Tales From The Tyee Pool......2021..

Thank you Dave this is my first season I’ve got to enjoy your thread from the start to the end. You do as amazing job of capturing the spirit of the annual event. Hopefully I can get out there to see it with my own eyes some day.
Cheers Jody

Epic thread Dave .....but as one Islander to another...fishing sucks over here ...but if you are not an islander ...don't waste your time coming here:)

Have a great winter Dave

Not A Brief Wind-Up To The Season plus Final Night Fiasco

It all started off innocently enough, the last night of the season when we decorate our boats and make one last try for a Tyee, and I always decorate my boat with a blonde and a brunette. I've noted previously there is a good reason for my choice here, given they are much lighter in weight than some of my usual rod-holders, they usually smell better and they are definitely prettier.
Both have hooked fish from my boat too.

We started off at the Clubhouse, assessing the conditions and waiting for someone to go out first so we could judge the effort required to row.
There was a strong wind, but from the west, so the pool was actually in the lee of the Spit, but there was a strong flood tide current which raised some concern.
The best thing that happened at the Clubhouse was finding out that overall, I didn't do as bad as I'd thought, as several of the regulars I see every evening hadn't done much better. A few strikes and a couple of fish seemed pretty good after listening to others talk about their lack of success, and that raised my spirits a bit.

The worst thing that happened at the Clubhouse was deciding to go out, notwithstanding how hard those already out were rowing just to maintain position.

I thought I could do that, or at least give it a try, so off we went. My boat was pumped out and cleaned up for the occasion, my lines had been checked and new plugs tied on, so we were good to go.
Heading out all seemed normal and my crew looked happy and relaxed.
My Helmsman on duty on our way out.

View attachment 70602

And my other crew-gal.

View attachment 70603

All went well and we rounded the end of the Spit and headed southward down the Pool. Noting the strong flood current I opted to start at the north end of the Pool and see how my rowing held up. The crew was clear that if it was too much work they had no problem coming back in, so I gave the instruction to turn out as we reached Van Egan's tree, which Sharon did.

Now, I usually like surprises, but what happened next was not one of those times.
Without any discernible warning the outboard suddenly hopped across the transom then jumped up onto the rear seat of the boat, next to where Sharon was sitting. It was revving pretty good at half throttle and the prop out of the water, so I told Sharon to hit the red kill button, which she quickly did.
Whew!!
A variety of emotions became possible, but I've always been one to be cool in a crisis, so I decided to quickly get the crew ashore and safe, whereupon I would attend to the engine.
I had put one of those Trimax security bars across the toggles that you screw the boat on with, preventing easy access to them, but I had the key in my pocket so I planned to quickly remove that bar, screw the engine back on and carry on.

Alas, I couldn't get the key in so that was the end of that plan.
I got the engine back in place and decided to slowly motor back to my mooring spot while the crew walked across the Spit to meet me at the dock.
For those who passed me heading in rather slowly, with my head down and one hand on the top of the engine, now you know why.
My head was down because I was murmuring words best left unheard, plus I didn't want to attract attention to the steam coming from my ears.

I still cannot figure out exactly why the engine slid across as I'd tightened those toggles as hard as I could plus they were aligned horizontally inside the Trimax tubing so I thought there was no way they could move enough to loosen things up.
I was wrong, and still unsure of why it happened.
So, my season ended with a whimper, not a bang, and my poor crew didn't even get a plug in the water.
Maybe next year.

Here's a photo that summarizes that fiasco quite well.
My crew on the beach and me silently expressing my joy at what has just happened as I get the engine back on and start my slow progress back to the dock.
View attachment 70606

Carrying on with some season end thoughts, I'd like to give a big THANK YOU to Bob and Judy at the Clubhouse.
Once again the grounds looked great and both of them deserve a nod for that as it doesn't happen by accident or by itself.
In addition, Bob kept his good humor even when things got hectic a few evenings with several fish arriving at once needing to be attended to, tourists asking questions and others generally milling around in the way.
Good on ya, as my Aussie friends say.

Here's Judy, enjoying the day in her front yard.

View attachment 70604

And here's Bob, eagerly awaiting the next question someone may ask of him.
Go ahead, ask him what time the Tyee bite. LOL
View attachment 70605

Well done to the two of them, and I'm sure I speak for a lot of people who appreciate their efforts.

Finally, as we traditionally have the Selfie in the boat of crew and Captain on the last day, we decided to keep it alive by faking it on the dock.
Here we are.

View attachment 70607

Kudos to my crew for being so understanding and fun to hang with, notwithstanding how long-suffering they have been.

Thanks to the readers of my annual self-indulgence too.
I appreciate every one of you and your comments.

We'll get 'em next year.

Take care.
Dave
Your stories are always great and much appreciated, especially by us old guys that have sold our boats and live vicariously through others like you. Sad to hear you didn’t land the big one this year. Maybe next year. But, no one could have anticipated the end to the season that you just described - unbelievable. I have had the exact same lock on my last kicker. I can not figure out how it could have come loose? Makes no sense. Do you have any enemies?
Anyway, as I used to tell friends that went fishing with me - “I never promise that you will catch a fish, but I will bring you back alive”. Never had an outboard jump into my boat - could have been bad - go buy a lottery ticket!
Thanks again Amigo
Stosh

Great thread Dave-really enjoy reading it! So am I right in thinking this year was way better than last??
!4 last year and 36 this year, so yep, way better than last for sure.

Fun mostly except for a couple of nights I could have done without.

Like the last one of the season. LOL

Take care.

Always a good thread Dave and your writing is much appreciated by this fisherman. Hopefully next year COVID will be just a memory and we'll all be able to travel more etc. Maybe I'll make a trip up just to watch the action or if you have the time, take a shot at the pool. I know how to catch Cabezon on a salmon plug, so I should fit right in on your vessel.

Always a good thread Dave and your writing is much appreciated by this fisherman. Hopefully next year COVID will be just a memory and we'll all be able to travel more etc. Maybe I'll make a trip up just to watch the action or if you have the time, take a shot at the pool. I know how to catch Cabezon on a salmon plug, so I should fit right in on your vessel.

Thanks and please do get up here next year so I can row you about.

That Bob Main guy is a deadly competitor when it comes to the Cabezon Contest so I could use a good rodman.

All the best.

Take care.

Dave

Thanks and please do get up here next year so I can row you about.

That Bob Main guy is a deadly competitor when it comes to the Cabezon Contest so I could use a good rodman.

All the best.

Take care.

Dave
Dave
I realize the official Tyee Club fishing season ends on Sept. 15. What happens after Sept. 15? Does anyone continue to fish in the pool?
Thanks again for the wonderful stories.
Stosh

Dave
I realize the official Tyee Club fishing season ends on Sept. 15. What happens after Sept. 15? Does anyone continue to fish in the pool?
Thanks again for the wonderful stories.
Stosh

Rarely see anyone fishing the pool after the 15th. but not really sure of status regarding whether you can or not.

Haven't seen anyone this year.

I'll find out for you.

Here's the kind of numbers I like to see on the board during the season.

Hope we get some more next year.

RSCN6936.JPG

Take care.

The Campbell River Special Management Zone is open to fishing until Oct 01 (closed Oct 01). The gear restrictions are still in place (single barbless hook, No weight greater than 6 oz, No Down rigger, No Flasher, No Bait) The use of Powered vessels is permitted after Sept 15th

CRGreg

Happy Hump Day everyone and we have another Tyee to report.

Early this morning, while this old and lazy correspondent lay abed, the intrepid duo of Bob Joseph on the rod and one of the best oarsmen around on the oars, Randy Killoran, managed a great contender for Boot Of The Year with this last morning last day 31 1/2 pounder.

Although a bit darker than most other Tyee this year, that is to be expected this late in the season and the fish was a beauty in all other aspects, being thick and strong and well shaped.

Here they are with their catch.

View attachment 70483

Randy hasn't rowed much this year as he works out of town these days and that was confirmed by the fact several people have actually asked him if he'd stopped rowing because his name wasn't on the board.
Bob, at the clubhouse, has claimed the same question has been asked of him, regarding Randy.

They went back out after the elusive Daily Double and I don't know how they did, but they did good earlier.
Old-timers may recall that Bob Joseph was a guide at Painters some years back, so no novice to the Tyee Pool.

Well done guys.

Take care.
A bit of Tyee Trivia, Bobby Joseph (who also guided at Dolphins way back in the late 1980's) probably caught the largest fish ever landed in the Tyee Pool ! This was back in the late 1980's and was an 80lb+ halibut!

They didn't want to take the beast back with them in the row boat, so put it next to the woodpile, to be retrieved by car later in the a.m. The fish did what halibut do, came alive while they were gone, and knocked over the firewood pile.

Congrats guys!

Back