Merc Verado V8s

M1SF1T

I'm starting to look at getting a boat built and planning/costing what direction and options I may consider.

I was looking at the Merc Verado V8s, 250 & 300 HP. Same block, same weight hanging on the transom. Is the 250 just derated/detuned? Even if 250s would do the job, why wouldn't I go with 300s? Is it solely a cost factor driving this decision?

Any other differences not apparent in the specs?

Thanks.

This is how all the major outboard product lines work: two to four horsepower ratings from each block and displacement combo. Fuel map and final drive ratio are usually the only differences. If buying new, you'll pay more for the 300. That distinction blurs out in the used market.

Main difference is peak power at WOT. Low end torque is fairly similar between the 250 and 300.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I see there is one other gearing ratio on the 300HP and price difference is negligible considering. everything else.

So again the question: Small price difference aside, why not hang 300s vs. 250s?

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I see there is one other gearing ratio on the 300HP and price difference is negligible considering. everything else.

So again the question: Small price difference aside, why not hang 300s vs. 250s?
In the states going over hp hull ratings can effect insurance. I don't know about the canadian side. So if a boat was produced in the early 2000s when the 300 didn't exist then often the hull would be rated 500hp. Same hull one year later rated 600hp with no changes in some instances (other than the 300s entered the market). That and the extra couple bucks are the only reasons I come up with.

I have a set of V8 sea pros and the 4 stroke V8. If you want the extra 1-2mph have at the bigger hp.

Are you running Vessel View or any other Mercury systems with your outboards?

Is anyone using Vessel View with Furuno MFDs? Does it still give full functionality through nmea connection?

I have not heard of the Furuno mfd linking to vessel view. Lowrance/simrad is your least expensive link and then garmin and raymarine. Required vessel view module

Good suggestion, I've seen that "connect" option but I think I'd prefer an integrated solution.

I see that Mercury mentions on its VV403 brochure:
Gateway functionality to allow SmartCraft data to be displayed on NMEA 2000 devices

So maybe that's an answer? Furno MFDs are NMEA 2k I believe?

I really have a lot to learn here... My last boat just had a basic sounder and a standalone GPS and no engine instruments.

You can definitely read Merc engine data on a Furuno device; however, you won't have full functionality. Things like troll control, cruise control and auto trim (if you have the separate module installed) require a Simrad screen. Note that the larger VesselView screens (7" and 9") are just Simrad devices with the Merc software pre-installed.

There is some engine info that isn't transferred via NMEA 2000 that you won't get either - i.e. engine hours, faults, errors, etc.

Thanks CBsq.
OK... function is important. I want troll control particularly as I'm not planning a kicker with twins.
So if I go with the Furuno MFDs adding a small Merc display for functionally is the ticket. Perhaps I won't be that concerned with them talking to the MFD anyway if I have a dedicated display. Or is that something I would really miss?

If you plan to use Troll control when your hands are wet the simrad screens are a bit of a pain. I have one set of the mercs with the basic circular gauges and one with the 7" simrad unit. Using the Troll control on the basic gauge that has an actual button is much more functional and you can feel for it instead of having to actually look. Button works no matter the weather...

Are you running Vessel View or any other Mercury systems with your outboards?

Is anyone using Vessel View with Furuno MFDs? Does it still give full functionality through nmea connection?
one boat has the 7" simrad (Merc rebadge with the added Merc softwar that costs an extra grand), then it shows on the 12 simrad as well. I have the 7" simrad on deck with a Troll control but the touch screen doesn't work worth much when it's wet. Merc doesn't offer a button style trolll control on their fly by wire stuff like Zuk does.
The other boat it isn't integrated. Shows up on the basic gauges and that's it. I like the basic gauges just fine although they don't give you quite as much info (clearly with intent on mercs side). I guess they look kinda caveman-ish on a new boat but I did it anyway.

Thanks CBsq.
OK... function is important. I want troll control particularly as I'm not planning a kicker with twins.
So if I go with the Furuno MFDs adding a small Merc display for functionally is the ticket. Perhaps I won't be that concerned with them talking to the MFD anyway if I have a dedicated display. Or is that something I would really miss?
My suggestion would be to use the Furuno as your main screen (Nav/Radar/Fishfinder) and have a VesselView as your engine gauges and controls. With the dedicated VV screen you will have the ability to network them together if you want but you will probably find it easier to keep the engine data on one screen and leave the Furuno for everything else.

Here’s my setup:
- Furuno TZTouch 14
- VesselView 9
- Garmin Autopilot

Everything is networked through NMEA 2000 (plus some other devices like AIS, VHF, etc.). I use the Furuno for nav, autopilot, radar, and as the fishfinder. The Vessel view is always set up as the engine screen - engine gauges, fuel, troll and cruise control. I also control the stereo through the VesselView. Sometimes when I’m fishing I might split the VV screen to put a chart up as well for extra detail.

I could get engine gauges in my Furuno, but I never do that as I have the dedicated screen already. The charting on the Furuno is WAY better than the VV / Simrad unit, despite it being 7 or 8 years older; it’s faster, clearer and much easier to use.

I’ve never had a problem adjusting the troll control in the screen.

Lots of good info guys, thank you. I'm starting to understand how this can come together.

@CBsqrd - does the Garmin AP link into the Merc controls? Did you look at a Furuno unit at all? Or the Merc unit?

I have the VV403, and it has buttons, no touchscreen nonsense. Functionality is the same as the larger touchscreen Merc displays in terms of engine management, but you don't have the option of using it as a sounder/plotter. It will send all your engine data over NMEA to you plotter, and if your plotter is Lowrance/simrad you get the extra functionality too. With Merc engines your really do want to consider going Simrad or Lowrance for your plotters.

Lots of good info guys, thank you. I'm starting to understand how this can come together.

@CBsqrd - does the Garmin AP link into the Merc controls? Did you look at a Furuno unit at all? Or the Merc unit?
The Garmin autopilot can send and receive information from either the Furuno or Simrad / VV (or a Garmin/Raymarine display for that matter), but it can only do so with one at a time. In the NMEA 2000 settings you have to designate which device is providing the info to the autopilot so the autopilot "knows" which device to listen to.

I've tried using both displays with the autopilot and the Furuno is much easier and faster. Also, with the 9" VV screen, I find splitting the screen to use a chart for the autopilot makes the engine info too small and cluttered. At least with twins anyway, maybe if you had just a single engine it would be OK.

Back