Thousands of 10-pound Atlantic salmon, catch as many as you want!

Once the feed lot rearing faciltys for atlantics have been removed we still have in the water the feed lot pens freash /salt for wild /hatchery coho /chinook,rainbow, those ranched salmon are the ones we in bc boast about in saltwater reports.remember the fisher that had his licence suspended for clubbing a fish and releasing it.dog fish get released kindly.both were great table fare,and you chopped a salmon up for bait.you should have found someone to prepair the fish for consumption and tried some yourself.

Copied from castanets news service:

2nd salmon farm occupied
https://www.castanet.net//content/2017/8/screen_shot_2017-08-31_at_5.01.31_pm_p3246812.jpg
Photo: seashepherd.org
The Canadian Press - Aug 31 5:03 pm
Members of two First Nations say they have occupied a second salmon farm on B.C.'s coast.

Chief Willie Moon, also known as Okwilagame, says about 16 members of the Musgamagw Dzawada'enuxw and the Kwikwasutinuxw Haxwamis arrived at the Wicklow Point salmon farm on Thursday afternoon.

He says about five protesters plan to stay until the provincial and federal governments revoke permits for the facility on Broughton Island, about 50 kilometres east of Port Hardy.

Moon says his First Nation has spent decades trying to bring forward their concerns about long-term environmental damage caused by fish farms in their traditional territories.

The protest began as members of the 'Namgis First Nation and the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society continued their occupation of a salmon farm on nearby Swanson Island, which started last week.

Both farms are owned by Marine Harvest Canada and spokesman Ian Roberts said Thursday the company is concerned about what is now "a very unsafe situation" and has asked the groups to leave.

He did not elaborate on the safety concerns but said the company is responsible for the safety of everyone who enters its private workplace.

"We would appreciate hearing the concerns of the Musgamagw Dzawada'enuxw and Kwikwasutinuxw Haxwamis First Nations directly, to find solutions where necessary, and to provide information that show our salmon farms to be operating responsibly and with little environmental impact," he said in a statement.

Moon said his community has opposed the industry since it was first introduced and has never signed an agreement with any company operating in its traditional territories.

Agriculture Minister Lana Popham has said she plans to speak with First Nations leaders about salmon farms at a gathering in Vancouver next week, which Moon said he plans to attend.

Copied from castanets news service:

2nd salmon farm occupied
Photo: seashepherd.org
The Canadian Press - Aug 31 5:03 pm
Members of two First Nations say they have occupied a second salmon farm on B.C.'s coast.

Chief Willie Moon, also known as Okwilagame, says about 16 members of the Musgamagw Dzawada'enuxw and the Kwikwasutinuxw Haxwamis arrived at the Wicklow Point salmon farm on Thursday afternoon.

He says about five protesters plan to stay until the provincial and federal governments revoke permits for the facility on Broughton Island, about 50 kilometres east of Port Hardy.

Moon says his First Nation has spent decades trying to bring forward their concerns about long-term environmental damage caused by fish farms in their traditional territories.

The protest began as members of the 'Namgis First Nation and the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society continued their occupation of a salmon farm on nearby Swanson Island, which started last week.

Both farms are owned by Marine Harvest Canada and spokesman Ian Roberts said Thursday the company is concerned about what is now "a very unsafe situation" and has asked the groups to leave.

He did not elaborate on the safety concerns but said the company is responsible for the safety of everyone who enters its private workplace.

"We would appreciate hearing the concerns of the Musgamagw Dzawada'enuxw and Kwikwasutinuxw Haxwamis First Nations directly, to find solutions where necessary, and to provide information that show our salmon farms to be operating responsibly and with little environmental impact," he said in a statement.

Moon said his community has opposed the industry since it was first introduced and has never signed an agreement with any company operating in its traditional territories.

Agriculture Minister Lana Popham has said she plans to speak with First Nations leaders about salmon farms at a gathering in Vancouver next week, which Moon said he plans to attend.

Whether for or against FF this is WRONG!

If this happened at my work place authorities would be called, protesters removed and charges laid in very short order.

Whether for or against FF this is WRONG!

If this happened at my work place authorities would be called, protesters removed and charges laid in very short order.
I think their point is that the fish farms are the occupiers ,trespassing on the tribal territory. Saying "please go away" . just doesn't work.

I think their point is that the fish farms are the occupiers ,trespassing on the tribal territory. Saying "please go away" . just doesn't work.

Please spare me the tresspassing bs.
Take it up with governments.. please dont say they already have..because if they have AND theres been a judgement then it sounds like they are just not happy with the results.

sounds like you believe this demonstrating is just fine that means you!..(if you own a home?) wouldnt mind having your place you call home or (if you work) have that taken over by some demonstrators what ever they might have a beef with..
Take it throught the proper channels..all else in my books loses credibility.

I agree that they are trespassing - as far as the Canadian Criminal Code or wherever else that is defined. I also agree that I wouldn't want that to happen in my home.

Not necessarily taking anyone's side - but - as far as Traditional and Unceded Coast Salish Territory goes - the farms did not get permission to impact the FN resources. Governance and Title (in legal terms) is still held by the holders of Rights and Titles in their Territory.

So what to do when asking nicely doesn't work?

Not sure I would resort to this option - but that was their decision and right to. I hope that both sides are being polite and respectful - as it could escalate, otherwise.

Please spare me the tresspassing bs.
Take it up with governments.. please dont say they already have..because if they have AND theres been a judgement then it sounds like they are just not happy with the results.

sounds like you believe this demonstrating is just fine that means you!..(if you own a home?) wouldnt mind having your place you call home or (if you work) have that taken over by some demonstrators what ever they might have a beef with..
Take it throught the proper channels..all else in my books loses credibility.
No. In general I am not in favour of behaviour such as this. I do however in this case see their point. If I owned a farm and the government gave someone permission to treat sewage on it, I would be upset.

But Michael Rust, a NOAA researcher who co-authored the technical memorandum, said the risk of farmed Atlantic salmon passing diseases on to wild fish is low. And, over the years, he says, they have not been able to interbreed with Northwest native species or successfully establish themselves in the wild over multiple generations.

They are more likely to be prey than predators, Rust said. “These things are kind of couch potatoes. They are domesticated. Imagine a dairy cow getting lost out in the Serengeti. It doesn’t last very long.”

After Atlantic salmon spill, fish farms’ future under attack on both sides of border
Originally published September 1, 2017
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-future-under-attack-on-both-sides-of-border/

No. In general I am not in favour of behaviour such as this. I do however in this case see their point. If I owned a farm and the government gave someone permission to treat sewage on it, I would be upset.

Ahhh.."in this case"..because its a FF..

I see it doesnt effect you or others(me included) at this moment in time..but next time for a different reason it might

Becareful what you wish for

Ahhh.."in this case"..because its a FF..

I see it doesnt effect you or others(me included) at this moment in time..but next time for a different reason it might

Becareful what you wish for
Well, yes I do object to open net ff s. But I also think that because this 1st nations group has lived there for many more centuries than Canada has been federated, and they were not beaten in a war, or in any other way gave or sold their territory, I think they have a strong legal argument.

Well, yes I do object to open net ff s. But I also think that because this 1st nations group has lived there for many more centuries than Canada has been federated, and they were not beaten in a war, or in any other way gave or sold their territory, I think they have a strong legal argument.

So when you fish or hunt or even live in "their" territory do YOU get their permission?
Anyone who defends these protests and then turns around and doesnt get " their approval" to enjoy "their land" are Hippocrates all of you

Last edited:
Back