Thinking of selling 2012 Merc 50

Bugs

Hey Guys, Thinking of repower and trying to decide if it is worth it. Wondering what I can get for my existing motor. Would $1500 be reasonable?

The good:
2012 or 13 model year 4 stroke
Starts reliably and runs well
Freshwater flush after use
Regular oil and filter changes, water pump last replaced fall 2019, thermostat at similar time
Painfully honest owner (see below)
Still on the boat and can be seen starting from cold and operating.

The bad:
The upper plastic part of the cowling is cracked and glued. I dropped it on the pavement and it shattered on third bounce
A magnet dropped off the flywheel about 2 years ago and shattered. I was too cheap for the $500 flywheel from Wisconsin so I epoxied in a sightly different magnet. It has run well for many hours with this fix but a new flywheel would be the best solution.
It has always been a bit loud. I figured it was just loud but after talking to a merc mechanic it may be that an exhaust baffle has become disconnected. A plate that is involved in the exhaust system came loose the year I got the motor and the shop recommended just taking it out. I think this is related.
External rust on tilt trim pump but still works great.

The ugly:

For a year or so I struggled with very stiff steering. I thought that the bushing in the vertical pivot tube must have broken or something. Repairing this means removing the powerhead and was not an option. After various approaches the problem miraculously resolved when I used the fancy mercury branded lubricant. Maybe at some point two dissimilar grease types reacted in there or something. Who knows. The pivot tube is still slightly stiff.. but not a big deal. Still, given I don't Really understand problem in first place it is worth mentioning.

It would come with an older merc remote control if wanted

Attachments

• IMG_4652[1].JPG
    IMG_4652[1].JPG
    347.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4653[1].JPG
    IMG_4653[1].JPG
    248 KB · Views: 37
if it comes with controls and everything I think you could easily get 1500 if not more for it prob 2500 on facebook lol

Back