the study had an overall healthy population of salmon, with a low mortality, which showed normal behavior and growth rates. As confirmed in this study, the specific cause of HSMI has not been established, however it is associated with the Piscine Orthoreovirus (PRV) in B.C. Although the specific cause of HSMI has not been established, the population of fish studied entered the marine environment free of PRV. The SSHI investigators utilized the latest diagnostic technology to test 500 heart samples from four Atlantic salmon farms in B.C. for 45 microbes with pathogenic potential and did not find any diseases considered of significant importance to the World Organization for Animal Health including Infectious Salmon Anemia (ISA), Infectious hematopoietic necrosis (IHN), Infectious pancreatic necrosis (IPN) and Salmon Alphavirus (SAV). Three of the four farms studied did not have diagnosed cases of HSMI. The BC Salmon Farmers Association joined as a partner of the Strategic Salmon Health Initiative in 2013 because our members believe that more investigation into the health of wild and farm-raised salmon is imperative.

Lol....bones you asked, AA delivered, then you ignore... too funny.
You ask the question and all the answers are provided there right in front of you. If you ask more questions. Then clearly you aren't reading. You are just a smoke and mirrors guy just like the rest of them.
Awesome...

I haven't ignored anything, what did I ignore?please explain...
Are you talking about the link
"Disease transfer between aquaculture and wild populations" is not unidirectional by Bigdogeh: http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...sent-bc-salmon-farms.64482/page-2#post-807410

I have briefly looked at it, but all I see is sample data from various other rivers, vedder etc. I was expecting a straight forward answer, something that is straight forward and simple, not a link full of this and that, sortta like a pile of " smoke". isn't there just a paper that says " we have studied 2000 samples from farmed and wild salmon and there is these diseases and they where found in both samplings. The problem is there isn't, or is there?

Rockdog.... I ask why does it take 4 links. You accuse me of smoke and mirrors, lol.Could you post just a simple paper that is excepted by peers that shows and list all the problems with disease and wild/farmed salmon relationships. Could you show a paper that shows wild salmon are being infected by this? Please all this smoke in the room I cant see clearly

Bones, for both PRv and ISAv - among other disease vectors - has been found in both cultured and wild stocks. Those disease vectors are closely related to Norwegian/Atlantic strains. There is a history of diseased eggs for the Pacific open net-cage industry being allowed in.

The debate is not whether ISAv and PRv have been released into the Pacific and wild Pacific stocks - but rather if there is a noticeable population effect that can be demonstrated on the wild stock trajectories - and whether those particular disease vectors are to blame, in whole or in part.

Since DFO and CFIA are in denial about the ISAv test results (and those reasons have already been discussed at length on other threads) - and surprisingly still denied by the industry for PRv - otta sight - otta mind for a few.

Since DFO and CFIA and the Provincial Vet still refuse to admit where/when disease outbreaks happen in BC - in real time and with geographic location - they are also refusing also to let other authorities to investigate things like transmission dynamics, virulence and mortality on wild stocks.

Last edited:
I'm not 100% because they dont come right out and say it but I think the article by the SSHI posted above is saying (by omission) 1 in 4 farms tested did test positive for HSMI? I know their saying that 3 out of 4 tested negative but they omit saying anything about that fourth one. If it did test positive, that's 25% and is a substantial number. Certainly cause for concern IMHO.

Rockdog.... I ask why does it take 4 links. You accuse me of smoke and mirrors, lol.Could you post just a simple paper that is excepted by peers that shows and list all the problems with disease and wild/farmed salmon relationships. Could you show a paper that shows wild salmon are being infected by this? Please all this smoke in the room I cant see clearly
I think your expectations are a bit naive - if you expect that "all" of the potential and realized impacts (inbreeding, many different disease transfers and mechanisms, sea lice transfer and impacts, benthic issues, WQ loaded, forage fish losses, etc, etc,) would be listed in just one paper, bones - and current. There are literally dozens and dozens of peer-reviewed papers out there that list in detail - usually a certain study on a particular issue. There are broader-level ones that attempt to look at it as a whole - w/o all the specific issues - like the Ford study.

Last edited:
I was going to cite the Ford study. However, a simple search on Google yieldsd many, many different studies that shows the negative impacts.
I don't think I need to spoonfeed you. Anyways, I'm done playing, I'm leaving for the weekend. Have a good one All.

I'm not 100% because they dont come right out and say it but I think the article by the SSHI posted above is saying (by omission) 1 in 4 farms tested did test positive for HSMI? I know their saying that 3 out of 4 tested negative but they omit saying anything about that fourth one. If it did test positive, that's 25% and is a substantial number. Certainly cause for concern IMHO.
exactly, if there are problems with farms then where is there a simple paper saying so? there isn't. there's 100's of papers that suggest there are problems. AA honestly all your different papers are hard to follow, and i'm the one that's filling the room with smoke!!!lol.

I guess the BCSFA would have some answers for you, bones - that would be both "simple" and biased - but in the sciences - it works like case law - one case adds to the others - it's a compilation of "evidence" - and the "weight of evidence" is that there are some serious concerns with the open net-cage operations and impacts to wild stocks...

I think your expectations are a bit naive - if you expect that "all" of the potential and realized impacts (inbreeding, many different disease transfers and mechanisms, sea lice transfer and impacts, benthic issues, WQ loaded, forage fish losses, etc, etc,) would be listed in just one paper, bones - and current. There are literally dozens and dozens of peer-reviewed papers out there that list in detail - usually a certain study on a particular issue. There are broader-level ones that attempt to look at it as a whole - w/o all the specific issues - like the Ford study.
i dont think so i asked this question
wasn't this only found in one fish on one farm?

and you came back with all kinds of different answers, you go on to include sea lice, inbreeding, forage fish, etc. it not answering a questions really. the question revolved around desease but i got sealice answers or i have naive expectations. no i don't, you said: "Already has been proven, Dave - esp. wrt PRv and ISAv" i ask this one:"wasn't this only found in one fish on one farm?" the answers are getting all mixed up, what does forage fish and sea lice have to do with PRv and ISAv?

Back