Tales From The Tyee Pool......2021..

This post-Monday report shall be short and concise and will consist of only five words.

I rowed my butt off.

Take care.

It's Hump Day for the working class but just another day in Paradise for we retired gentlemen, plus we have another Tyee on the board and it's the biggest to date.

Congratulations to John Chalmers, rodman for the beauty 35 lb. 11 oz Tyee that rookie rower Trygg Carlson led him to early this morning.
It fell for a plug.

It was so early I didn't hear the bell ring so it was a very pleasant surprise to ride my bicycle into the Tyee club front yard earlier and see the new numbers on the board.

Here's a photo of the happy couple and their top of the leaderboard prize.

Tyee13.jpg

I took last night off and hung around the yard for a bit watching the activity.
We saw one couple hook up and row out of the pool and after a lengthy battle finally net a fish but they didn't hustle back to the beach and when they passed by later told us it was an under-sized one.

I didn't note anyone else hook up and nothing came in last night but knowing there are still fish in the pool (lots of Pinks too) helps with the eternal optimism we all share so I'll be out again tonight, unless my rod-holder's prediction of 25-30 knot winds comes true. LOL

Take care.

Great to see this thread posted again Dave, you've been terrific over the years sharing this wonderful Tradition of Rowing the Tyee Pool .
I look forward to seeing this thread every year.

Fantastic to see some wonderful fish being caught, and very encouraging to hear a few new rowers and anglers. In my ripe years of 60+, I've only dreamed of fishing the Pool. Im still hoping I can make that happen some day.

But, it appears that I may be too late, with this new approval to the FNs to have at er, and Gill net the Recreational Fishers Dream of fishing the Iconic Tyee Pool, for a chance to scrap with a Big Tyee.

Congrats to all the Anglers, Rowers and thanks Dave for the share.

Great to see this thread posted again Dave, you've been terrific over the years sharing this wonderful Tradition of Rowing the Tyee Pool .
I look forward to seeing this thread every year.
I concur and hope to be reading this thread for many years to come. Thanks again, tight lines!

I'm the guy in the little green boat that you insist on dragging your cabezon catching plug right past me in the hope of diverting the attention of the tyee staring at my plug , so far you have been successful !

It pains me no end to confess that once again I failed to cut the Mustard, as the saying goes, and stayed ashore while a few brave souls ventured out and were rewarded with a dying wind just at sunset and almost decent conditions.

A couple of the brave actually are the Mustards, and know all about how to cut it, so we now have another new member of the Tyee Club, and I believe his name is Darrel Mustard.
Darrel was rowed by his brother, who I believe is named Dwayne and was a Rookie Rower, despite having been a well-known Guide at Painters some years back..

But I could be wrong.

Here they are with their 32 1/2 lb. beauty.
RSCN6839.JPG
That's Dwayne on the left and brother Darrel on the right, and they are the Mustard brothers, and they did cut it.

Well done men and my humble apologies if I've used the wrong spelling for your names.

I know there's more than one way and I haven't had a chance to check with Bob at the clubhouse yet.

Anyway, good going for showing us there is always hope, even on those windy nights when it's a pain to go out.

Take care.

Last edited:
It pains me no end to confess that once again I failed to cut the Mustard, as the saying goes, and stayed ashore while a few brave souls ventured out and were rewarded with a dying wind just at sunset and almost decent conditions.

A couple of the brave actually are the Mustards, and know all about how to cut it, so we now have another new member of the Tyee Club, and I believe his name is Darrel Mustard.
Darrel was rowed by his brother, who I believe is named Dwayne and was a Rookie Rower, despite having been a well-known Guide at Painters some years back..

But I could be wrong.

Here they are with their 32 1/2 lb. beauty.
View attachment 69476
That's Dwayne on the left and brother Darrel on the right, and they are the Mustard brothers, and they did cut it.

Well done men and my humble apologies if I've used the wrong spelling for your names.

I know there's more than one way and I haven't had a chance to check with Bob at the clubhouse yet.

Anyway, good going for showing us there is always hope, even on those windy nights when it's a pain to go out.

Take care.
Dave,

I believe that is Darryl and his other brother Darryl.

NEWS FLASH.....

The first over 40 lb. Tyee was just registered at the clubhouse.

Weighing in at 42 1/2 lbs. and caught by the combination of Mike Newton on the oars and the lovely Beth Newton on the rod.

They could be related.

Another Rookie Rower and another New Member for the Tyee Club.

The fish took a spoon mid-morning and was hooked more or less in front of the Clubhouse.

I'll have appropriate photos soon as my photos didn't turn out worth a poop.

Congratulations to Mike and Beth for boating this first over 40 in a couple of years Tyee.

Tyee15.jpg

Take care.

Last edited:
NEWS FLASH.....

The first over 40 lb. Tyee was just registered at the clubhouse.

Weighing in at 42 1/2 lbs. and caught by the combination of Mike Newton on the oars and the lovely Beth Newton on the rod.

They could be related.

Another Rookie Rower and another New Member for the Tyee Club.

The fish took a spoon mid-morning and was hooked more or less in front of the Clubhouse.

I'll have appropriate photos soon as my photos didn't turn out worth a poop.

Congratulations to Mike and Beth for boating this first over 40 in a couple of years Tyee.

View attachment 69483

Take care.
Wow
Thanks for the great news
Stosh

Friday evening and one of my favorite rod-holders had come all the way from Victoria just to get out in the pool, so out we went.

Rob is the guy who was on the rod a few years back when one of the most intense "bites" ever happened and we hooked up with the fish we call Leaping Lena, as it was a jumping fool and finally came off on the fifth jump.
We try to get out roughly the same date annually so it was great to have him come up, even though it was a long return trip drive for him.

It was an interesting evening insofar as we had people hooking up to the left of us, others to the right and one just behind us in the area we had just trolled through, yet we couldn't get a bite.
Stupid fish!!

Nice to not have the wind to deal with and there were a good number of boats out too, making it imperative to having your head on a swivel in order to avoid unwanted encounters of the close kind.

We saw at least five hook-ups with a couple of fish lost and Bob told me there were three unders weighed but no Tyee came in.

Both Rob and I were impressed by the quick acting anglers near where the fish were hooked as there was some very quick reeling in and rowing away going on, allowing those hooked up to get out of the pool quickly.
Despite that, we think there might have been a crossed lines event with the not hooked up crew cutting theirs to allow the hooked up crew freedom to continue their battle.

That happened at a distance from us so is slightly speculative and I would welcome any clarification any of you might have, but it serves as a good example of the type of sportsmanship and courtesies practiced by those who row in the pool.
Good on all of you.

That's it for now. Heading out for some more exercise soon so maybe see you out there.

Take care.

Just about to call it a day when I realized I hadn't posted about the latest Tyee registered this season, caught early this morning and tipping the scales at 31 lbs. and four ounces.

Ably handled by Dave Nutt on the rod with Ric Dionne on the oars it was fooled by a plug and weighed in at the ungodly hour of 5:15 AM, when most normal people are still abed.
Good going guys and here's your photo, the 16th. Tyee of the season.
Nice fish.

Tyee16.jpg

There is also a bit of a story involving one of my regular rodmen and his desire to try to emulate the success of the Newtons with their 42 1/2 pounder from the previous morning and then my delaying our go out time in order to gather some information from a few of the Directors at the AGM, held earlier today, all resulting in our attempt to leave my mooring spot in the usual manner ending up with a stalled out engine, a prop full of eel-grass, an adverse wind, not enough room to row in, an engine that ran out of gas, a large man walking through the mud pulling my boat along as I held the other end of a rope and one brief touching of the bottom once we got into water deep enough to motor in.

But I'll save that for later, as I am still slightly annoyed at a ruling made earlier by several prominent members of the Tyee Club along with a rather motley assortment of hangers-on and other reprobates, as the magnificent fish I rowed my rod-holder to, once we finally got out, was disqualified, and rather rudely I thought.

"It's a bloody Greenling," they exclaimed. "And foul hooked too".

It was hard to argue, given the photographic evidence that was produced, seen below, but gee, the first strike from my boat this season and the fish successfully boated yet Bob refused to weigh it on the official scale. That was hard to take.
It was a beauty.

RSCN6854.JPG

And so endeth the day.

Take care.

Just about to call it a day when I realized I hadn't posted about the latest Tyee registered this season, caught early this morning and tipping the scales at 31 lbs. and four ounces.

Ably handled by Dave Nutt on the rod with Ric Dionne on the oars it was fooled by a plug and weighed in at the ungodly hour of 5:15 AM, when most normal people are still abed.
Nice fish.

View attachment 69544

There is also a bit of a story involving one of my regular rodmen and his desire to try to emulate the success of the Newtons with their 42 1/2 pounder from the previous morning and then my delaying our go out time in order to gather some information from a few of the Directors at the AGM, held earlier today, all resulting in our attempt to leave my mooring spot in the usual manner ending up with a stalled out engine, a prop full of eel-grass, an adverse wind, not enough room to row in, an engine that ran out of gas, a large man walking through the mud pulling my boat along as I held the other end of a rope and one brief touching of the bottom once we got into water deep enough to motor in.

But I'll save that for later, as I am still slightly annoyed at a ruling made earlier by several prominent members of the Tyee Club along with a rather motley assortment of hangers-on and other reprobates, as the magnificent fish I rowed my rod-holder to, once we finally got out, was disqualified, and rather rudely I thought.

It was hard to argue, given the photographic evidence that was produced, seen below, but gee, the first strike from my boat this season and the fish successfully boated yet Bob refused to weigh it on the official scale. That was hard to take.
It was a beauty.

View attachment 69545

And so endeth the day.

Take care.

Nice fish.

View attachment 69544

It was a beauty.

View attachment 69545

And so endeth the day.

Take care.
Congrats on that nice Greenling Dave.
Great start!
Stosh

Geeze, I've got to learn to pay attention to what's happening more closely as I just now picked up on this.

We have another Tyee.

Hooked and played to the boat by Paula Davies, rowed by Mr. Ross Spiers.
Their fish weighed in at a nice 32 pounds and fell for a plug.
That's number 17 for this season.
It's not the first one for Ross though.
He's one of the more highly respected rowers in the pool who has accounted for more than a few Tyee in his rowing history.

Here they are with their fish.
Paula seems pleased.

Tyee17.jpg

A big well done is in order methinks, so, WELL DONE!!!

Take care.

It pains me somewhat to share this evening's events as once again my rod-holders left when the wind seemed interminable so I didn't go out.

I should have.

Arriving at the clubhouse I noted a good number of vehicles in the parking lot which was indicative of the fact we weren't the only group to not venture forth, and then the yard revealed a decent group of interested on-lookers, with many gazing at the cleaning table.

My gaze went to the numbers on the big board and I noted what had been 32 was now a 38, which much resembled the size of the fish on the table.
This story has a bit of a twist to it as the guy on the rod for that fish was Paul Pearson, and the guy on the oars was Mike Stutzel.
Followers of this thread may recall that Paul had earlier rowed himself into the Tyee Club with a little 30 1/2 pounder, the second Tyee of the year.
Keen followers of this thread may also recall that Mike Stutzel had earlier rowed himself into a Tyee, not his first, and the 11th. of this season.

Both had conversed about getting out together and tonight they did, and this is the result.
Paul with their 38 pounder, all cleaned and about to be bagged once the head is removed.
Apparently Mike didn't want to be bagged OR have his head removed, so he's not in the picture.
He assured me he's still handsome though.
RSCN6872.JPG

There is a good possibility these guys might know what they are doing one might think, and they got to revel in their success for quite a time tonight, a good 30 minutes or so before another Tyee was registered.

That's right, we had numbers 18 and 19 registered tonight, back to back.

And, even a 14 year old young lady from Cobble Hill can catch a Tyee it seems, as that's exactly what happened tonight.
Deftly handled by young Kalla Shields on the rod and rowed by her Dad, Chris Shields, their fish weighed in at a svelte 35 pounds, right on the button.

As one might imagine, with Dad as a rookie rower and Kalla as a new Junior member of the Tyee Club, there was much excitement and activity happening in a compressed time but Bob, the Weighmaster, handled it all with good humor and got 'er done.
Here are a few photos from tonight, which also featured a few unders caught, a couple others released, one guy hooking up three times and losing all three, plus, of course, a Blue Moon.
Here's Kalla a second after ringing the bell.
I think that look on her face says a lot and note the rope on the bell is still swinging.
She rang that bell like an old pro.
RSCN6871.JPG

More than just another pretty young gal, Kalla also handles a knife quite well and looked after the cleaning of her fish under the watchful eyes of several envious onlookers, myself included.
Here she is deeply engaged, and the Blue Moon is watching too, having just risen from behind Quadra Island to keep an eye on things.

RSCN6869.JPG
This photo shows Paul Pearson on the left who had been talking story with Chris Shields, Father of Kalla, who is talking to Kalla's younger brother while she is cleaning her fish. I think that's another brother on the right.
Note another fish on the grass.
It was busy at the cleaning table tonight.
DSCN6862.JPG

Finally, I must complain to the PR Department for Atmospheric Events for false advertising, as I fully expected the moon to be noticeably blue tonight, given all the hype on the news earlier, but here is a photo taken a short time ago and it doesn't look "blue" to me at all. LOL

RSCN6868.JPG

Must be an old wives' tale or perhaps a fishing myth similar to the faint belief I might actually be out there when there's a good bite on and one of my long-suffering rod-holders will be rewarded with a fish, finally.

It could happen.

Take care.

It might have been the wail of anguish that woke me this morning, or perhaps not, but I knew something was amiss and it was coming from the direction of where the clubhouse is.

Slightly puzzled in my half-asleep half-awake state I pondered for a moment if any action on my part was required, and after assuring myself none was I rolled over.

A couple of hours later Bob explained the morning's events and clearly identified what had caused the wail of anguish I'd heard earlier.

An angler who is unnamed because I don't know it, brought in a lovely fish to the scale.
Bob deftly roped it and with the usual assistance required, hoisted it up and hooked it on the scale.
The needle whirled around and stopped, quivering as it bled off the last of the energy that had spun it, then steadied on the weight.

It showed 29 lbs. and 14 ounces, two ounces short of being a Tyee.

I would have wailed too.

Take care.

Here's a couple of photos from last night's catches that show the principal actors.

Paul and Mike with their 38 pounder.

Tyee18.jpg

And here's the Shields family photo along with Kalla and her fish, a 35 pounder.
Tyee19.jpg

Take care.

It might have been the wail of anguish that woke me this morning, or perhaps not, but I knew something was amiss and it was coming from the direction of where the clubhouse is.

Slightly puzzled in my half-asleep half-awake state I pondered for a moment if any action on my part was required, and after assuring myself none was I rolled over.

A couple of hours later Bob explained the morning's events and clearly identified what had caused the wail of anguish I'd heard earlier.

An angler who is unnamed because I don't know it, brought in a lovely fish to the scale.
Bob deftly roped it and with the usual assistance required, hoisted it up and hooked it on the scale.
The needle whirled around and stopped, quivering as it bled off the last of the energy that had spun it, then steadied on the weight.

It showed 29 lbs. and 14 ounces, two ounces short of being a Tyee.

I would have wailed too.

Take care.
Poor guy should have left the lure in its mouth!

Poor guy should have left the lure in its mouth!

Good luck sneaking that past Bob. LOL

Heartbreaker for sure.

Take care.

Back