There's a new guide in town ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well had a few minutes before my trip to check this guys boat out. Totally illegal!! No life ring, no radar reflector, no 360' mast light, not only no digital vhf radio interfaced with gps but no radio at all!!! I doubt he has the required TC approved life jackets etc etc. didn't even see a fire extinguisher.

Are all those things mandatory? There are certainly established guide boats working elsewhere w/o many of those.

What's the "C" stand for. I've been out with guides a few times and have to admit I never paid attention to the numbers.

QUOTE=profisher;418134]I have no problem with anyone starting up a business and going after the low end of the market...just do it on the up and up like the rest of us. I had to pay the costs involved in being legit with TC and so should everyone else. Every guided charter boat needs a "C" number showing it is registered as a commercial passenger vessel and then needs a current compliance sticker to show the boat and operator comply with vessel and operator requirements. In my mind the most important of all of these requirements is the proper first aid course that is not only passed but kept current as required so you don't forget what you have learned. Of the courses I took I felt I got the most out of the first aid and also felt that what I learned would likely be useful at some point in time.[/QUOTE]

Are all those things mandatory? There are certainly established guide boats working elsewhere w/o many of those.
All mandatory. Most guide boats carry a helluvalot more than that as well. Really shows that it separates the pros from the schmoes.

clintr; said:
What's the "C" stand for. I've been out with guides a few times and have to admit I never paid attention to the numbers
"C" is the Commercial designation required by all business craft that transport the public in marine areas.

All mandatory, didn't even see an anchor which also required for obvious reasons

C number shows you have registered as a commercial vessel which are under TC jurisdiction. The vessel must pass a stability test among other things.

All mandatory. Most guide boats carry a helluvalot more than that as well. Really shows that it separates the pros from the schmoes.

"C" is the Commercial designation required by all business craft that transport the public in marine areas.

So all those guided open boats plying the North coast, or even putting to and fro the famous Tyee grounds are schmoes. I guess things have become a lot more dangerous out there over the last 20 years.

So all those guided open boats plying the North coast, or even putting to and fro the famous Tyee grounds are schmoes. I guess things have become a lot more dangerous out there over the last 20 years.

i asked about this, and it came down to the clients wearing pfd while on board... or i would also have to have a railing 4" high around my tray to meet requirements.

Have a closer look next time you are up there. You will see that all of those guided and self guided open boats run radar reflectors, GPS attached to DSC VHF radios, AIS transponders and they also have a safety officer in a 20 foot Ribby with twins on the back who is on the water and usually within a half hour away. Then also have a look at how many of the guides with all that equipment (who put in more than 120 days a year on the water) ever require assistance. Safety equipment isn't a list, its an attitude. Go ahead and fish with the saltwater cowboys if you wish. I'll stay with the pros.

If you made a list of the guides that are known to be legit and compared there prices you will find them remarkably similar for a reason. The overhead is a big driver of the price and it is not a cheap biz to get into. By the time you meet all the qualifications, get insurance, pay for fuel, tackle, bait , ice, moorage, safety gear, maintenance, ect. ect. and take what is left over and divide it by the hours you have to put in, you are making a pretty low wage. That is why there are not all that many full time guides. The guy in the add is most certainly not legit because his price does not cover his overhead. I would be really careful going out with guy like that . It amazes me how people balk at the prices of legitimate guides. If a person only goes out 1-3 times a year it is far cheaper and productive to hire good guide than to bear the burden of owning your own boat and all that goes with it. Like most things in life you get what you pay for and this is especially true with guides.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you made a list of the guides that are known to be legit and compared there prices you will find them remarkably similar for a reason. The overhead is a big driver of the price and it is not a cheap biz to get into. By the time you meet all the qualifications, get insurance, pay for fuel, tackle, bait , ice, moorage, safety gear, maintenance, ect. ect. and take what is left over and divide it by the hours you have to put in, you are making a pretty low wage. That is why there are not all that many full time guides. The guy in the add is most certainly not legit because his price does not cover his overhead. I would be really careful going out with guy like that . It amazes me how people balk at the prices of legitimate guides. If a person only goes out 1-3 times a year it is far cheaper and productive to hire good guide than to bear the burden of owning your own boat and all that goes with it. Like most things in life you get what you pay for and this is especially true with guides.
Very much agree with this. And if you want cheap salmon, your best bet is the grocery store. ;-) I'll wager that my self caught salmon are some of the priciest per pound out there.

yup with most of our luck our fish are easily worth $500 - $1000 bucks a pound lol! with all the repairs, and fuel, and gadgets or extra gear :p

That boat being an inboard outboard is also required to have the ability to dampen the air intake into the doghouse and have a swing gate access in the doghouse to shove a CO2 fire ext nozzle into the hole and put out a fire without lifting the doghouse which would give it more O2 and feed the flames. Technically you are supposed to be able to operate a fire system while still staying at the helm...but for smaller boats they allow what I described over an automated suppression system.

Anyone have a link to what qualifications a guide needs and to what different equipment they need compared to a regular boater? Looked on the transport Canada site but couldn't find it???

Yah good luck trying to find anything on the TC site...definitely not user friendly. Better off calling a local TC office and have them send you a list.

Transport Canada

Anyone have a link to what qualifications a guide needs and to what different equipment they need compared to a regular boater? Looked on the transport Canada site but couldn't find it???

Try and Google or go to Transport Canada site - Small Commercial Safety Guide - TP 14070 E
It is pretty extensive and has lots of info

Requirements ...... Marine F/A, SVOP, Med A1 or 2, ROC, Stability Tests, Boat complete T/C Compliant, Smoke and heat detectors plus Fire ports on inboard, Proper Extinguishers, High water alarms and bilge, Life Jackets , NOT PFD's, Flares .... ..... " C " Numbers ..... the list goes on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back