Tales From The Tyee Pool......2021..

Dave H

Greetings once again from my humble abode, here on the Tyee Spit still, but a bit lonelier without my now R.I.P. mooch, Buddy.
Buddy passed on June 29, and I literally just heard confirmation this morning that one of my old surfing pals from the 70's and 80's passed on July 1st. in Costa Rica.

So, a sad goodbye to two old pals but a hopeful hello to my Tyee season acquaintances again.

Still mucking around with my boat as my neighbor has my engine apart right now as we are replacing the impellor in the water pump, amongst other things.

Been some big Chinooks caught over on the Mainland side from us recently, including one purported to be 54 lbs.

Those fish aren't coming here of course, but are indicative of perhaps two years of better "pasture" in the ocean environment so maybe we won't have so many long enough but not heavy enough fish this year. Been lots of 28 to 29 pounders the past few years and many seemed slim for their length.

Anyway, I took a couple pics earlier so here they are.

Looking forward to rowing some of you again this year so don't be shy about contacting me and arranging a date to be a rod-holder.

Here's the front gate, now open, and you can see the directing lines on the gravel.
A few things to read also regarding access to clubhouse and all that.

DSCN6744.JPG

As usual, Bob and Judy have the clubhouse grounds looking great, as shown here.

DSCN6745.JPG

Looking forward to rowing again and hoping to get more strikes than last year.

Take care.

Always love this thread and look forward to it once again.
And as well sorry for your losses this year Dave. I know for myself there’s nothing better than time on the water to heal the soul.

Greetings once again from my humble abode, here on the Tyee Spit still, but a bit lonelier without my now R.I.P. mooch, Buddy.
Buddy passed on June 29, and I literally just heard confirmation this morning that one of my old surfing pals from the 70's and 80's passed on July 1st. in Costa Rica.

So, a sad goodbye to two old pals but a hopeful hello to my Tyee season acquaintances again.

Still mucking around with my boat as my neighbor has my engine apart right now as we are replacing the impellor in the water pump, amongst other things.

Been some big Chinooks caught over on the Mainland side from us recently, including one purported to be 54 lbs.

Those fish aren't coming here of course, but are indicative of perhaps two years of better "pasture" in the ocean environment so maybe we won't have so many long enough but not heavy enough fish this year. Been lots of 28 to 29 pounders the past few years and many seemed slim for their length.

Looking forward to rowing some of you again this year so don't be shy about contacting me and arranging a date to be a rod-holder.

Here's the front gate, now open, and you can see the directing lines on the gravel.

View attachment 68174

View attachment 68176

Take care.

love it! wishing I could be there and see some blue sky, smokanagan is killing me over here..

Dave I have a good feeling about your chances this year!
Is there an official date for the pool to open to rowers? Or is it game on?

Game on, and this year if you caught a Tyee in July (rare these days) you could keep it, as opposed to last year when there was an upper size limit of 80 cm, too small to be a Tyee.

Take care.

View attachment 68174

View attachment 68176

Take care.
Good Day,
Is it allowed to spincast from the shore into the tyee pool ????? I know that the pier is available but I would like to try the pool if that's allowed
Also anyone know the average depth of water in the pool ??
Thanks

Good Day,
Is it allowed to spincast from the shore into the tyee pool ????? I know that the pier is available but I would like to try the pool if that's allowed
Also anyone know the average depth of water in the pool ??
Thanks

Yes, you can spin-cast from the beach and I've seen a few doing it.

I have yet to see anyone hook a fish from the beach, but I've heard it has happened.......................maybe.........................a long time ago.

There have been a few fish hooked and brought to hand by a fellow in a float tube (U-boat type) fly fishing the past couple of years.

These are not feeding fish generally, so eliciting a strike is difficult to do.

Good luck if you try it.

The depth of water we are mostly trolling in ranges from 30 to 40 feet and shallows up quickly as you near the bar.

Why don't you come out with me some evening?
Sure, I haven't claimed a Tyee since 2013 and I only got two strikes last year, but I work cheap (free) and I apparently have a good line of BS. LOL

Up to you.

Take care.

Yes, you can spin-cast from the beach and I've seen a few doing it.

I have yet to see anyone hook a fish from the beach, but I've heard it has happened.......................maybe.........................a long time ago.

There have been a few fish hooked and brought to hand by a fellow in a float tube (U-boat type) fly fishing the past couple of years.

These are not feeding fish generally, so eliciting a strike is difficult to do.

Good luck if you try it.

The depth of water we are mostly trolling in ranges from 30 to 40 feet and shallows up quickly as you near the bar.

Why don't you come out with me some evening?
Sure, I haven't claimed a Tyee since 2013 and I only got two strikes last year, but I work cheap (free) and I apparently have a good line of BS. LOL

Up to you.

Take care.
Evening Dave,
Thanks for all the info and the offer to row a trip into the pool.. I would love to take you up on the offer one of these days.
I'm not a member of the Tyee Club and have not looked into the rules in regards to equipment / rig up needed.
I have shore fished here in Victoria for the past 40 years and have caught 2 Tyee from shore. One was 37# the other was 32#.
Many in the high 20's. I have a good selection of casting gear and would like to run up the island in early August and find some
spots to shore fish. Nothing like catching a 25+ salmon on lite gear.

ttys thanks again

Dave
Thank goodness you are back at it once again. So sorry to hear about your loss.
It’s been a few years ago now, but my old friend Jim Lythgoe from Ladner (guided in CR as a teen) and myself had the great honour of being your rod holders one night. We’d love to do it again if possible. Please let me know if you have any days available for a couple of old rod holders sometime in August or September.
Keep up the great work.
Stosh

Love to see this thread and know that its that time of year again!!!!

I believe the fish gods will be with you this year Dave!!
If everyone on here sends positive thoughts your way and with a little luck and a lot of skill
this will be a great season!!

Sorry to hear about buddy and your old pal

Cheers and good luck to you
Rob

Good luck this year Dave, You need to give that louie I sent you a little more time in the water this year, I got a good feeling about that one. I wish I could come up and spend the weekend again. Maybe before the season ends they will let a damn yankee up there. So sorry for the loss of the family member. Best wishes.

Good luck this year Dave, You need to give that louie I sent you a little more time in the water this year, I got a good feeling about that one. I wish I could come up and spend the weekend again. Maybe before the season ends they will let a damn yankee up there. So sorry for the loss of the family member. Best wishes.

Thanks Amigo.

I'll give that plug a good soaking this year for sure and I'm hoping you can get here somehow.

Hope you're doing well and staying healthy too.

Seems this Covid Delta variant thing is persistent as can be and nowadays still a hazard, but to the unvaccinated crew mainly.

Wishing it would end soon 'cause I really want to row you this year as there is a lot of optimism that the previous two years of cooler North Pacific waters may have provided better "pasture" out there and we'll get back to where a 40" Chinook will actually make 30 pounds rather than the many 28 to 29.5 pounders we've seen too many of the past few years.

Always all the best to you.

Take care.

Dave

Thanks Amigo.

I'll give that plug a good soaking this year for sure and I'm hoping you can get here somehow.

Hope you're doing well and staying healthy too.

Seems this Covid Delta variant thing is persistent as can be and nowadays still a hazard, but to the unvaccinated crew mainly.

Wishing it would end soon 'cause I really want to row you this year as there is a lot of optimism that the previous two years of cooler North Pacific waters may have provided better "pasture" out there and we'll get back to where a 40" Chinook will actually make 30 pounds rather than the many 28 to 29.5 pounders we've seen too many of the past few years.

Always all the best to you.

Take care.

Dave
Thank you Dave, I'm just glad to be able to call you a friend. And if I get a chance to fish with you again I will consider it a bonus.

Buy the way, I have missed the last week of fishing because i'm dog setting for a friend. Its a red healer, What a neat dog. I have thought about you and your pal every morning when I let him out to play.

Among the many old adages we've all heard is: "Bad things always come in threes".

And so it seems, having recently been through the losing ones dog routine followed by the passing of one of my old surfing pals and now, as fate would have it, my venerable 1985 4.5 HP Evinrude outboard has crossed the Rainbow Bridge also, R.I.P. to all.

I won't repeat all that happened before we performed last rites on her, but suffice it to say it hurt to put her down. I bought it some 11 or 12 years ago from a member here and it pains me to confess I can't recall his name. He was great though and brought it right to my house and, as he had claimed, it was in great shape, priced fairly and served me well the past nine seasons.
To use another old adage: "It owed me nothing."
I donated its remains to our local used outboard parts supplier, aka Seaworthy Marine Recycler.

I found a twin to it for sale at Comox but missed out as someone beat me to it, probably a good thing as hindsight made me ask myself: "Do I really want another 36 year old outboard, considering the difficulties in finding new parts for it and also really needing a long shaft engine rather than a short shaft like mine was."
Whew!!

I sometimes ask myself long and convoluted questions, most often ending with the shortest of answers of course, in this case, no.

Anyway, I scrolled through a few days worth of Craigslist postings and found one for a Four HP Four Stroke Yamaha over on Quadra. It's also a long shaft and, like every engine ever offered for sale, has low hours and those mostly in fresh water. (Cynical joke)

I contacted the owner and we will meet this Wed. most likely and hopefully affect the deal.
I'll give him money and he will give me his outboard.

Aside from this most recent event, there has been some effort in the pool already and someone I know claims they hooked a fish two days ago, but it escaped.
I'm hoping to have my boat in the water soon, even if only for the exercise I'll get by rowing around a bit, because I just can't get excited about seriously fishing until the end of the month, not that I won't go out sooner of course.
July Tyee are very rare, but this could be the year to change that.

Finally got my calendar organized yesterday and have a few days spoken for already, so if any of you can get up here during August and into September and want to endure a couple of hours with me in the pool you can claim an evening outing and I'll pencil you in.

Hope you are all doing well and looking forward to this season wherever you are.

Take care.

D Hadden,
Tyee Pool Tour Guide,
The Spit.

Back