Tales From The Tyee Pool......2021..

Bloodbath In The Tyee Pool

When there's nothing to report about regarding new Tyee being registered it's always a good idea to open with a lurid headline.

Despite the recent dearth of Tyee, some funs times were had this morning as there was a heckuva bite with at least six little ones boated ranging from 18 lbs. to 28 lb., and all in a short period of time.

Maintaining my nearly impeccable record of sleeping in past 6:00 AM by lending my boat out I didn't find this out until a bit past 7:00 AM and what a scene it was.
There was a line-up at the cleaning table where Bob was kept hopping supplying bags, tags, instruction sheets, offering advice and registering potential new members at the side window when they arrived.
I think he sold a hat to Jim Clowes somewhere in there also.

Anyway, here are a few pics of the carnage at the cleaning table, the line-up on the grass and a couple shots of the two reprobates who caught one from my boat this morning, and, wait for it..........................................................on a spoon.
A white spoon.
RSCN6927.JPG

Lined up with assigned bags. Not sure who this bum is but he had a fish too.
DSCN6914.JPG
Rod-holder Bud with his morning fish.
RSCN6925.JPG

The interesting thing about this fish, boated by Big Bud while Karl rowed, was that something had taken a chunk out of it and left some large scrape marks on it, although the crew didn't see any Seals or Sea-lions while they were playing the fish.
RSCN6924.JPG

This was probably the smallest fish of the morning at 18 lbs. or so, but at least it put some fish slime and smell back in my boat, giving me reason to insist they wash it out before they left.
RSCN6928.JPG

They did so now my boat is clean and fresh for my distaff rod-holders this evening.

Lastly, here's Karl, the rower and the reason why they had a spoon on. It was his idea so he gets full credit.
I can still mock him for trolling a Bucktail around though, 'cause that's just goofy. LOL

RSCN6926.JPG

Going to get one tonight. LOL

Take care.

Mike Stutzel has struck again.

Actually, Mike was rowing Forrest Owens when HE struck back at the strike he received this evening, the end result being another new member for the Tyee Club and a 37 lb. 10 oz. beauty on the scale.

This is the 34th. Tyee of the season so far and Mike has rowed five of them.

He is hot for sure.

Here are the happy couple with their nice fish, which fell for a plug.
Tyee34.jpg

Good going you guys and another big WELL DONE to Mike.

Bit of a rough row tonight but several hook-ups witnessed and a few boats out fighting fish, but I managed to keep my recently cleaned boat clean, so it wasn't a total bust.
Didn't have to clean a fish either.

Got three more evenings to try for a Tyee so I haven't given up all hope yet, just most of it. LOL

See you all later.

Take care.

I know Forrest, the latest Tyee Club member. Congrats on a fantastic fish, Forrrest! He was fire chief in Central Saanich and when he isn't saving lives he is a hell of a fisherman in Sooke and Victoria waters. He won the Consultants Invitational Fishing Derby at least once and as a humble and fine gentleman he deserves this honour, luck and title for sure!

I know Forrest, the latest Tyee Club member. Congrats on a fantastic fish, Forrrest! He was fire chief in Central Saanich and when he isn't saving lives he is a hell of a fisherman in Sooke and Victoria waters. He won the Consultants Invitational Fishing Derby at least once and as a humble and fine gentleman he deserves this honour, luck and title for sure!

Thanks for this Chris.

I like to hear about the different peeps that come to try for a Tyee and wish more guys would contribute info about some of them on this thread.

Forrest sounds like one of those "good guys" who not only contributed to the community but also enjoys the area in which he lives, as should we all.

Stoked to see your post, now all we have to do is somehow find out why Mike Stutzel is doing so awesome this year.

Five Tyee rowed with three new members is a pretty darn good season and he shall reap the rewards at trophy time methinks.

Take care.

Thanks for this Chris.

I like to hear about the different peeps that come to try for a Tyee and wish more guys would contribute info about some of them on this thread.

Forrest sounds like one of those "good guys" who not only contributed to the community but also enjoys the area in which he lives, as should we all.

Stoked to see your post, now all we have to do is somehow find out why Mike Stutzel is doing so awesome this year.

Five Tyee rowed with three new members is a pretty darn good season and he shall reap the rewards at trophy time methinks.

Take care.
I can tell you Dave, if Mike Stutzel only fishes with top rods like Forrest then you don't have to be surprised about his success rate. Forrest probably told him what to do! lol

I can tell you Dave, if Mike Stutzel only fishes with top rods like Forrest then you don't have to be surprised about his success rate. Forrest probably told him what to do! lol
Exactly what I was thinking...it makes a huge difference to have an experienced top rod team. Forrest is a very good fisherman and could catch big fish anywhere given a local guide who knows when and where.

Exactly what I was thinking...it makes a huge difference to have an experienced top rod team. Forrest is a very good fisherman and could catch big fish anywhere given a local guide who knows when and where.

Ironically, I had an experienced and top rod guy as my rod-holder tonight, a man I want to row a Tyee for so bad it hurts.

His problem was that he didn't have " a local guide who knows when and where."

He had me.

This was the first year that we haven't got a salmon together, but we weren't skunked, given we are still leading in the Foul Hooked Kelp Greenling category, thanks to our catch a couple of weeks ago.
But I can tell things have changed and I got the feeling that after our last chance together earlier tonight I may have lost my best rod-holder.
That feeling became quite real when I heard him ask the question I'd feared most.

"Hey, do you happen to have Mike Stutzel's phone number?"

Got to go as there is another Tyee to report.

Take care.

Dave how many fish in total have been weighed in this year. Someone told me a figure but it dident seem right.

It's true, Tyee #35 was registered this evening and it was another high 30's fish, weighing in at 38 lbs. and 14 ounces.

Rowed by long-time and well respected rower Andrew Rippingale, the youthful Carole Beaudoin was the lucky angler who boated their slab.
The fish fell for a plug.

Here they are.

Tyee35.jpg

Well done to both of you.

It was an interesting evening out there tonight, sometimes resembling a slow-motion version of almost Bumper Cars as there were quite a few boats circling about, many near the north end/bar of the pool with others taking the long tacks back and forth so near misses were not rare.
Saw a few fish being rowed out with a couple boated and a couple lost, so there was some activity and a small definite "bite", but not for us.

Anyway, it's late so we'll say good night for now.

Take care.

Dave how many fish in total have been weighed in this year. Someone told me a figure but it dident seem right.

35 registered Tyee and I'm not sure of how many unders were taken but I'll ask about and let you know. It'll be somewhat of an estimate past what Bob has heard about, so bear that in mind. Lots are simply taken home without bothering Bob with a small fish, although many do get cleaned at the clubhouse and Bob records all of them, so we'll see what numbers I can get for you.

Take care.

35 registered Tyee and I'm not sure of how many unders were taken but I'll ask about and let you know. It'll be somewhat of an estimate past what Bob has heard about, so bear that in mind. Lots are simply taken home without bothering Bob with a small fish, although many do get cleaned at the clubhouse and Bob records all of them, so we'll see what numbers I can get for you.

Take care.

awesomw thanks, I heard a figure of over 300 but that seemed awfully high.

awesomw thanks, I heard a figure of over 300 but that seemed awfully high.

Had a good chat with Bob just a short time ago and we both think that 300 unders is a bit high, but there have been 200 or so we think.

You used the term "weighed in" in your original question, but I'm presuming you meant undersized fish in total because few unders are actually weighed in by Bob, but when they are cleaned at the clubhouse Bob will record them.
Factor in that until September 1st. we were allowed but one fish per day so many obvious unders were released boat-side with others taken home so Bob wouldn't know about them other than hearsay, and you can understand the problem with coming up with a definitive number.

So, somewhere around or slightly over 200 is the reasonable guess, given quite a few have been taken the past couple of weeks with the increased number of boats once word got out about the Tyee numbers in the pool this year being so much better.

Heck, I even rowed an under. LOL

RSCN6875.JPG

Take care.

Dave. When this Tyee pool thread comes to an end, I propose you start a winter thread. Who cares what it’s about. You and your coffee buddies playing tiddly winks… whatever. We need your thread and humour year round, Dave. Come on!!

What about our needs? LOL.
Great idea Kildonan! Keep it up Dave - help us all survive the winter!
Good luck tonight and tomorrow!
Stosh

Happy Hump Day everyone and we have another Tyee to report.

Early this morning, while this old and lazy correspondent lay abed, the intrepid duo of Bob Joseph on the rod and one of the best oarsmen around on the oars, Randy Killoran, managed a great contender for Boot Of The Year with this last morning last day 31 1/2 pounder.

Although a bit darker than most other Tyee this year, that is to be expected this late in the season and the fish was a beauty in all other aspects, being thick and strong and well shaped.

Here they are with their catch.

Tyee36.jpg

Randy hasn't rowed much this year as he works out of town these days and that was confirmed by the fact several people have actually asked him if he'd stopped rowing because his name wasn't on the board.
Bob, at the clubhouse, has claimed the same question has been asked of him, regarding Randy.

They went back out after the elusive Daily Double and I don't know how they did, but they did good earlier.
Old-timers may recall that Bob Joseph was a guide at Painters some years back, so no novice to the Tyee Pool.

Well done guys.

Take care.

Not A Brief Wind-Up To The Season plus Final Night Fiasco

It all started off innocently enough, the last night of the season when we decorate our boats and make one last try for a Tyee, and I always decorate my boat with a blonde and a brunette. I've noted previously there is a good reason for my choice here, given they are much lighter in weight than some of my usual rod-holders, they usually smell better and they are definitely prettier.
Both have hooked fish from my boat too.

We started off at the Clubhouse, assessing the conditions and waiting for someone to go out first so we could judge the effort required to row.
There was a strong wind, but from the west, so the pool was actually in the lee of the Spit, but there was a strong flood tide current which raised some concern.
The best thing that happened at the Clubhouse was finding out that overall, I didn't do as bad as I'd thought, as several of the regulars I see every evening hadn't done much better. A few strikes and a couple of fish seemed pretty good after listening to others talk about their lack of success, and that raised my spirits a bit.

The worst thing that happened at the Clubhouse was deciding to go out, notwithstanding how hard those already out were rowing just to maintain position.

I thought I could do that, or at least give it a try, so off we went. My boat was pumped out and cleaned up for the occasion, my lines had been checked and new plugs tied on, so we were good to go.
Heading out all seemed normal and my crew looked happy and relaxed.
My Helmsman on duty on our way out.

SharonPreDisaster.jpg

And my other crew-gal.

DianePreDisaster.jpg

All went well and we rounded the end of the Spit and headed southward down the Pool. Noting the strong flood current I opted to start at the north end of the Pool and see how my rowing held up. The crew was clear that if it was too much work they had no problem coming back in, so I gave the instruction to turn out as we reached Van Egan's tree, which Sharon did.

Now, I usually like surprises, but what happened next was not one of those times.
Without any discernible warning the outboard suddenly hopped across the transom then jumped up onto the rear seat of the boat, next to where Sharon was sitting. It was revving pretty good at half throttle and the prop out of the water, so I told Sharon to hit the red kill button, which she quickly did.
Whew!!
A variety of emotions became possible, but I've always been one to be cool in a crisis, so I decided to quickly get the crew ashore and safe, whereupon I would attend to the engine.
I had put one of those Trimax security bars across the toggles that you screw the boat on with, preventing easy access to them, but I had the key in my pocket so I planned to quickly remove that bar, screw the engine back on and carry on.

Alas, I couldn't get the key in so that was the end of that plan.
I got the engine back in place and decided to slowly motor back to my mooring spot while the crew walked across the Spit to meet me at the dock.
For those who passed me heading in rather slowly, with my head down and one hand on the top of the engine, now you know why.
My head was down because I was murmuring words best left unheard, plus I didn't want to attract attention to the steam coming from my ears.

I still cannot figure out exactly why the engine slid across as I'd tightened those toggles as hard as I could plus they were aligned horizontally inside the Trimax tubing so I thought there was no way they could move enough to loosen things up.
I was wrong, and still unsure of why it happened.
So, my season ended with a whimper, not a bang, and my poor crew didn't even get a plug in the water.
Maybe next year.

Here's a photo that summarizes that fiasco quite well.
My crew on the beach and me silently expressing my joy at what has just happened as I get the engine back on and start my slow progress back to the dock.
BeachedCrewDisaster.jpg

Carrying on with some season end thoughts, I'd like to give a big THANK YOU to Bob and Judy at the Clubhouse.
Once again the grounds looked great and both of them deserve a nod for that as it doesn't happen by accident or by itself.
In addition, Bob kept his good humor even when things got hectic a few evenings with several fish arriving at once needing to be attended to, tourists asking questions and others generally milling around in the way.
Good on ya, as my Aussie friends say.

Here's Judy, enjoying the day in her front yard.

RSCN6946.JPG

And here's Bob, eagerly awaiting the next question someone may ask of him.
Go ahead, ask him what time the Tyee bite. LOL
RSCN6947.JPG

Well done to the two of them, and I'm sure I speak for a lot of people who appreciate their efforts.

Finally, as we traditionally have the Selfie in the boat of crew and Captain on the last day, we decided to keep it alive by faking it on the dock.
Here we are.

CrewOnDock.jpg

Kudos to my crew for being so understanding and fun to hang with, notwithstanding how long-suffering they have been.

Thanks to the readers of my annual self-indulgence too.
I appreciate every one of you and your comments.

We'll get 'em next year.

Take care.

Not A Brief Wind-Up To The Season plus Final Night Fiasco

It all started off innocently enough, the last night of the season when we decorate our boats and make one last try for a Tyee, and I always decorate my boat with a blonde and a brunette. I've noted previously there is a good reason for my choice here, given they are much lighter in weight than some of my usual rod-holders, they usually smell better and they are definitely prettier.
Both have hooked fish from my boat too.

We started off at the Clubhouse, assessing the conditions and waiting for someone to go out first so we could judge the effort required to row.
There was a strong wind, but from the west, so the pool was actually in the lee of the Spit, but there was a strong flood tide current which raised some concern.
The best thing that happened at the Clubhouse was finding out that overall, I didn't do as bad as I'd thought, as several of the regulars I see every evening hadn't done much better. A few strikes and a couple of fish seemed pretty good after listening to others talk about their lack of success, and that raised my spirits a bit.

The worst thing that happened at the Clubhouse was deciding to go out, notwithstanding how hard those already out were rowing just to maintain position.

I thought I could do that, or at least give it a try, so off we went. My boat was pumped out and cleaned up for the occasion, my lines had been checked and new plugs tied on, so we were good to go.
Heading out all seemed normal and my crew looked happy and relaxed.
My Helmsman on duty on our way out.

View attachment 70602

And my other crew-gal.

View attachment 70603

All went well and we rounded the end of the Spit and headed southward down the Pool. Noting the strong flood current I opted to start at the north end of the Pool and see how my rowing held up. The crew was clear that if it was too much work they had no problem coming back in, so I gave the instruction to turn out as we reached Van Egan's tree, which Sharon did.

Now, I usually like surprises, but what happened next was not one of those times.
Without any discernible warning the outboard suddenly hopped across the transom then jumped up onto the rear seat of the boat, next to where Sharon was sitting. It was revving pretty good at half throttle and the prop out of the water, so I told Sharon to hit the red kill button, which she quickly did.
Whew!!
A variety of emotions became possible, but I've always been one to be cool in a crisis, so I decided to quickly get the crew ashore and safe, whereupon I would attend to the engine.
I had put one of those Trimax security bars across the toggles that you screw the boat on with, preventing easy access to them, but I had the key in my pocket so I planned to quickly remove that bar, screw the engine back on and carry on.

Alas, I couldn't get the key in so that was the end of that plan.
I got the engine back in place and decided to slowly motor back to my mooring spot while the crew walked across the Spit to meet me at the dock.
For those who passed me heading in rather slowly, with my head down and one hand on the top of the engine, now you know why.
My head was down because I was murmuring words best left unheard, plus I didn't want to attract attention to the steam coming from my ears.

I still cannot figure out exactly why the engine slid across as I'd tightened those toggles as hard as I could plus they were aligned horizontally inside the Trimax tubing so I thought there was no way they could move enough to loosen things up.
I was wrong, and still unsure of why it happened.
So, my season ended with a whimper, not a bang, and my poor crew didn't even get a plug in the water.
Maybe next year.

Here's a photo that summarizes that fiasco quite well.
My crew on the beach and me silently expressing my joy at what has just happened as I get the engine back on and start my slow progress back to the dock.
View attachment 70606

Carrying on with some season end thoughts, I'd like to give a big THANK YOU to Bob and Judy at the Clubhouse.
Once again the grounds looked great and both of them deserve a nod for that as it doesn't happen by accident or by itself.
In addition, Bob kept his good humor even when things got hectic a few evenings with several fish arriving at once needing to be attended to, tourists asking questions and others generally milling around in the way.
Good on ya, as my Aussie friends say.

Here's Judy, enjoying the day in her front yard.

View attachment 70604

And here's Bob, eagerly awaiting the next question someone may ask of him.
Go ahead, ask him what time the Tyee bite. LOL
View attachment 70605

Well done to the two of them, and I'm sure I speak for a lot of people who appreciate their efforts.

Finally, as we traditionally have the Selfie in the boat of crew and Captain on the last day, we decided to keep it alive by faking it on the dock.
Here we are.

View attachment 70607

Kudos to my crew for being so understanding and fun to hang with, notwithstanding how long-suffering they have been.

Thanks to the readers of my annual self-indulgence too.
I appreciate every one of you and your comments.

We'll get 'em next year.

Take care.
Another great season for posts for you Dave!
Not the ending you expected but great to see your gals still had a smile on their faces!
There is no place, bar non better then Tyee Pool for true sport fishing

Last edited by a moderator:
Back