Thousands of 10-pound Atlantic salmon, catch as many as you want!

salmongraph582__page_thumb.jpg

cache_663623804.png
Yep, Harrison Sockeye don't die before spawning.......bahahahahaha. Actually, on some years Harrison Sockeye can have a great deal of prespawn on the front end before improving later on. No mention in the graphic.

That tail doesn't look like a net pen fish. Would've been a nice fish for someone on the east coast where those live.
Anyways, you aren't swaying anybody. Most I think know whats up. Time to sing another song birdie.

My point is not how great those fish are or how fantastic a fishery it is. They are neither. My point is to counter the Representation that salmon aquaculture activist have made about the quality and appearance of farmed Atlantic salmon through their selected images. That is all I am getting at.

And I may add to my last post that these images of normal looking Atlantic salmon are a problem and these activists are aggressively seaking photos from the public of any fish caught that show defects of any kind. We will see what happens.

You guys are working overtime on the PR since the video and the escapees.
I think the point is this, because we can argue this until the cows come home. Let the scientists do their thing, and then we will read the results and the public can make decisions based on that. Rather than arguing what the scientists are saying against what a couple of feedlot workers are saying. The fact is one has credibility, the other not so much.
You guys are pretty focussed on Morton, but the reality is that it's scientist all around the world that are saying this. Including those in Norway. How are you guys going to argue against it is beyond me.

Cleaned up the nonsense posts as best as possible. This is an important issue so we do not want to lock the thread. However, if you can't keep the personal, pot stirring and mudslinging posts from happening, you will find yourself on the outside looking in. Keep it on track and respectful and everything will be fine.

I think the point is this, because we can argue this until the cows come home. Let the scientists do their thing, and then we will read the results and the public can make decisions based on that. Rather than arguing what the scientists are saying against what a couple of feedlot workers are saying. The fact is one has credibility, the other not so much.
You guys are pretty focussed on Morton, but the reality is that it's scientist all around the world that are saying this. Including those in Norway. How are you guys going to argue against it is beyond me.
I actually agree with letting the scientist do their work however it does not seem reasonable for myself as a fish farmer to sit back and watch activists continue with false misleading information. Why would I do that? Why would a scientist do that?
As far as I know I am the only salmon farmer on this forum. I pretty sure of that actually.
What activist do not do is be open about what is not known and needs work. Activists can have half of our population believing false information but in the end it does more damage than good I think.

One more time … the main reason countries like Norway, Scotland, Ireland and provinces like Newfoundland and Nova Scotia have problems with farming Atlantic salmon is past escapees breeding with wild fish. It is not because of disease transfer, or at the population level, lice infestation.

Farmed salmon breeding with wild salmon lowers the genetic diversity of a population, and when wild stocks are depressed ( like they are wherever wild Atlantic’s live, with the possible exception of Russia), this problem increases.

The fact Pacific and Atlantic salmon cannot reproduce is why BC and Washington State are in such an enviable position for farming these fish.

The recent release of farmed Atlantic’s is unfortunate but biologically is insignificant compared to the vast numbers of ranched salmon put out to sea every year.

is morton a scientist or activist tho?

Bones - My point is it doesn't matter what Morton is. Science is the problem that the farms have. You guys are focussed on her, but that's not your biggest problem.

Dave - Norway also has problems with disease and sea lice, just like we do. That has been mentioned many times here over the years and I know you know that.

Bird - You are not the only feedlot worker and you know that. The Kid I believe is PR for Mainstream or something like that. I've met him at a health and wellness show which I found quite ironic. He was pushing candied Atlantics there. Our conversation started when I walked past the booth and he offered me some. I politely said no thanks, and he asked me why....

For a guy
One more time … the main reason countries like Norway, Scotland, Ireland and provinces like Newfoundland and Nova Scotia have problems with farming Atlantic salmon is past escapees breeding with wild fish. It is not because of disease transfer, or at the population level, lice infestation.

Farmed salmon breeding with wild salmon lowers the genetic diversity of a population, and when wild stocks are depressed ( like they are wherever wild Atlantic’s live, with the possible exception of Russia), this problem increases.

The fact Pacific and Atlantic salmon cannot reproduce is why BC and Washington State are in such an enviable position for farming these fish.

The recent release of farmed Atlantic’s is unfortunate but biologically is insignificant compared to the vast numbers of ranched salmon put out to sea every year.

I have been trying to hold my tongue on this thread, but your position is that we are lucky in BC to be one of the few spots in the world where open net fish farms have not resulted in the necessity of poisoning streams to try and put the genie of escaped Atlantics back in the bottle?
The rest of the world envies us??
That is not what I have heard from anybody on my vessels when we pass by multiple open net fish farms as we travel this beautiful coast.

Dave - I would have expected a more professional and honest response from an informed poster. You also offer no proof of your claims.

Genetic introgression is obviously a large and additional impact that Atlantic watersheds and Atlantic wild salmon stocks have been subjected to vis-a-vis Atlantic salmon open net-pen aquaculture escapees that Pacific drainages don't have - agreed.

But they have also have very much the issues will all the problems you listed - disease transfer (ISAv, PRv, HMSI, BKD, and many, many more), or at the population level, lice infestation - as well as slice resistance, benthic impacts and water quality issues, etc.

Bones - My point is it doesn't matter what Morton is. Science is the problem that the farms have. You guys are focussed on her, but that's not your biggest problem.

Dave - Norway also has problems with disease and sea lice, just like we do. That has been mentioned many times here over the years and I know you know that.

Bird - You are not the only feedlot worker and you know that. The Kid I believe is PR for Mainstream or something like that. I've met him at a health and wellness show which I found quite ironic. He was pushing candied Atlantics there. Our conversation started when I walked past the booth and he offered me some. I politely said no thanks, and he asked me why....
Well said, Rockdog!

And I expected better from you as well aa. As usual we keep going in circles and will do until either you are proven right re your disease transfer concerns (40 years and counting, still waiting ... ) or wild Pacific's are a thing of the past due to climate change and/ or poor management decisions.

And I expected better from you as well aa. As usual we keep going in circles and will do until either you are proven right re your disease transfer concerns (40 years and counting, still waiting ... ) or wild Pacific's are a thing of the past due to climate change and/ or poor management decisions.
Already has been proven, Dave - esp. wrt PRv and ISAv. That also has been covered before on these threads...

Back