Third Line Tricks?

Red Monster

When fishing for springs, like most folks with smaller boats I don't like to run more than one rod on each rigger. Stacking lines while fishing for springs seems like way too much hassle. But what about a third line running in the middle that's not on a downrigger? Is this more trouble than it's worth? If not, how would a third line best be setup? With or without weight? Without a flasher? Maybe a small flasher? You could run spoons without a flasher. Maybe you could drag a lure right on surface? Any thoughts? Any details on best practice? Any interesting experiences[?]

I have tried dragging all sorts of wacky, shallow 3rd lines around. I have had no success except a couple times in schools of Pinks or Socks, so I plan to try a herring jig next time, especilly if I see some bait around. Maybe some fresh bait will come in handy.

That said, I like stacking 2 lines. I like the bottom line to be in a forward rod holder and keep that line to the outside and keep the line fairly tight to keep the loop small. Top line with a long leader behind the clip so the setup is circling well behind the loop from the other line.

Tangles are usually caused be steering problems that would probably just as well tangle lines from two different riggers.

I have tried dragging all sorts of wacky, shallow 3rd lines around. I have had no success except a couple times in schools of Pinks or Socks, so I plan to try a herring jig next time, especilly if I see some bait around. Maybe some fresh bait will come in handy.

That said, I like stacking 2 lines. I like the bottom line to be in a forward rod holder and keep that line to the outside and keep the line fairly tight to keep the loop small. Top line with a long leader behind the clip so the setup is circling well behind the loop from the other line.

Tangles are usually caused be steering problems that would probably just as well tangle lines from two different riggers.

I mounted a third rod holder on the transom. I do not stack for chinook just for chums and sockeye's on the dowriggers. However I put a rod out the back and tow around a fly or small spoon with a small weight on a lighter leader right in the prop wash when there might be coho around or when the chinooks are fairly shallow (example when fishing for them shallow 25 to 30 feet like at the big or small Q in September) Limited results but I haven't done it enough on my boat to really comment however I have seen unreal results last year fishing on a friend boat on the west coast of VI.

Cheers ME

I mounted a third rod holder on the transom. I do not stack for chinook just for chums and sockeye's on the dowriggers. However I put a rod out the back and tow around a fly or small spoon with a small weight on a lighter leader right in the prop wash when there might be coho around or when the chinooks are fairly shallow (example when fishing for them shallow 25 to 30 feet like at the big or small Q in September) Limited results but I haven't done it enough on my boat to really comment however I have seen unreal results last year fishing on a friend boat on the west coast of VI.

Cheers ME

I've stacked 6 rods off two downriggers with limited success when I'm realy hunting for fish. However, one tangle means a lot of work, and your fellow anglers had better be on the ball (I can think of one winter trip that I was ready to bring the boat back to the marina without my guests). Good way to load up on socks in a hurry.

I've stacked 6 rods off two downriggers with limited success when I'm realy hunting for fish. However, one tangle means a lot of work, and your fellow anglers had better be on the ball (I can think of one winter trip that I was ready to bring the boat back to the marina without my guests). Good way to load up on socks in a hurry.

With that wall of tackle does it scare away the seals????

:D:D

Cause if it does I might try it

With that wall of tackle does it scare away the seals????

:D:D

Cause if it does I might try it

Friends of mine always us a planner board for their center line to get it down. They have caught many of springs on it.. when the fish hits the preasure pops the planner up and the resistance is gone.. I'v never used one myself, but they have always done well on their center line..

Friends of mine always us a planner board for their center line to get it down. They have caught many of springs on it.. when the fish hits the preasure pops the planner up and the resistance is gone.. I'v never used one myself, but they have always done well on their center line..

I have one rod not on a downrigger the majority of the time. The rod on the downrigger and the rod not on the downrigger seem to produce about the same amount and quality of fish. I tie my own leaders that clip on, about halfway down there's a clip for the lure (usually a spoon on a long leader) and farther down is a clip for the weight. I usually use 12 ounces and it keeps it down there. Today we caught 2 beautiful 15lb+ springs, one with the downrigger and one without.

We fish one rod on each downrigger and first thing in the morning we put a plug out the center with 4 ozs of weight and 30 or so pulls.After the suns up aways we pull it in and put it away.Some years really good some not so good.I tried stacking the rods for springs but unless you have a really good fishing partner it can turn into a gong show.DAN

Anyone fishing Sooke in the thick of the summer run would be insane to stack lines with the traffic out there.Reminds me of Costa Rica at rush hour.
Gonna try downrigging and cutpluggin at the same time this year at Nitinat-two riggers and one centerline.Think I have the cut down after lots of error

A bucktail 15 feet behind the boat worked quite well for cohoes at Malcolm in mid- Aug.,2004. Couldn't keep them, but it was fun on an 8 wt.

Back