Coho Fishing Tactics off Bowen

I would forget the stackers. If you want to run 4 rods just buy number 1 or Mag dipseys. They have a directional plate on them with a weight so they pull off to the side. With only 4 lines in the water you'll never have tangling issues if you run them at a 2 or 3 setting (as long as you have the settings set correctly for the applicable side of the boat. Just make sure you run the dipseys as your high line and downriggers as your deeper lines. Run your dispeys to the sides and further towards the bow from the downriggers.

Size 1 dipseys can easily reach a depth of 50 feet on a 3 setting and Mags can get deeper. Dipseys out fish riggers on my boat 5 to 1. They love the action. I would run line counter reels on your dipsey rods so you know exactly how much line is out, so you can duplicate that if it gets hit. You'll also need a longer rod with good backbone because they pull real hard. Run them with the rod tip near the waters edge. Try running some Brads super cut plugs. On every body of water I've fished, Coho's will hit them.

I mainly fish the great lakes but I've fished in California, Oregon, and Washington. You can use great lakes techniques on the ocean. You won't have tangle issues. Dipseys on a 3 setting 50 feet down will be a solid 50 feet to the side of the boat. The key is running a V pattern where your lines on the outside and towards the bow are the shallowest and your deepest lines on the inside and towards the back. Once you run dipseys, you'll never think about stacking again
I was hoping to try this. I have a dipsy- magnum I think. I lost my last one not sure how...trouble with my line maybe. I have only one rigger and tried to use it last year at the Fraser on the opposite side. Maybe coho are the fish to try again with if they are relatively shallow.
Quick question since you fish back east--Do you have to fish as deep out there? I watch videos on YouTube...."Dan the Fisher" etc, and it always seems that the fish are pretty shallow. Is that the case? Or are there just lots of them?.....sorry for the thread hijack.

I would forget the stackers. If you want to run 4 rods just buy number 1 or Mag dipseys. They have a directional plate on them with a weight so they pull off to the side. With only 4 lines in the water you'll never have tangling issues if you run them at a 2 or 3 setting (as long as you have the settings set correctly for the applicable side of the boat. Just make sure you run the dipseys as your high line and downriggers as your deeper lines. Run your dispeys to the sides and further towards the bow from the downriggers.

Size 1 dipseys can easily reach a depth of 50 feet on a 3 setting and Mags can get deeper. Dipseys out fish riggers on my boat 5 to 1. They love the action. I would run line counter reels on your dipsey rods so you know exactly how much line is out, so you can duplicate that if it gets hit. You'll also need a longer rod with good backbone because they pull real hard. Run them with the rod tip near the waters edge. Try running some Brads super cut plugs. On every body of water I've fished, Coho's will hit them.

I mainly fish the great lakes but I've fished in California, Oregon, and Washington. You can use great lakes techniques on the ocean. You won't have tangle issues. Dipseys on a 3 setting 50 feet down will be a solid 50 feet to the side of the boat. The key is running a V pattern where your lines on the outside and towards the bow are the shallowest and your deepest lines on the inside and towards the back. Once you run dipseys, you'll never think about stacking again
Tried dipsey divers off Bowen before I put the downrigger on my Sea Doo. No tides or kelp on the Great Lakes. Staking gives you guaranteed depth variety. Troll a jig as a second option for coho, if you hit a big bait ball, stop and jig it.

Last edited:
I was hoping to try this. I have a dipsy- magnum I think. I lost my last one not sure how...trouble with my line maybe. I have only one rigger and tried to use it last year at the Fraser on the opposite side. Maybe coho are the fish to try again with if they are relatively shallow.
Quick question since you fish back east--Do you have to fish as deep out there? I watch videos on YouTube...."Dan the Fisher" etc, and it always seems that the fish are pretty shallow. Is that the case? Or are there just lots of them?.....sorry for the thread hijack.

I would run it on a 2 setting if you're running it opposite your solo rigger . It'll pull to the side of the boat enough to be outside of the downrigger and it'll catch fish. Probably more fish then your rigger.

Fish depth depends on time of year and water temperature. Sometimes we are catching them in the top 30 feet. Steelhead and cohos in particular like it close to the surface if the water temp allows it. Sometimes when targeting kings or if the water is warm we'll be catching them 70-140 feet down. I'm not sure what you consider deep. It's all a water temperature thing.

Tried dipsey divers off Bowen before I put the downrigger on my Sea Doo. No tides or kelp on the Great Lakes. Staking gives you guaranteed depth variety. Troll a jig as a second option for coho, if you hit a big bait ball, stop and jig it.
Doesn't matter. If you run your gear properly your dipseys can run over your downrigger lines and you don't get tangled (Plus the tide is pushing everything equally in the same direction). Same with Kelp. There's no reason downrigger lines would "run better" with kelp then dipseys. We have plenty of aquatic veg over here. If you're in a weedy area you just have to pull lines and check your baits more often.

Dipseys can run just as deep as stackers, and you can be just as precise, catch more fish, and it's less work.

Doesn't matter. If you run your gear properly your dipseys can run over your downrigger lines and you don't get tangled (Plus the tide is pushing everything equally in the same direction). Same with Kelp. There's no reason downrigger lines would "run better" with kelp then dipseys. We have plenty of aquatic veg over here. If you're in a weedy area you just have to pull lines and check your baits more often.

Dipseys can run just as deep as stackers, and you can be just as precise, catch more fish, and it's less work.
How much time have you spent fishing in the pacific with 15 ft tides, bull kelp, springs hanging out 200-250' down and amongst a fleet of boats operating in tight quarters? There is good reason we run 20lb balls. This is all a bit comical.

Back