The offical..lets ***** about area 17 thread....

Derby

Crew Member
Though we could start a stand along thread that can be blown up..... fire away boys....

I would normally stay away from this kind of discussion but since you brought it up.......
does it make sense that SVI has been under restrictions for years now
while other area's are still open ?
Especially since it's obvious that the Fraser fish travel
all the water's around Vanc island ?
Not looking for a **** storm, just a logical answer.

c9583-6a0133f30ae399970b01901c5cf135970b-800wi.jpg

Guys complain about being closed, claim their impact is minor and that they should be open yet try to throw other areas under the same bus. Instead of putting effort into trying to get your fellow sports fisherman shut down, why don't you try to get the nets specifically intercepting these fish in the river shutdown.

The Georgia strait is finally recovering and is starting to support a huge mix of stocks feeding year round. That data backs it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
The CWT data shows the majority of upper Fraser fish are being caught in the Chinook corridor which was implemented to get as many of those fish safely through to the river. Very reluctantly the SVI guys voted to support these restrictions, knowing it was the right thing to do. I certainly can't argue with their logic.

As for Area 17 and the suggestion we impose similar restrictions. I would support that if there was data that demonstrated this was the right thing to do. However, it makes no sense to simply have sympathy closures, when the right thing to do is to also ensure that we create opportunity for fisheries to take place as opposed to impose unnecessary restrictions.

Further, the vast majority of Chinook being caught in Area 17 from my personal experience are Harrison River whites. I've only caught 1 red so far, rest are whites/marbled Chinook. Maybe my catch is atypical but I doubt it. It doesn't seem to make much sense to close down an Area fishery that according to the data and our experience thus far isn't contributing to statistically significant interceptions of Upper Fraser fish. Why would we do that?

Every Area has its challenges, and from time to time has to implement restrictions aimed at ensuring we have a sustainable fishery. Changing topics to provide another example, in Area 23 for the 2013 season we implemented an under 77 cm restriction to ensure we got enough large spawning females into the river...looks like same for 2015 unless the data starts showing something different.

I'm allowed one Ling per day ( for a limited annual total) in area 17.....and the Chinooks have to be 62 cm length.

Unlike some other areas where the pickings are much better......

Though we could start a stand along thread that can be blown up..... fire away boys....

Bad idea :p:confused::eek::rolleyes: (I'd stick more emoticon's in there but the choice is limited lol :D). Maybe the owners of the site could work on that :cool:.

Searun, a number of the mid and upper Fraser runs, which are the weak early summer and summer runs of chinook, have a component of white springs in their stocks. These are not the low quality, late returning Harrison whites but the highly prized white springs that some folks prefer over reds. Any white springs caught now through to almost September will either be up river Fraser's or are headed south of the border.

Ukee

Any white springs caught now through to almost September will either be up river Fraser's or are headed south of the border.

Ukee

Well good thing you don't work for DFO. Our head returns for May-July showed that we were catching a number of white Chilliwack river fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the mid to late 80s I fished in my backyard-Samsun Narrows, Pollier pass, Thrasher. These locations provided awesome chinook action, but once the Georgia basin changed the fish weren't there. We picked up stakes and made the drive to Cheanuh marina every weekend to fish Sooke. Put the boat in the marina for the summer, and enjoyed that for years. Maybe if you guys are choked on the regs down south drive an hour and fish! not a big deal, if you love to fish like I do it's nothing to do that drive. Bonus you get to learn a different area! just my opinion

I have no problem takin a slot sized salmon home if i had 30-50lb Hali to go beside it [emoji12] all area's are going to have a Pro's n Con's... That's whats awesome about having a boat on a trailer.. You can trailer it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no problem takin a slot sized salmon home if i had 30-50lb Hali to go beside it [emoji12] all area's are going to have a Pro's n Con's... That's whats awesome about having a boat on a trailer.. You can trailer it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anytime you want to come down Jeff....

You want some bitchiing here it is! As Canadians we are all equal in opportunity and we only get one vote during an election, so my ability to catch fish here there or anywhere should be my right as a Canadian and protected by the Canadian Charter of Rights, why should we who live in the "nicer areas" of the Province be penalized and those that have to live in the areas we don't like get to keep fish and we can't? This reeks of fisher people (politically correct) discrimination, we need a "good for one and good for all" approach to this outrageous treatment. Once again we are rolling over to allow the unfortunate few that have to fish area 17 to gloat and post pics of their success. I'm calling for an immediate ban on this outrageous behaviour and the cancellation of reports from Area 17 especially Nanaimo. Now you may ask yourself, why is Barrie on this rant? Is it because he ran up to Nanaimo from Victoria by water last year to fish the fabled run and hardly got out of Nanaimo because it blew for 3 days, only to have the winds drop on the ride home or is he a fisher person (politically correct) that's disappointed cause somebody has it better than the fishers on the South end of the Island. It seems to me the only solution is that these fish need to be intercepted and relocated to areas where they will be appreciated! Thanks for reading and have a nice day!

Back