Raw water flow, Mercruiser 470

Kolbads

Well, my “new” Commander 26 is still on the trailer, after I’ve worked on it much less than anticipated this summer. Sticking with the plan to to get the essential seaworthiness things done and use it for a season, but it will be next season.

At this point, both engines start easily and sound pretty good to my inexperienced ear.

Question. Port engine on muffs and garden hose. Does this look like reasonable flow? (1982 Merc 470)
1696358965261.jpeg

On stbd engine, raw water pump isn’t putting out a drop, and I’m stymied. I’ve changed the impeller and pump housing and upper seals. When the leg was off I flushed all passages in the leg and engine, in both directions (no debris came out). The impeller must be turning because the prop was and the impeller/shaft key is in place. When checking leg was removed for the second time, I could see that the outlet side of the pump housing was still bone dry. The one remaining thing I can think of is to change the pump base and lower seals/gaskets. I left it in because it looked fine, and also thought that even if the the seals were leaking on the inlet (suction) side, I ran it in a barrel withe water level just above the pump, so I figured no air could be getting in — the pump would remain “primed”.

I just occurred to me while writing this that the exhaust pressure in the lower drive might be greater than the water pressure, so the pump might be sucking exhaust through leaky seals. So my next move would be to replace the pump base and seals after all. Any other ideas please?

Here’s a vid of port engine running. Any comments on engine sound/condition?

And vid of water flow;

No vid of stbd engine because I shut it down as soon as observing no water flow.

Thank you everyone in advance!

I just went through the same problem mine turned out to be plugged water ports on the manifold. Time to change out risers etc. When was the last time they were changed or checked. It could also be your impeller in your leg

Last edited:
If it’s ever had an impeller failure pieces of the rubber impeller can be stuck in the port or hose going to the heat exchanger causing no water flow, best to blow air through and make sure it not clogged, and don’t even turn the engine over with out water flowing only takes a second to tear a dry impeller

@grey-cie , @Dwaynec83 Thanks for replying.

Manifold was off this spring and new (used) exhaust elbow fitted.

While the leg was off for the second time, I flushed all sections of the raw water system from the inlets on the leg to the discharge through the exhaust, in both directions, and they all flowed freely. I’m pretty sure I didn’t miss any section.

Since reinstalling the leg, I have disconnected the raw water hose at the heat exchanger outlet to watch for flow. No flow. (I had both heat exchanger end caps off this summer and the tubes are clear.)

Looks like I’ll be re-doing it all, including your suggestions, and will replace the pump base and gaskets and seals.

Any chance the impeller keyway is missing or had slid out of position during assembly?
Thanks for the suggestion. I was careful to ensure that it stayed in place and was in the slot in the driveshaft. I don’t think I dislodged it without noticing.

Having said that though, if I did everything as carefully as I remember, how could there still be a problem?! I’m pretty sure I’ll just start over, pulling the leg and redoing everything, this time including the pump base and lower seals.

Maybe not until spring though. I’m away for a while. The boat is outdoors, well tarped up as of yesterday.

At this point, both engines start easily and sound pretty good to my inexperienced ear.

Question. Port engine on muffs and garden hose. Does this look like reasonable flow? (1982 Merc 470)
View attachment 98543

Here’s a vid of port engine running. Any comments on engine sound/condition?

And vid of water flow;
Question. Port engine on muffs and garden hose. Does this look like reasonable flow? (1982 Merc
Is anyone able to say if the water flow from the hub in the photo is as much as it should be? Although I couldn’t upload a video (don’t know why), the flow was steady, as shown in the still. 1982 Mercruiser 470, Pre-alpha leg.

Is anyone able to say if the water flow from the hub in the photo is as much as it should be? Although I couldn’t upload a video (don’t know why), the flow was steady, as shown in the still. 1982 Mercruiser 470, Pre-alpha leg.
At 1000 rpm.

Back