Starter relay

I have a Yamaha 150 with starting issues how do you test a starter relay
Use a voltmeter : while pressing " start" switch you should have 12VDC at the relay coil .If 12 VDC is present you should have continuity between the switch contacts

First thing is direct test starter. Use booster cables to bypass everything else and just tap to briefly connect battery to starter.

Then do the multimeter tests at the solenoid to verify its function. Shop manual will have a test procedure indicating the correct pins to test . If the solenoid checks out OK then turn to the manual's section on controls and test the key switch.

If it clicks and there is the correct voltage at the starter wire side of the solenoid then it works.

If it doesn't click, hit it with a hammer :)

I always said, if you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem :)

Brown wire on starter relay. This is the 12v trigger input for that soleniod few inches off the soleniod there will be a bullet style connection. Unplug and touch the wire to the battery lead connection at the relay. Easy way to eliminate key switch. If it clicks and does not operate starter, then take the starter wire off of the relay and touch the wire manually to the battery lead.

I believe the starters have solenoids built onto them.

I have used and new starters and relays for these on a shelf at the shop. PM me if you need any parts. Pretty sure I've got a brand new starter that was out of the box I would give a special deal on.

Possible problems

Battery leads
Relay
Starter
Key switch

Brown wire on starter relay. This is the 12v trigger input for that soleniod few inches off the soleniod there will be a bullet style connection. Unplug and touch the wire to the battery lead connection at the relay. Easy way to eliminate key switch. If it clicks and does not operate starter, then take the starter wire off of the relay and touch the wire manually to the battery lead.

I believe the starters have solenoids built onto them.

I have used and new starters and relays for these on a shelf at the shop. PM me if you need any parts. Pretty sure I've got a brand new starter that was out of the box I would give a special deal on.

Possible problems

Battery leads
Relay
Starter
Key switch
Thank you I will pm you if I need anything

Thank you I will pm you if I need anything

Relay is in the electrical box in the intake side of the motor. The solenoid is built onto the starter. In case In case what I wrote was a bit confusing.

My shop is in ladner if you need anything. Cheers

Back