Tales From The Tyee Pool......2021..

Good morning everyone and wowzers, what a night last night was.

In the classic manner of Murphy's Law, my trusty rod-holder and I managed to be off the water when the bite happened last night.
I had to row us to the beach because of a brain fart, although there was some discussion as to who's brain had actually farted given the circumstance.

The brain fart was recognized just as the magic bitey bitey time arrived and amounted to the hard fact that my rod-holder had failed to register at the Clubhouse so if we DID manage a Tyee it would not have counted.

The antidote was to either phone Bob with a verbal "Intent to Register" claim, something that may or may not be acceptable, or row a couple hundred feet to the beach and pay the fee.

"I have no cash on me." my rod-holder declared.

I allowed as to how I would pay and he could owe me and that seemed ok, so I rowed us in and went into the yard to get Bob to meet me at the window.

I heard the following as I walked by the gang gathered to watch the events.

"They have one on out there," someone said. He was pointing southwards.

"They have one, too." said someone else. He was pointing more to the north.

"Looks like the bite is on", said another.
I cringed.

I shan't repeat exactly what I said, under my breath of course, but suffice it to say it would not be suitable for an audience of mixed company or within earshot of a child.
I think I used several of my favorite bad words.

Anyway, it seems there were four bites at more or less the same time we were not on the water, not a happy thing to realize, believe me.

Shortly after the first boat arrived at the Clubhouse we saw the numbers on the biggest fish section of the sign change from 33 to 34.

That Tyee was boated by Lisa Nicholas, rowed by Chris Nicholas, her hubby, and she became a new member of the club because of it.
Their fish took a plug.

Very quickly we saw the number on the latest fish section of the sign change from 30 1/2 to 32, announcing the fish boated by Mike LaTrace, rowed by Mark Thulin and taken on a spoon. Apparently this was Mike's very first time out in a Tyee boat so he became another new member last night.

And then another fish showed up and it weighed 31 pounds, so it replaced the 32 that had been up for mere minutes.
Boated by Maegan Dougan and rowed by that married guy she lives with named Mike.
She's not a new member, having subdued a Tyee previously.
Her fish took a plug.

I'm told there was a small one taken by someone else but not a Tyee at only 23 pounds, still was fun I bet.

So there you have it, four hook-ups in a short period of time with three being Tyee and two by new members.

And we were on the beach.

To end the evening on the same note, my rod-holder managed to take the safety cord from my new outboard home with him to Comox last night, something I realized too late to do anything about last evening.
He texted me this morning with the news he had it in his pocket and would courier it back to me today, if so desired.

Fortunately, I have a spare so will be good to go tonight when I venture forth in my ongoing quest to catch another Tyee, or boat an under-size Chinook, perhaps catch a Cabezon or maybe even get a strike.

It could happen.

Pics to follow.

Take care.

As threatened, here are the photos from last night's activities.

Third Tyee of the season and 34 lbs.

Tyee3.jpg

The fourth Tyee at 32 lbs.
Tyee4.jpg

And the fifth Tyee, at 31 lbs.

Tyee5.jpg
Nice bright fish and nice to see some fat on them. Good pasture in the North Pacific the past two years and I'm hoping it shows in more fish over 30 lbs. this year.
So far, so good.

Last edited:
It's nearly 10:00 PM and I have not heard the bell ring nor does the webcam show any activity so I will presume nothing was taken tonight during what were weird and windy conditions.
Windy, you ask?

DSCN6798.JPG
All flags were flapping freely, believe me.

Both my rod-holder and I agreed that it didn't look like a lot of fun, so we sat and watched along with numerous others.

On the other hand, at least 18 boats ventured forth into the bouncy conditions, with some holding fast in the current with the wind working against them, while others back-trolled the length of the pool then motored back up the inside before rowing out again at the top of the pool, just off the bar.
My hat's off to them and here are a couple of photos celebrating their efforts.
RSCN6800.JPG
Not nice conditions in a rowboat.

RSCN6801.JPG

Here's an overview of the scene earlier.

DSCN6796.JPG

And here's my scheduled rod-holder for this coming Friday night's attempt.
We are hoping the wind goes away but with this forecast heat bubble one never knows.
RSCN6795.JPG

That's it for now from here.

Take care.

A short but complete report from tonight's shenanigans in the pool, complete with a photo filched from Facebook.

I wimped out again but these guys didn't and were rewarded with this nice little 40 incher that tipped the scales at 32 lbs.

Congratulations to new member Grayden McInnes, on your left, who was rowed by the ever dapper Dave Soper, not on your left.
They fooled their fish with a plug.
Tyee6.jpg

Not aware of any others weighed in tonight but learned a small lesson for future reference so will most likely be out tomorrow night, unless it's really bad.

Nice to have fish around for a change.

Take care.

And here are the happy couple with their catch.

The rod-holder and new member to the club is Mr. Bruce Preston and he was rowed by a rookie rower, the lovely Mr. Rick Joubert.

The fish fell for a plug and was taken just at dark last night.

Good going men and now the cherry is broken, let's see a few more.

Take care.

View attachment 69017
Length can tell very easily from it. anything over 36". Thats a great job takes all the restraint and usually you have to go all out. Great job.

Think Dave is just plotting his time , some rain is possible which will bring more fish , good tides ahead , the next few weeks should be prime , I am sure he will get that tyee and recapture the Cabezon title .

Cleaned up the thread...now back to enjoying Dave's stories and reports.

Also, just moved a post from here to the Conservation section regarding a new fisheries notice so it can be discussed there and not take over this thread.

Last edited:
First off, thanks to our Admin for moving the DFO Announcement to the Conservation section.
Although intrinsically linked to my annual frolic here, this thread is not for that topic.

Back on topic here, we have another Tyee registered and another new member of the Tyee Club and his name is Mike Newton. His Tyee weighed 31 1/2 lbs. according to Bob, the Weighmaster.
Interesting that of the first seven Tyee registered so far this season, six have been boated by anglers who are now new members of the club.
Only one registered by an existing member, the effervescent Mrs. Dougan.

Mike had a rower who has caught a few Tyee in his career and apparently found a plug amongst his collection that works.
That rower is Morris Trace, no stranger to early morning get-ups.
It should be noted this was the first Tyee this year caught on the morning shift, all others came in the evening row.
Good going Morris and Mike.

I have no photo as yet, but I will get one up as soon as I filch it from the Tyee Club site.

Lots to contemplate going forward but will say adios for now and catch you back up later.

Take care.

Here's the photo of the two charlatans who attempted to get into the Tyee Club this morning using the old "hold the fish close to the camera and it looks bigger" routine.
Note how far back they are and how close the fish is.
Nice try, boys.

As one can plainly see, their fish weighed but 3 lbs.............. but somehow fooled Bob, the Weighmaster.

Guys are getting desperate to get in the club it seems. ;)

Tyee7.jpg

Nice fish though.

LOL

Take care.

(Just a joke.)

They are getting some Tyee off the pier and out front of Hidden Harbour some fish are rolling. Lots of work with the net pens over the years . Should be some more fish registered the next few days.

Good morning all. It's a bright Saturday and we're off to a good start already with one Tyee registered early this AM, resulting in a change on the leaderboard.

But first, let's look at the two registered last night, one hooked right beside us and the other in an area we had just passed through.
Darn!!

Anyway, here's Tyee number eight. Boated by Karen Hutton, already a member, and rowed by Peter Wipper, not a strange name on the board as he's an excellent rower and has previously rowed a few.
Good going gang.
Tyee8.jpg

And here's Tyee number nine, boated by Terry Blasco, a new member of the Tyee club.
Terry was rowed by Rick Janzen and the fish took a plug.
Good going men.
Tyee9.png

And this morning we saw the leaderboard change as the latest fish, boated by another new member, Dyson Ivanisko, weighed in at 34 1/2 lbs.
Dyson was rowed by Burt Campbell and their fish also took a plug.
Good stuff!!
And here they are.

Tyee10.jpg

So out of ten Tyee registered so far, eight of them have been by new members.
The newby's are killing it.

As usual, I rowed magnificently last night and only narrowly avoided running into the Gage powered rowboat twice.

Saw a number of large fish finning last night also, something that always makes your heartbeat increase a bit, but none of them liked our offering.
I blame my rod-holder.

Anyway, that's it from here for now but gee it's nice to see such healthy looking fish again.

Take care.

Wow some nice fish hitting the scales there. Awesome.

Good morning all. It's a bright Saturday and we're off to a good start already with one Tyee registered early this AM, resulting in a change on the leaderboard.

But first, let's look at the two registered last night, one hooked right beside us and the other in an area we had just passed through.
Darn!!

Anyway, here's Tyee number eight. Boated by Karen Hutton, already a member, and rowed by Peter Wipper, not a strange name on the board as he's an excellent rower and has previously rowed a few.
Good going gang.
View attachment 69268

And here's Tyee number nine, boated by Terry Blasco, a new member of the Tyee club.
Terry was rowed by Rick Janzen and the fish took a plug.
Good going men.
View attachment 69269

And this morning we saw the leaderboard change as the latest fish, boated by another new member, Dyson Ivanisko, weighed in at 34 1/2 lbs.
Dyson was rowed by Burt Campbell and their fish also took a plug.
Good stuff!!
And here they are.

View attachment 69270

So out of ten Tyee registered so far, eight of them have been by new members.
The newby's are killing it.

As usual, I rowed magnificently last night and only narrowly avoided running into the Gage powered rowboat twice.

Saw a number of large fish finning last night also, something that always makes your heartbeat increase a bit, but none of them liked our offering.
I blame my rod-holder.

Anyway, that's it from here for now but gee it's nice to see such healthy looking fish again.

Take care.
Dave what kind of gear have you been running this year? Like how much weight an spoon or plug?

Dave what kind of gear have you been running this year? Like how much weight an spoon or plug?

Running two different proven plugs with four ounces.

Has worked before so it's hard to get away from swimming them.

Take care.

A quick bicycle ride to the clubhouse a few minutes ago and lo and behold, we not only have another Tyee registered, but it's also the largest to date.
It weighed 34 lbs. and 15 ounces, outdoing the 34 lb. nine ounce previous leader by a mere six ounces.

In addition, it's the first fish caught on what we call the Midday tide and was both rowed and boated by Mike Stutzel, no stranger to self-rowing himself to a Tyee. He fooled it with a spoon, which seems the weapon of choice for daytime fishing.

I have no photo yet as it was just registered at 3:00 PM but will throw one up when I can.

I can.
Tyee11.jpg

Congratulations Mike and well done.

I've got lots of respect for those who do it alone in the pool.

Take care.

Last edited:
With breakfast and a couple of chores done it's time to update activities from the pool.

This update gives me great personal pleasure as it involves the fellow who rowed himself to the latest Tyee on the board last night, one of my favorite guys, Paul Curtis.

I met Paul over 20 years ago when involved with the Haig-Brown Kingfisher Creek Society, where he was a Director.
He offered to row me in the Tyee Pool, which I gratefully accepted and one outing resulted in a good hook-up with what may well have been a Tyee but came off boat-side, through the fault of neither Paul nor myself.
Not one to miss an opportunity to harass those I like the most, however, I immediately concocted the story that Paul had clumsily knocked it off trying to net it.

Since that time I have perpetrated this story annually, and often prime my rod-holders, particularly new to Paul ones, to say just loud enough for him to hear, "Is that the guy you were telling me about?" as we pass in the pool.
To his great credit Paul has played along for over 15 years or so now and, with my weird sense of humor, it never gets old.

But now to the events of last evening, as foggy and misleading and difficult to know exactly where you were at as any I've experienced out there.
The usual marks we use almost instinctively were now not visible and almost everyone had their lights on very early in the evening too, which merits a well done and helped us to avoid any collisions during the night.

We were heading north and Paul and his pal were heading south when Paul got his strike and we were very close to them when it happened, necessitating a quick reel up by Owen and some judicious and rapid strokes on the oars by me to make sure they had room to row out of the pool.

I would have been happier if it had been Owen and I towing a fish from the pool but I was almost as happy to see Paul hooked up.
Away they went and not terribly long after we heard them net it and the usual sounds of a thrashing fish before the bonk that signals the Priest being applied.
Not much later they were back trolling without going to the beach with their fish, usually a sign it's under-sized.
As we passed them I asked Paul if he'd measured it and he said "38 inches", normally very close to 30 lbs. but more often just under.
Paul thought it was under.

Someone else hooked up but in the dark I had no clue who it was and as we left they were still outside playing the fish.
After finishing up for the evening and seeing Owen off home I checked the web cam from the clubhouse and saw 30 1/2 hanging by the scale so wondered if that was the one still being played when we left.
It wasn't, it was the 38 incher Paul had boated earlier. He'd thought it was just under, based on its length, but it turned out to be over at 30 lbs. and 14 ounces.
Here they are minutes after boating it, and I must point out that Paul is wearing a jacket over his usual attire of loud and ofttimes gaudy Hawaiian shirts, sometimes blamed for scaring fish from the pool and into the river prematurely, although that could be just a rumour someone is trying to start.
CurtisTyee21.jpg

To put things in perspective, last year the second Tyee of the season was registered on August 15th.
This year, the 12th. Tyee of the year was registered on August 15th. and it was the one above.

It's nice to see fish in the pool, even if they are fleeing my presence whenever I venture forth, and I shall keep trying to have one of my rod-holders get a strike as best I can.
Back at it tonight etc. etc. etc.

Take care.

Back