The offical..lets ***** about area 17 thread....

Quote Originally Posted by Gear'n'beer! View Post
This thread is no where near bitchy enough
Quote Originally Posted by Fishtofino View Post
Give it time

I fricking hate it when we Mainlanders come across to slip out of area 29 and fish in 17-10/11 during the spring fishery and there are all of these inbred, foul-mouthed sasquatches that walk with a limp, on boats drinking Lucky Lager.
Last edited by Pippen; Today at 02:05 PM

Ah yes... The mainlanders. I saw one of you on the weekend. There was a boatload of guys straight from a bar on Davie street, wearing rubber boots, having an epic fight with a P-cod off the fingers. They were drinking craft beer and palm bay's, saw one guy do a reach around and net a big one. Welcome! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Pippen and Barrie......your bitching is still sub par :D

I was hoping for a full on knock down, drag out.....nanaimo thrown under the bus with some south isle dude driving.....

pity really

Bawahaha--I spent most of April waiting for the wind to drop down.. " you can plan a pretty picnic but you can't predict the weather"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So with one place in LML and another in Yellow Point, I am not sure if I am a tofu eating, craft beer sipping, skinny jean, prius driving hipster-wanna be (I don't own a prius, wear skinny jeans or eat tofu....), OR am I an Lucky swillin, bacon luvin, mack wearin, monster truck drivin, Island redneck.......

Damn, Cannot ***** in this thread no matter what I think........................

GNB
the only problem I have with your "fishery" is having to listen to my buddy up there continually texting me how good it is!!

So with one place in LML and another in Yellow Point, .....................

......AND in Port Moody.....you're like Gollum who never sees the sun! :p Good thing you were battling the demons of the night before on Sunday; that brightness would have messed up a hungover fella from Port Moody somethin' real, real bad. :D

Well good thing you don't work for DFO. Our head returns for May-July showed that we were catching a number of white Chilliwack river fish.

Fair enough but, the vast majority of white springs caught in the Albion Test fishery prior to September are not Harrison fish but are rather upriver fish and that would correspond to the representation of fish in the approach fisheries. Chilliwack does pump out a load of hatchery transplants from the Harrison, I will give you that!

Cheers!

Ukee

Fair enough but, the vast majority of white springs caught in the Albion Test fishery prior to September are not Harrison fish but are rather upriver fish and that would correspond to the representation of fish in the approach fisheries. Chilliwack does pump out a load of hatchery transplants from the Harrison, I will give you that!

Cheers!

Ukee

They won't be getting lower Fraser whites in the Albion fishery until September because they don't hit the river until September.Now that the strait is recovering a bit, it seems there are more fish feeding here and not just passing through before they hit the river. The DNA and head recoveries show that the April, May and June fishery has a totally mixed bag.

They won't be getting lower Fraser whites in the Albion fishery until September because they don't hit the river until September.Now that the strait is recovering a bit, it seems there are more fish feeding here and not just passing through before they hit the river. The DNA and head recoveries show that the April, May and June fishery has a totally mixed bag.

so are you saying that the fish of Nanaimo in April/May are Harrison river whites? If so where are they going after they leave Nanaimo waters?

GNB
the only problem I have with your "fishery" is having to listen to my buddy up there continually texting me how good it is!!

Barrie, I'm just being a jacka$$. I moor in mill bay for April prawning, sooke May to oct and fish out front when my buddy rockdog invites me in his boat. I was hoping to hit area 17 this year but with reno's, fishing partners reno's..... Not looking good. Sure would love to make a day or two trip though, super jealous here

I fricking hate it when we Mainlanders come across to slip out of area 29 and fish in 17-10/11 during the spring fishery and there are all of these inbred, foul-mouthed sasquatches that walk with a limp, on boats drinking Lucky Lager. :p :eek: :p

Hey..don't insult Tidal Chaos like that....;)

Poppa Swiss, I think they make up a decent chunk but it's a pretty big mix. Puget fish, local fish etc.

I wouldn't claim to know where they go with accuracy. I think that's why DFO is pushing on the DNA samples, to find out more about where these fish migrate. I've heard from a number of people that they will actually migrate north up the strait but I don't know if there is any science to support it.

Which are transplants from the Harrison. Technically, the Vedder fish are still Fraser fish.

Yes but they are protecting upper Fraser stocks, not lower river. The lower river white stocks are relatively stable and not a current concern.

GNB,
You are a friggin gypsy! Lol!! I didn't see any mention of WCVI on that fishing list! If you want to ever ride along with with a guy like me, just PM.

Maybe Nanaimo's new head of our SFAC can dig up the results from the sampling that was done last year by
Local fisherman that took samples off the fish they caught and sent in for analysis to find out there genetics for where they came from. From what I remember from those results they were mainly local (Nanaimo/cowichan) and Puget/Columbia fish, it was a small sample group and this was done without DFO. Derby should see if he can get a hold of those results and give us the short and curly of the results.

Searun, a number of the mid and upper Fraser runs, which are the weak early summer and summer runs of chinook, have a component of white springs in their stocks. These are not the low quality, late returning Harrison whites but the highly prized white springs that some folks prefer over reds. Any white springs caught now through to almost September will either be up river Fraser's or are headed south of the border.

Ukee

That's news to me, if you have some information to support that, I'm quite interested in reading it. I just finished sitting in a meeting where DFO science told us those whites are only from the Harrison, Chilliwack, and upper Pit Rivers despite the urban myth. The only reason they are in the Chilliwack is back in the 70's they tried to re-introduce Chinook to the river and took brood from the Harrison thinking they were a close genetic match. Only problem was they were not highly prized by river anglers for all the reasons we know...thus the change over to introducing reds to the Chilliwack.

I used to think there were white chinook in southern US rivers as well. Never heard of any whites in the Upper Fraser. Basically were told what we thought was basically an urban myth except for some further up the coast into Alaska.

So, when we are catching whites off Nanaimo I'm certain they are not Upper Fraser fish.

Back