The Biggest Chinook You Ever Caught.......

Great thread.......what a bunch of monster killers, and the variety of gear is astounding.

I've caught a few that broke the 50 barrier........one 55# white was in the charlottes on a 5" green apex, no flasher

.........but here is the cake topper pic.....a 47 pound marbled Frasier slab caught with a 2" cop car spoon with a whimpy little 3/0 hook, 52" behind a green hot spot.....the hook was only halfway straightened when it hit the net....Didn't notice that till a couple days later...lolIMG_20130831_183109.jpg

The fishing gods have seen it fit to assign me the task of netting all large fish. My buddy's 38# on a 7" cop car spoon, no flasher. My brother's 42# on a betsy combo (anchovy).
All Rennie fish. Personal biggest was 34#, green gold teaser and flasher in 22ft of water. No camera on board. Come to think of it, all my best catches have come on days where I haven't had the camera. Hmmmm...

From left to right:

Biggest hatchery 57lbs QCI (personal)
Biggest ever 68lbs QCI (guided)
Biggest Sooke 50.2lbs (team effort)

Attachments

• Scan 1.jpg
    Scan 1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 623
  • Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_9247t.jpg
    IMG_9247t.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 626
Last edited by a moderator:
Not my biggest but definitely the most rewarding ---- off the Iron Mine just north or Powell River, 10 feet of water, first time I ever dropped an anchovy into the water (no flasher, no nothing, just a firecracker anchovy in a Rhys Davis helmet with a single 3/0 hook)

Five days without a fish, ran out of herring, bought my first tray of anchovies in a fit of desperation, then this fish:

( Put new meaning into the word "perseverance" )

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no pic of the biggest Chinook caught by me, 36 lbs. on a #7 Wonder Spoon off the pulp mill at Gold River, circa 1969, but here's a 50 pounder caught on a Buzz Bomb up near Stewart, BC.

I rowed a guy to this 45 pounder last year in the Tyee Pool. The year before last this fish would have won it all. Last year it was only third biggest.
Caught on a spoon while experimenting.

Take care.

Cpl more from my boat this time... First is my son Tyler, 33 lbs Epsom pt glow green chovy head in 80 ft
2nd my wife Jen with her first Tyee 32.5lbs sangster isle bloody nose teaser head.View attachment 11190

Love to see that you made this a family affair. I have had my son out and he is keen...but nothing more than a 12 lber yet...still awesome to see him on a fish. Almost better than getting it myself--almost!

Love to see that you made this a family affair. I have had my son out and he is keen...but nothing more than a 12 lber yet...still awesome to see him on a fish. Almost better than getting it myself--almost!
I here ya DVL , there is no better thing a man can do in life the teach his children the joy of fishing, then watch them embrace it!!

From left to right:

Wow....as someone about to start guiding in Haida Gwaii this year for the first time, that is some inspiring stuff. Incredible fish

From left to right:

Yo mama, very nice trio - The shot with lodge background has made the rounds in marketing, if I am not mistaken.

Do you know if that hatchery had a CWT and confirmation of hatchery of origin?

The hatch was a sad story. The head was kept as we were told it was one of the largest hatcheries ever taken on the cost. Put the head in the freezer and came back a week later and it was gone. Not sure where or what so we never did find out. Prob a Skeena as it was very early in the year (May 22nd) when I caught it.

Ya RendraW there are big fish to be had still, just keep the flashers in the tackle box and drop a cut plug down near the kelp. 95% of the huge fish up there are caught on Herring not gear.

I think it was 32lbs or so. I caught it with a Blue Fox Spinner on 10lb test mono. I was the only one there so I had to get a lady walking her dog to take the pic.
Salmon.jpg

It was on the shoreline of Lake Ontario at Port hope. The fish was hiding under the white boat in the background. I blind casted a spinner just under the swim platform and he nailed it. That's when I realised that I was under powered.

My Pictures0010.jpg
65 lb king off the wall at Rivers Inlet in 2001 using cut plug herring off the downrigger.
20 lb test fireline and 10' GL2 rod

Back