There's a new guide in town ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know several that drop there rates low like that to get business. I am just saying if I did it myself I would charge the same rate as others. I am in a field where I get unregistered, and guys undercutting me all the time.. A lot of these peopl are guys starting out with hardly any experience/or qualifications. And personally its irritating as you talk to clients and that person is offering 60% less than everyone else. If more people do it you end up with guys asking for 300 charter in this case or whatever field your in. That is just my view.

I don't know the person but hope that they have all there numbers,and the requirements to run as charter boat. I wish luck to them/ and not trying top bash but I personally as it stands wouldn't do a trip that cheap and dont even guide. When you become a business owner you really don't understand the costs involved. Especially on starting up. Just my view.

The best profession if you ever want to see a solid association is the dentists/dental surgeons/orthodontists that never undercut. Those guys are the most organized group ever worked with. They have a fee guide and no one breaks it. So you it doesn't matter who you go to, and they give themselves a percentage raise every year..I think they get fined if they break the guide. You go to the person based on service and not on money. I know this is fishing but in my opinion should be treated as any other experienced profession. It helps the industry truthfully.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a guy with nice little boat who needs a fishing partner to help cover his expenses.
He'll get you lots of Pinks, but will wait to see how he does with the Springs.

I know several that drop there rates low like that to get business. I am just saying if I did it myself I would charge the same rate as others. I am in a field where I get unregistered, and guys undercutting me all the time.. A lot of these peopl are guys starting out with hardly any experience/or qualifications. And personally its irritating as you talk to clients and that person is offering 60% less than everyone else. If more people do it you end up with guys asking for 300 charter in this case or whatever field your in. That is just my view.

I don't know the person but hope that they have all there numbers,and the requirements to run as charter boat. I wish luck to them/ and not trying top bash but I personally as it stands wouldn't do a trip that cheap and dont even guide. When you become a business owner you really don't understand the costs involved. Especially on starting up. Just my view.

The best profession if you ever want to see a solid association is the dentists/dental surgeons/orthodontists that never undercut. Those guys are the most organized group ever worked with. They have a fee guide and no one breaks it. So you it doesn't matter who you go to, and they give themselves a percentage raise every year..I think they get fined if they break the guide. You go to the person based on service and not on money. I know this is fishing but in my opinion should be treated as any other experienced profession. It helps the industry truthfully.
No disrespect but comparing that "profession" to guiding is a stretch plus when is the last time you went to a dentist and didn't feel ripped off "x-Ray" just in case "anything changed" please they should be a criminal organization. Doctors with their licence to practise, yeah on you! Just saying guides in Victoria charging a 1000 bucks is steep I have looked at all the "requirements" and they don't warrant that 500 and your still making money. Fire away!

Personally I'd be happy for a less expensive, blingy option. I prefer hands on fishing from a smaller boat over the semi-commercial numbers game cruises. It would be a nice option for less wealthy locals to occasionally get out and appreciate, and therefore support B.C.'s sports fishery. For those not jaded, loading up on pinks or jigging kelp greenling is great sport.

No disrespect but comparing that "profession" to guiding is a stretch plus when is the last time you went to a dentist and didn't feel ripped off "x-Ray" just in case "anything changed" please they should be a criminal organization. Doctors with their licence to practise, yeah on you! Just saying guides in Victoria charging a 1000 bucks is steep I have looked at all the "requirements" and they don't warrant that 500 and your still making money. Fire away!

And that is where we disagree anyone in trades all way through professions do more harm chopping each other down then charging close to same rates. It doesn't help any of the business owners..That is what I am saying. Just an opinion carry on..

And yes there are some F/T guides and that is all they do so I would argue its is pretty much a profession. As far as the dentist from first hand experience from liability and years at school, and cost to run assistant hygienists and office equipment the price is on par. Sorry I should have compared something else just speaking from experience. All I meant is they are organized in there fee structure.

Im not bashing anyone, all must make a living and its not getting easier. There is a market for full on guided fishing trips on awesome boats with top notch guides as demonstrated by the large number of guiding companies. There are no free rides in todays economy and I am not suggesting that, but I do feel there are a whole lot of people that would love to take their son, daughter, visiting relative out fishing for the day and cannot afford their whole vacation or trips spending money on a days fishing. I also expect there are lots of parents working hard to pay the bills not having the money for guided trips and have no friends with boats. An outfit that wants to cover costs in a smaller boat and does not expect a large proffit margin may help access this clientel base, nobody could dispute the return one gets from seeing the kids and parents faces when the pinks are on. Do those people know or care about springs or tyees??? The more next generation that enter into our sport cannot hurt.

The idea about all charging set fees for work sounds more like a Union???

My .02c

HM

And that is where we disagree anyone in trades all way through professions do more harm chopping each other down then charging close to same rates. It doesn't help any of the business owners..That is what I am saying. Just an opinion carry on..

And yes there are some F/T guides and that is all they do so I would argue its is pretty much a profession. As far as the dentist from first hand experience from liability and years at school, and cost to run assistant hygienists and office equipment the price is on par. Sorry I should have compared something else just speaking from experience. All I meant is they are organized in there fee structure.

It is a profession, and as such should be considered commercial fishing, not recreation. Guides have no business being considered sports fishing. Its a business and a commercial operation. Guides need to create their own professional association and fight for their own quota, not be part of the sports fishing fleet.
There, now I feel better!

It is a profession, and as such should be considered commercial fishing, not recreation. Guides have no business being considered sports fishing. Its a business and a commercial operation. Guides need to create their own professional association and fight for their own quota, not be part of the sports fishing fleet.
There, now I feel better!

Have to agree to some degree. Many guides these days have gear and technology not unlike that of commercial vessels with the goal of maximum allowable harvest. How often do guests do any more than just wind in the fish. It has become a commercial venture using public resources. It is unlike guides of the past that used to do it to fund education or subsidize Summer unemployment.

Do you guys ever listen to yourself?

If I didn't own a boat, I would be hiring a guide to take me fishing just like thousands of other sports anglers that don't own a boat. The guides are providing transportation and information to licensed sport anglers. Pretty far from commercial fishing IMO. This wedge driving is exactly the kind of discussion the commercial sector likes to see on these forums. We have to be the largest group we can for a voice at the political level. We have to be united and stand up for the great opportunities we already have and hopefully will still have in the future for our children and grandchildren.

As for the original link, those guys seem to come and go and are posted up here for entertainment purposes I suppose. I would never hire a guy like that. Probably doesn't have the proper insurance yada yada etc.

Sculpin..thank you. All us guides do is supply a fishing platform and our skills to those who often have neither. I take out kids, the elderly and those who have little time in their lives to justify owning a boat and that will only sit 50 weeks of the year at a dock or in a driveway. BTW Here is the how I differentiate between a commercial fisherman and a charter guide. A commercial fisherman earns a living by the pound...the more pounds he lands the more money him and his crew makes . A guide earns a living by the amount of hours he fishes and makes the same amount of money at the end of the day if his customers kill a fish or not. There is not one commercial fisherman alive who can make a living by coming home empty!!!! End of that story. On the subject of the original post...I will be looking for this individual as he states he is at the same dock where I depart from. As someone stated he has "K" numbers and therefore no qualifications and not certified by TC. As a result no insurance and a dumby in my mind as he could loose everything he owns in a lawsuit over liability.

I know this is a tough topic so I wont say much more. I like guides. They provide a service. They work hard. I value everyones opinion.

The difference for me is simple. I fish for fish. Guides fish for money. Not the same thing, no matter how you dress it up. IMO.

Regardless of where you stand in the definition of guided fishing, comparing them to the commercial fleet is ridiculously erroneous. Calculate the value/pound for any guided sport caught fish and you will see the great benefits of guided fish value vs. commie fish value to the economy and contribution to the GDP.

Do you guys ever listen to yourself?

If I didn't own a boat, I would be hiring a guide to take me fishing just like thousands of other sports anglers that don't own a boat. The guides are providing transportation and information to licensed sport anglers. Pretty far from commercial fishing IMO. This wedge driving is exactly the kind of discussion the commercial sector likes to see on these forums. We have to be the largest group we can for a voice at the political level. We have to be united and stand up for the great opportunities we already have and hopefully will still have in the future for our children and grandchildren.

As for the original link, those guys seem to come and go and are posted up here for entertainment purposes I suppose. I would never hire a guy like that. Probably doesn't have the proper insurance yada yada etc.
Thanks Sculpin that was a good comment.

[On the subject of the original post...I will be looking for this individual as he states he is at the same dock where I depart from. As someone stated he has "K" numbers and therefore no qualifications and not certified by TC. As a result no insurance and a dumby in my mind as he could loose everything he owns in a lawsuit over liability.[/QUOTE]

Rollie, he's the young aussie guy on the first row on the right. Nice enough guy but comes off as pretty redneck. Haven't seen his boat around the last couple weeks.

GnB

I do think there's a need for cheaper guide options, smaller boats maybe with lesser gear? Clearly it's hard to survive doing that otherwise we would see more of them. Small boats only seem to survive if they can contract out to a fishing lodge.

The guides being commercial fishermen debate is silly though. They are providing a service for recreational fishing, end of story. I personally don't like seeing "full limits of everything" photos but its a separate issue.

Guys like this come and go every year, in every market and in virtually every industry. Those running respected, reputable businesses are rarely affected negatively in the long term.

From what I have seen, for the most part, Professional guides seem to have a rate structure that is pretty comparable within different regional markets. At the end of the day, this is a free market and should remain so. If Joe Blow wants to take his courses and get the proper insurance to take out paying customers for $299/day, he is well within his rights to do so. But his business model is probably unsustainable unless he's god's gift to fishing and his boat runs on sea water so he's not likely going to last. The guys doing it without proper insurance etc. are taking on massive risks and consumers should learn and understand those risks as it can have a direct negative affect on their lives. The best way to deal with this is to educate customers and potential customers with the risks of a unlicenced outfit and the benefits of a professional. That's pretty true for all industries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back