Trailer brake repair

Original drum brakes lasted 20 years. installed galvanized backing plates new set of drum brakes bearings for the same cost it would of been to get disc brakes in the states. yes disc brakes are good but not a huge need unless you have a heavy boat ect. Either work just fine

Trailer Brake Requirements
  • Gross trailer weight of 1,400 kg (3,080 Ibs) or less - Brakes are required if the trailer and its load weigh more than 50% of the licensed weight of the vehicle towing it.
  • Gross trailer weight of 1,401 kg (3,081 Ibs) to 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) - Brakes are required, including a breakaway brake.
  • Gross trailer weight of more than 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) - Brakes are required, and the trailer brakes must be capable of being applied by the driver independently of the towing vehicle's brakes. A surge brake does NOT meet this requirement. A breakaway brake is also required. Brakes are required on all axles.
The sole exemption to this rule is for a 3 axle house trailer, in which case brakes are only required on 2 of the 3 axles.

Surge brakes are not legal if the gross trailer weight is more than 2800kg.

Disc brakes are better all round over drums but you can still have issues if you don't maintain and more important work them regularly. Calipers are the weak link with a disc system dunked in saltwater. The so called stainless pistons in the calipers will pit and the longer they sit without being worked they are prone to seizing in the bore. Taking the boat for a once a month spin on the trailer for a 15 minute drive and applying the brakes to work those caliper pistons and rubbing off the rotor surface rust helps prevent problems. I stop at the Sooke car wash to rinse off the trailer and boat after each trip and after getting back on the road I use the manual trailer brake actuator and drag the trailer brakes to heat them up and dry them off. Once the boat goes in the water for the summer I pull each brake apart, clean and repack the bearings, replace the rear seal, clean and lube the caliper slides. (that keeps the caliper centered on the rotor so you don't get uneven pad & rotor wear on the inner or outer side of the assembly) These immersed brakes would also last much longer by replacing the pads every season regardless of the fact they aren't worn out. New pads keep almost all of the caliper pistons inside the bore and lubricated. As pads wear out more of the piston remains outside the bore and is exposed to the elements. Pads are cheap, changing out seized brakes not so much.

Last edited:
Nakoda, if you ever own a electric/hydraulic system you will never go back to surge. The braking is so much more responsive, its instant and you can adjust the sensitivity and amount of braking on the fly from the cab. The one thing I like is that bleeding the brakes is so much easier...just pull the emergency runaway switch which turns on the hydraulic pump, then crack your caliper until no more air is present and that brake is done. Surge brakes are APITA to bleed, even more so if the trailer has no boat on it.

Nakoda, if you ever own a electric/hydraulic system you will never go back to surge. The braking is so much more responsive, its instant and you can adjust the sensitivity and amount of braking on the fly from the cab. The one thing I like is that bleeding the brakes is so much easier...just pull the emergency runaway switch which turns on the hydraulic pump, then crack your caliper until no more air is present and that brake is done. Surge brakes are APITA to bleed, even more so if the trailer has no boat on it.
Yes but not all vehicles have a brake controller. so surge brakes are good for ~5000lbs and any vehicle can tow it. But if I were to do it again I would get disc brakes from the states.

Bought lots from these guys and ship through seawings.
Best advice I can offer is to pull forward a few feet after backing up and letting the old rusty brakes sit. With servo drum brakes they energize or actuate on a pivot point and a change of rotation is required to reset them. Champion Even has stainless shoe retaining springs and pins!

Last edited:
This is a caliper that I replaced a while back that had seized in its bore and had caused the trailer brakes to overheat. The operator was wise enough to open the bleeder screw and then force the piston back into its bore. If you look at the 10-11 o'clock position you can see how salt water has seeped under the seal, dried out, and over time (about two years) forced the seal out of its bore. In any event it clearly shows that the buildup of salt is a contributing cause to brake failure. The owner now has Kodiak brakes and uses a garden sprayer mixed with salt away and uses it after each immersion in salt water as suggested by Reel Time. Trailer caliper 3.jpeg

I have a broken outer seal "dust boot" on one of my calipers on the trailer. Does anyone go through the trouble of replacing the boot and seal in the calipers or just do you just replace the calipers as a unit?

If you have the time backing the shoes off during storage helps as well, but I have definitely fixed brakes with a smart rap with a lead hammer.

A wise man once told me disc brakes on trailers cost three times as much as drums and last twice as long :confused:
I though it was "Discs cost double, but last twice as long" to accurately quote a Striper owning engineer. He also said rebuild your calipers and throw away the pads every winter if you want to avoid problems.

I have a broken outer seal "dust boot" on one of my calipers on the trailer. Does anyone go through the trouble of replacing the boot and seal in the calipers or just do you just replace the calipers as a unit?
Without seeing it I would replace the Caliper, then dismantle the old caliper and determine if it is still rebuildable, if it is I would order a kit and rebuild it as a spare.

I have just replaces my old drums with discs, then discovered one leaf spring broken so I have now replaced the springs, on doing that I have 2 inner seals that appear to have overheated and shredded, took the trailer to French Creek unloaded and then back home with the boat on the trailer ant ideas why this would happen. Thinking I may have over tightened the nut and put to much pressure on the seal.

If you are talking about the inner seal on your axle hub then overtightening the nut would not put additional pressure or force on your seals if they are installed properly. Over tightening the nut can cause extra pressure on the bearings and races and cause them to overheat and thereby damaging your seals. No expert here so just an opinion.

Normally, seals are damaged if they are installed over a damaged spindle. The damaged area will ruin the seal pretty quickly. Also it can become damaged if the hub is overgreased to a point where the seal is pushed out against the step on the spindle but you should easily see if they are pushed out. I’m sure there can be other issues but those are two that I’m aware of.

Back