The Biggest Chinook You Ever Caught.......

What tackle did you catch it on?

Rivers Inlet in 1994...Cut Plug.

Cut Plugs at Langara....on the rigger and on weighted rods. Guided several at various lodges at Langara Island where the biggest ones I and anyone else would remember for a lifetime got away...thank god. One of the many I will remember was positively massive...QCL just down the coast bonked an 82 lber the next day.

Another great cut plugging memory....I remember having a 1500 pound Sea Lion eat a high fifties possibly low 60's at the boat after the fishes first approach...the guests weren't impressed.

The next biggest I remember on a lure other than cut plug or bait was on a 6" Tomic Plug where the fish ripped off 100 yards of line then started to come back towards the boat on the surface. When I got it to within 50 feet of the boat the fish stopped and started to half breach and shake his head out of the water in an attempt to throw the hook. The plug, which was hooked in the side of the mouth, flew sideways about 10 feet from the fish. I estimate that fish as high forties to mid fifties. Lots of big fish around that night, we went back to the dock with a 35 and 33 that night, lost 4 others.

Last edited by a moderator:
53 bella bella army truck hootchie

Cut plugging is a great way to fish, but it is also the way 95% (or higher) of the guys up at Langara fish. There is a reason for that, but I also suspect certain spoons and hoochies would do very well too if they had their chance.

early 2000's 47 lbs on 5" pink and white zinger zinger ( buzz bomb) off pier campbell river.

Last Summer 34 lbs on Rhys-Davis special tease mint with 5" anchovy off Sheringham Point.

45lb white spring last August on Big Bank. Caught on a clear UV hootchie with a UV purple haze B2 squid insert (the Judge Jury and Executioner)

42 lbs. red,Aug.23,blue/chrome teaser head,red hotspot.Biggest commercial trolling,49 lbs. dressed {probably 53-55 lbs.}
7" 232 tomic plug on a 20 fathom leader.

Prince Rupert (Dundas Island) I caught a 50 lb'er on a cut plug.

50lbs_zpsbbd8d884.jpg

45 cut plugging the riviera (Campbell that is). Rocky, that fish was a FREIGHT TRAIN! Was that guy on my gear or yours? I remember chasin' the bugger done to keep some line on the reel :)

Might as well join the club, cut plug (first time ever...thought I'd give it a try) in Sooke, 32lbs

cheers

36 rolling a chovie at Cape Beale. and a 36.5 on a mint tulip behind a silver green betsy. close to home.

Back