The offical..lets ***** about area 17 thread....

There are absolutely whites in the upper Fraser, I'll try to track down some info by the end of the week and will post once I have it.

Ukee

Ukee ain't dreamin.Having gillnetted the Fraser from 1963 until six years ago and until the 80's when we were shut down on early chinooks for conservation purposes with a promise that
we would get our fishery back once the stocks started to rebuild,during which time the entire early chinook fishery was handed over to a special breed of people :( I can confirm that from
April - August we would have about a 10-20 % mix of whites in our catch and these were definitely not late lower river stocks. They were identical in body makeup as the reds and had a
similar high level of body fat and were excellent eating. The late Harrison whites are a different animal and as mentioned, started to arrive in early Sept.

There are whites in upper Fraser have caught and released many.use to think they were not as good as reds to eat .big mistake not all springs are great eating regardless of color.that includes skin color also some of the best eating spring I have eaten have been very colored up.its all about fat content

There are absolutely whites in the upper Fraser, I'll try to track down some info by the end of the week and will post once I have it.

Ukee
question
how many Upper Fraser River fish are caught and retained in the month of May with no restrictions in the Nanaimo waters within Area 17?
Does anyone really know for sure...common sense says plenty...but who ever accused DFO of having any common sense?

What rivers were those upper Fraser Whites in? Like I said unless I mis-interpreted what we were told in the meeting it was clear there were no upper Fraser whites in our fishery, which I took to mean the range of white chinook is limited to the lower Fraser. What we were also told was the Harrison (AKA lower Fraser whites) do not really go far and hang out on both sides of the Island. They don't migrate up into Alaska generally either. So I'm absolutely interested in hearing more about rivers where there are runs of whites.

Bye the way ever since the native started drift netting thanks to no balls dfo failing to enforce the regulations with the natives.this run is going down hill fast.they are netting right now on a run that should be left alone.the Columbia had a one day count of springs over bonneville dam at 13,000 fish

WTF?

I have been busy trying to stay out of the BS you start on this forum and here you drag me in like this! Gloves off now Derby! LMFAO

oh there u are ..I was just checking to see if you were still alive...:) yup part of then Avid angling group doing the DNA stuff for the last couple years..pretty interesting stuff

definitely not enough heat on this particular thread yet...

but c'mon, dont **** on our parade here - we get 8-10 weeks of decent fishing a year at best and until you can prove to me where these fish are coming from, go fish your own areas in which you have 365 days to choose from, or come on up.

interesting that the numbers seems to be doing well year after year in 17 yet the bitching that we are wiping them all out is getting worse?

Ukee ain't dreamin.Having gillnetted the Fraser from 1963 until six years ago and until the 80's when we were shut down on early chinooks for conservation purposes with a promise that
we would get our fishery back once the stocks started to rebuild,during which time the entire early chinook fishery was handed over to a special breed of people :( I can confirm that from
April - August we would have about a 10-20 % mix of whites in our catch and these were definitely not late lower river stocks. They were identical in body makeup as the reds and had a
similar high level of body fat and were excellent eating. The late Harrison whites are a different animal and as mentioned, started to arrive in early Sept.

I'm wondering if some of those whites you refer to in the early season gill net fishery were actually lower Fraser fish from the Pitt and Birkenhead?? Did you happen to get any genetic testing results?

Check out the Fraser river test fishing for chinook in 2003 and in 2013 you will see how bad it's getting.plus the fish size are way down no big fish left .

I'm wondering if some of those whites you refer to in the early season gill net fishery were actually lower Fraser fish from the Pitt and Birkenhead?? Did you happen to get any genetic testing results?

Sorry ,don't have that info but if someone has a connection to DR.Brian Riddell he may have that info available. Probably the most knowledgeable individual on the planet re B.C. salmon
Brian Riddell
President & CEO Pacific Salmon Foundation
604-664-7674 Ext. 105
briddell@psf.ca

Richard Bailey is the DFO Chinook Biologist for Fraser stocks so would be the best source of data collected from the test fishery. Richard has anecdotally shared with me that there are a lot more white springs in the upriver stocks than originally thought, particularly compared to the older CSAS studies that generically classified lower river fish as having predominantly white flesh and upper river fish being predominantly red.

Having said that, I believe it was Kelly who pointed out a very significant fact, while the fish being sampled in the Albion test fishery in the Lower Fraser have obviously moved through the approach areas it doesn't mean that there aren't resident and feeding fish in the same areas that are spending significantly more residence times there. While Georgia Strait/Salish Sea waters had gone through a cycle where most chinook and coho were vacating it for WCVI and areas to the north, as evidenced by stronger fisheries on the inside for a few years now that trend has likely reversed.

My original statement should have been - just because it's white doesn't make it automatically a harrison origin fish, as there are definitely white chinook in the upper fraser stocks as opposed to my statement it was unlikely to be Harrison this early in southern waters. The latter statement was unfounded. My apologies!

Ukee

Richard was working a lot on Interior Fraser Coho as well...and if he is indicating that the Whites being caught in Georgia Strait may be Interior Chinook I suspect that there is something at work other than historical fact. The Interior chinook at risk are very different from the lower Fraser chinook....very different....the Interior 5 sub 2 fish and 4 sub 2 fish are in fact recorded as ' open Ocean" migrants...they go out Juan DeFuca and go out to the real open ocean, they do not follow the coast line...they certainly historically never stayed and reared in Georgia Strait, which all the lower Fraser white Chinook do have an established history of doing...South Coast Stock Assessment folk will be happy to let UkeeDreaming in on the pattern of distribution of Lower Fraser DNA results, and the separate, different pattern of the Interior chinook open Ocean migration patterns if he wants to ask...which it appears he has not done.

Yes, to be clear again, my comments are specific to white flesh phenotype chinook occurring in upriver stocks, not where those stocks predominantly migrate and occur . Also fyi - Chuck Parken, formerly of PBS, is now the Interior Fraser Coho Biologist.

Ukee

4f50ddf43b2606047563af45251543dd.jpg
i cant tell what river it's from but Damn is it good [emoji476][emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff, Derby and I are sitting here drinking beers waiting for you to do a home delivery so we can get some DNA samples of those fish and prove they are from the upper Fraser.:p

Back