Tales From The Tyee Pool......2021..

sorry for your losses Dave, hopefully this one will last a tad more than 9 years

Thanks, and, as fate would have it I ended up buying a new Honda 5 HP 4 Stroke long shaft outboard which should last longer than I most likely will, so we are good to go now.

I'll spare you all the slightly convoluted story as to how that came to be for now.

If I fail to catch any fish I might need a filler story later on. LOL

Pal Peter and I shall launch the boat later today and start the break-in procedure for the engine.

I need to do some rowing the next few days, simply for the exercise, so I should be out and about going forward.

Looking forward to the arrival of some fish and also to renewing old acquaintances and friends.

Take care.

Thanks, and, as fate would have it I ended up buying a new Honda 5 HP 4 Stroke long shaft outboard which should last longer than I most likely will, so we are good to go now.

I'll spare you all the slightly convoluted story as to how that came to be for now.

If I fail to catch any fish I might need a filler story later on. LOL

Pal Peter and I shall launch the boat later today and start the break-in procedure for the engine.

I need to do some rowing the next few days, simply for the exercise, so I should be out and about going forward.

Looking forward to the arrival of some fish and also to renewing old acquaintances and friends.

Take care.
Dave
Congrats on the new OB motor.
I’m sure the Honda will serve you well. I’ve had a few, including a 200hp, 50 hp, 9.9 hp, mowers, pressure washers etc. My current daily driver is a Honda Crosstour and I also drive a 1981 Honda Goldwing.
Best of all no more mixing oil/gas.
Good luck on the water
Stosh

Among the many old adages we've all heard is: "Bad things always come in threes".

And so it seems, having recently been through the losing ones dog routine followed by the passing of one of my old surfing pals and now, as fate would have it, my venerable 1985 4.5 HP Evinrude outboard has crossed the Rainbow Bridge also, R.I.P. to all.

I won't repeat all that happened before we performed last rites on her, but suffice it to say it hurt to put her down. I bought it some 11 or 12 years ago from a member here and it pains me to confess I can't recall his name. He was great though and brought it right to my house and, as he had claimed, it was in great shape, priced fairly and served me well the past nine seasons.
To use another old adage: "It owed me nothing."
I donated its remains to our local used outboard parts supplier, aka Seaworthy Marine Recycler.

I found a twin to it for sale at Comox but missed out as someone beat me to it, probably a good thing as hindsight made me ask myself: "Do I really want another 36 year old outboard, considering the difficulties in finding new parts for it and also really needing a long shaft engine rather than a short shaft like mine was."
Whew!!

I sometimes ask myself long and convoluted questions, most often ending with the shortest of answers of course, in this case, no.

Anyway, I scrolled through a few days worth of Craigslist postings and found one for a Four HP Four Stroke Yamaha over on Quadra. It's also a long shaft and, like every engine ever offered for sale, has low hours and those mostly in fresh water. (Cynical joke)

I contacted the owner and we will meet this Wed. most likely and hopefully affect the deal.
I'll give him money and he will give me his outboard.

Aside from this most recent event, there has been some effort in the pool already and someone I know claims they hooked a fish two days ago, but it escaped.
I'm hoping to have my boat in the water soon, even if only for the exercise I'll get by rowing around a bit, because I just can't get excited about seriously fishing until the end of the month, not that I won't go out sooner of course.
July Tyee are very rare, but this could be the year to change that.

Finally got my calendar organized yesterday and have a few days spoken for already, so if any of you can get up here during August and into September and want to endure a couple of hours with me in the pool you can claim an evening outing and I'll pencil you in.

Hope you are all doing well and looking forward to this season wherever you are.

Take care.

D Hadden,
Tyee Pool Tour Guide,
The Spit.
S

Among the many old adages we've all heard is: "Bad things always come in threes".

And so it seems, having recently been through the losing ones dog routine followed by the passing of one of my old surfing pals and now, as fate would have it, my venerable 1985 4.5 HP Evinrude outboard has crossed the Rainbow Bridge also, R.I.P. to all.

I won't repeat all that happened before we performed last rites on her, but suffice it to say it hurt to put her down. I bought it some 11 or 12 years ago from a member here and it pains me to confess I can't recall his name. He was great though and brought it right to my house and, as he had claimed, it was in great shape, priced fairly and served me well the past nine seasons.
To use another old adage: "It owed me nothing."
I donated its remains to our local used outboard parts supplier, aka Seaworthy Marine Recycler.

I found a twin to it for sale at Comox but missed out as someone beat me to it, probably a good thing as hindsight made me ask myself: "Do I really want another 36 year old outboard, considering the difficulties in finding new parts for it and also really needing a long shaft engine rather than a short shaft like mine was."
Whew!!

I sometimes ask myself long and convoluted questions, most often ending with the shortest of answers of course, in this case, no.

Anyway, I scrolled through a few days worth of Craigslist postings and found one for a Four HP Four Stroke Yamaha over on Quadra. It's also a long shaft and, like every engine ever offered for sale, has low hours and those mostly in fresh water. (Cynical joke)

I contacted the owner and we will meet this Wed. most likely and hopefully affect the deal.
I'll give him money and he will give me his outboard.

Aside from this most recent event, there has been some effort in the pool already and someone I know claims they hooked a fish two days ago, but it escaped.
I'm hoping to have my boat in the water soon, even if only for the exercise I'll get by rowing around a bit, because I just can't get excited about seriously fishing until the end of the month, not that I won't go out sooner of course.
July Tyee are very rare, but this could be the year to change that.

Finally got my calendar organized yesterday and have a few days spoken for already, so if any of you can get up here during August and into September and want to endure a couple of hours with me in the pool you can claim an evening outing and I'll pencil you in.

Hope you are all doing well and looking forward to this season wherever you are.

Take care.

D Hadden,
Tyee Pool Tour Guide,
The Spit.

Dave so sorry to hear of passing of your beloved Buddy. Here we are in a new season awaiting crown for biggest Cabezon this year. Are still up for challenge or are you forgoing this years derby for largest Cabezon? Tight lines old friend will be seeing you out there.

Wish I would have known the outboard had bit the dust, a friend phoned a month ago and had a new 6 hp 4 stroke for sale I probably should have bought it, but wasn’t looking for an outboard. I could have grabbed it for you.

Dave so sorry to hear of passing of your beloved Buddy. Here we are in a new season awaiting crown for biggest Cabezon this year. Are still up for challenge or are you forgoing this years derby for largest Cabezon? Tight lines old friend will be seeing you out there.

WHAT!!

Concede my crown as King Of The Cabezons??

You wish. LOL

The battle will begin as soon as I launch my boat, sometime soon rather than tonight as I threatened earlier.

Looking forward to seeing you again too, amigo.

Always all the best.

Take care.

WHAT!!

Concede my crown as King Of The Cabezons??

You wish. LOL

The battle will begin as soon as I launch my boat, sometime soon rather than tonight as I threatened earlier.

Looking forward to seeing you again too, amigo.

Always all the best.

Take care.
I feel as though I need to get Dave and Bob in my boat at the same time for a tide! I’m Certain the b.s would be as thick as tar … just the way I like it.

It's me again, and, as one might expect, the reason I've been quiet recently is due to any number of factors, none of which have been pleasant, to say the least.

However, the boat is finally in the water and moored at its usual spot.
With pal Peter unavailable I employed another pal to assist in the launch and it all went well, with but one small thing.

I decided to row the boat from the launch to its mooring spot, something that is easily done and no great distance in reality.
The immediate effect on my body was alarming, although not unexpected.
Places where one presumes there might be a muscle not used for some time announced their presence in a painful way, something not unanticipated, but still a bit of a shock.

Apparently I am in poor physical shape.
Sadly, I have no one to blame but myself.

Happily, now that I'm painfully aware of my shape I'll have some impetus to stay more physically active with some discipline added that will make me walk more, and as soon as it cools a bit every evening, row a bit also.

Looking forward to this Saturday evening as I shall be rowing Mr. Scott K and his now 12 year old son Tyler in the pool.
Old-timers here may recall Scott from 20 years ago or so when he was an enthusiastic young fellow in a rapid learning curve.
I led him to his first ever wild summer-run steelhead and he attended my wedding in Molly's Reach in 2000.

In the intervening years Scott married his high-school sweetheart, got a trade and became a journeyman in his field and generally carried on with living his life.
When last I saw Tyler he was literally a babe in arms so it will be a treat to see him now as a growing concern of a 12 year old young fellow.

Been a few early rowers out the past few evenings with one small fish taken and another hook-up claimed, but no serious action as yet.
With really good fishing not far away (not for our fish) showing signs of good survival and good feeding conditions at sea with good numbers of big healthy fish, we remain in that suspended state common to Tyee rowers, hopefully optimistic.

Hope you are all doing well and enjoying this weather, although I must confess I would love to see a couple of good downpours come along sometime soon.
My creek is becoming much more of a concern and I despair we may lose more coho fry this summer.
Ah well....

Take care.

PS.. Anyone of you who wants to come out for an evening let me know as I have many empty slots still. I might even be in better shape soon. LOL

Mid-afternoon Saturday and a brief change in plans with Scott K and family leaves me a few minutes to post a couple of pics from last night.
One of them shows what I actually thought about making into a big thing as a joke, but thought better of it.

This one.
RSCN6759.JPG
The possibilities were there. LOL

Aside from that there were another six boats out last night and Bob, the Weighmaster, told me a 24 pounder was weighed yesterday too.
Here are a couple boats lurking around the mooring buoy.
RSCN6761.JPG

The yard at the clubhouse is looking great, as always, and it was a nice evening to sit with Bob and Judy for a bit last night.

DSCN6762.JPG

Small flood so a couple of boats sat off the corner of the bar, most likely dangling spoons, hoping a big fish was holding below that was a biter.
No joy.

Anyway, the time for fish to arrive is nigh on us so any evening now could produce the first Tyee of the season.

Or so the theory goes.

Take care.

Still no Tyee registered as of this morning, but I did hear a story, somewhat sketchy, of a fish being hooked last night at dark and in front of the clubhouse.

Apparently the net was actually picked up a couple of times but put away after the fish escaped the hook.

Not positive as to who the crew were, but I'm assured that it was a combination of inexpert rod-handling and some mis-directed rowing instructions that allowed the fish to get away.

Or maybe not.

That's the difficulty of not actually being an eyewitness to these events, one is tempted to be creatively descriptive, or fall into posting sunset photos as filler.

DSCN6772.JPG

Take care.

Hi all - been a very long time since I last posted. After having the chance to see Dave for the first time in a few years (2016?) both last night at the Tyee Club and then again this morning for breakfast I sought out Dave’s annual Tyee post. Had a successful guided trip yesterday with Rick Hackinen yesterday who took the wife and son and out.

I need to thank you Dave for reminding me of my handle for this site (didn’t think it was still active lol) and my trusty old password still works lol. It was great to catch up and Tyler got to see you for the first time in around 10 years where the last time I think he was barely walking. Looking forward to getting up your way more often.

I was reading a book recently that talks about “the aggregation of marginal gains” being largely responsible for why the British cycling team finally produced winners in the major pro cycling races in more recent times. Up until then they were so bad some sponsors wouldn’t even endorse them. Then I was trying to think of examples of where anglers might utilize this concept and the main one I can think of is how bass anglers slam a 300 hp outboard on a relatively small bass boat to zip between spots. Was trying to think of opportunities to take advantage of or “aggregate” marginal gains in the Tyee Pool.

Hello again.

Just a short note to report that there was a near miss today at the Tyee Clubhouse, insofar as Randy, with Fred Gerl on the rod, managed to row into a 29 lb. one ounce fish today on the flood tide, and, as expected, it fell for a spoon.

Fred allowed they had lost a smaller one as well, so now we are starting to sense a bit more excitement amongst the Tyee crew as the day of the first one can't be far away.

Absolute mill-pond out there tonight with very tiny tides, not the best for action usually, and I haven't heard anything like a ringing bell, so I think I shall retire with visions of Tyee dancing in my head.

Maybe tomorrow.

Take care.

And here are the happy couple with their catch.

The rod-holder and new member to the club is Mr. Bruce Preston and he was rowed by a rookie rower, the lovely Mr. Rick Joubert.

The fish fell for a plug and was taken just at dark last night.

Good going men and now the cherry is broken, let's see a few more.

Take care.

FirstTyee21.png

Back