There's a new guide in town ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why the smaller class of boats have dissapeared? Many fishing locations hardly require you to leave sight of the dock. Like any business there's an investment in boat, insurance, fuel etc. it just seems odd that the cheap option isn't even available in most places. I'm not knocking the guys that run 20-40 miles in search of fish and put in serious hours on big boats.

it's like wanting a cheap cab but there's only limousines available.

We use a guide for our hali trip every year and spend close to a $1000 per day for our charter. That $1000 get us a qualified guide who has years and years of fishing experience, a safe trip, and our quota of halibut. And yes he has a beer but only after we have docked and we are cleaning fish like a responsible guide should do. Would cheaper be better ... well maybe for cost but not for the experience of catching fish and knowing that we will make it home safe. There are lots of great guides out there who are sfbc members give deals to people on sfbc so if you want to save money hire one of them. I have 10 years with my guide (prior to joining this forum) or i would gladly hire one of them.

You guy's complaining about charter prices. I have a deal for you.

Buy my 27 footer off me, go get your C licence and all the courses required to meet Transport Canada, Coast Guard and Insurance expectations. Then a Coast Guard Inspection Certificate to insure you are in compliance with all safety equipment and expectations on board. Then last provide me with proof of commercial insurance, Captain certifications and some kind of proof that you can catch a fish..

Once you have all the above completed. I will book 3 - 4 day trips or 12 days a year with you for the next 5 years to fish the banks off of Bamfield or Uke. Willing to pay 800.00 per 10 hour day for 3 people per trip of 4 days.

Oh; You must also clean and bag all fish caught each day after fishing, while I drink beer and ******** on the dock. Don't forget we will expect a clean fully fueled boat for 5 am every day.

Want 75,000.00 for my 2007 fully rigged Sea Ray Amberjack boat. Includes all tackle, down riggers, kicker, trailer and anything else I have laying around that pertains to fishing.

Ill say this its like the Old saying goes "You get what you pay for" it goes for everything. My grandfathers good friend used to guide/charter back in the 70's to the mid 90's on the sunshine coast and all over. The overhead is HUGE!!! for a proper guiding/charter operation.

You have to produce regardless of the situation, people pay big money and expect results and if those results aren't there, anger arises and lack of return is huge!. My grandfathers friend used to fish a day before his charter was scheduled, load up with a some decent sized springs and coho and put on ice for the customers in case of a "skunking" because we all know they happen but the paying person doesnt care, so he would provide them with fillet salmon regardless if they caught or not to ensure the experience is great!

He would gut and clean all the fish, and after the long day he would stay up till midnight cleaning the boat and prepping gear for the next day, while the customer would drink and eat.

His old boat ran dual 455 Old's and they were worked hard every year and during the downtime slow season he would pull the engines and have them fully gone through and rebuilt and have 1 spare brand new engine in the boat house wrapped in plastic ready to go if it needed to happen, he would even pull all nighters just to swap the engine a day before a charter if there was any sort of doubt in his mind!

that's the kind of commitment and money it takes to play this game, your paying for someone who cares/done his certification, has put in his time, money, and skill up for your enjoyment.

For all those who think those of us who charge at the top end of the scale are charging too much. Well....you crawl out of bed 7 days a week at 4am and have the boat fueled, cleaned, gear tied and ready for a 6m start...fish until 4pm (with people you often don't really know) then clean and fillet the fish, vacuum pack and freeze the catch, then go clean up the boat, get on the road by 6:45 to head home and arrive home at 7:30 pm. Deal with the phone calls as soon as you arrive because people are waiting for you to call them back, have a quick shower and scarf down a semi cold dinner and be in bed by 9pm...repeat. Last year the longest consecutive was 47 days (July 24th to Sept 8th) with that exact schedule EVERY day!!! No summer with the family, no weekends off, no social evenings with your buds...just work, eat and sleep. Good forbid you have a mechanical crisis in the middle of it all. Most of you guys saying the prices are out to lunch have no idea of the costs involved to do this properly. This is also my livelihood not a casual part time gig to supplement a pension. I'm sorry if I feel that at 56 years of age i'm entitled to have dual ownership with a bank on a home in Victoria. No one here has even mentioned the marketing costs involved in any business venture. Do you think it is just put a name on the boat and have someone make a one page website and your phone will ring off the hook?! Your cheapest advertising is word of mouth, but it takes years to build up a clientele base that will generate new business. Until then you have to rely on paying for pretty much everything to expose you to the buying public.
BTW some of the marinas take the 1st hour you charge as a fee for the privilege of being able to work from their docks. Even if the charter group has nothing to do with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder how much extra business the guy is getting from the publicity in this thread?

Anybody ever hire a "cash deal" contractor/tradesman?
Same deal and caveats apply here.

Just mho.

Wow , profisher. Wow
Maybe send the guy a friendly email instead of bashing the **** out of him on here and "checking his boat out" that's just outta line.

Obviously the guy won't last or cut Into your business. Tons of ppl do this sort of stuff , there just smart enough not to make online adds...and it does't affect the "pros" who are charging 1000 a day.

But yeah, looks like he just needs a fishing buddy to split costs with

Wow , profisher. Wow
Maybe send the guy a friendly email instead of bashing the **** out of him on here and "checking his boat out" that's just outta line.

Obviously the guy won't last or cut Into your business. Tons of ppl do this sort of stuff , there just smart enough not to make online adds...and it does't affect the "pros" who are charging 1000 a day.

But yeah, looks like he just needs a fishing buddy to split costs with

but if he is accepting or asking for any kind of payment , he is now a transport canada nightmare.......

I think it's good the guy is being exposed. Wouldn't you want an illegal commercial fishermen, water taxi, whale watcher to be exposed? Why is a guide boat any different.

It might end up being Profisher that has to help this guy out one day.

For all those who think those of us who charge at the top end of the scale are charging too much. Well....you crawl out of bed 7 days a week at 4am and have the boat fueled, cleaned, gear tied and ready for a 6m start...fish until 4pm (with people you often don't really know) then clean and fillet the fish, vacuum pack and freeze the catch, then go clean up the boat, get on the road by 6:45 to head home and arrive home at 7:30 pm. Deal with the phone calls as soon as you arrive because people are waiting for you to call them back, have a quick shower and scarf down a semi cold dinner and be in bed by 9pm...repeat. Last year the longest consecutive was 47 days (July 24th to Sept 8th) with that exact schedule EVERY day!!! No summer with the family, no weekends off, no social evenings with your buds...just work, eat and sleep. Good forbid you have a mechanical crisis in the middle of it all. Most of you guys saying the prices are out to lunch have no idea of the costs involved to do this properly. This is also my livelihood not a casual part time gig to supplement a pension. I'm sorry if I feel that at 56 years of age i'm entitled to have dual ownership with a bank on a home in Victoria. No one here has even mentioned the marketing costs involved in any business venture. Do you think it is just put a name on the boat and have someone make a one page website and your phone will ring off the hook?! Your cheapest advertising is word of mouth, but it takes years to build up a clientele base that will generate new business. Until then you have to rely on paying for pretty much everything to expose you to the buying public.
BTW some of the marinas take the 1st hour you charge as a fee for the privilege of being able to work from their docks. Even if the charter group has nothing to do with them.

LOL,
When folks say guides are commercial operations, everyone denies it. Yet when someone undercuts your Business, all you do is rant about how tough it is to operate a commercial business.
You can't have it both ways forever. IMHO.

LOL,
When folks say guides are commercial operations, everyone denies it. Yet when someone undercuts your Business, all you do is rant about how tough it is to operate a commercial business.
You can't have it both ways forever. IMHO.

it is a commercial BUSINESS ,,,, but everyone involved are still "sports fishing" do not confuse the two... different argument altogether! lol

Woe is me... pretty sure you chose this job and weren't forced into it.

Yeah they do. Uber or whatever it's called gets em' whining pretty good. I have experience with both expensive and discount trips with guides. Most expensive was when we Went on a thousand dollar boat ride with a guide who'd been in business over 25 years. This dude totally ignored any requests me or my girlfriend made. In fact I managed to hook a skate about 8' to 10' long. He cut the line as soon as I got it up to the boat saying you don't want that it's a garbage fish. . My old lady didn't even get a look at it and I had no time to even take a picture. The guide complained the whole trip about how much it cost to do it and how customers were never happy. Also couldn't shut up about the 200k his boat cost and what the next improvements were going to be. All in all was a waste of money and time. Guys gone tits up now and is no longer in the guiding business. Cheapest guide we were with was very safety Oriented. Life jackets on the whole trip, watch for waves ect ect. Got an anchor stuck, only caught a couple rock fish and ran over his own crab trap line.
Only a couple rock fish and ran over his own crab trap. This second guys rates were
Half what the expensive guys rates were. Results were the same. Laid out hard earned cash and got little in return. I don't hire guides anymore, but if I did I might take advantage of a guy like this. I know it's called fishing not catching but even being inexperienced fishers we can do at least as well on our own, in our own boat than these two trips.

Anyone notice the guy has pulled the add and his tel # out of the post. Seems he got the message. If anyone thinks this type of on-line bashing is hard to swallow, you should see what goes on dockside, on the water, and on the radio. Even if the guy was legit, he would take his lumps on and off the water as he struggles to make his name.

The battle between weekend guides and "pros" is not new and not unique to Sooke. It also has zero to do with the regs - it's straight up protectionism. If safety were the primary goal the guides would not be fishing 50 days straight / 16 hours per day. Couldn't do that in a truck as far as I know.

This thread is starting to go in circles so before it goes off the rails, we are going to close it. As stated, this is nothing new and will never be solved on our forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back