1993 Yamaha 9.9 outboard Wont start

IGotFishues

Ok, I don't know if this is the best place to ask but I'm at a loss, any boat guys out there with some advice ? I have a 1993 Yamaha 9.9 outboard, it was running great. But last time I took it out on the water the starter jammed up on the flywheel I didn't notice and tried to start it with the electric start a few more times. Then bam nothing, no power at all. I have done every test I can think of. Battery is good, Starter solenoid is good, starter is good, fuse is good, neutral switch is bypassed and starting button is good. I'm getting 12 volts power to the starter solenoid from the battery but no power....... I know all these parts are good from testing and as I have two of these engines and can take all the parts off one and put them on the other and it fires..... but then i switch them back to my better engine, and no power ??? it just doesn't make sense to me what am I missing ? could it be the kill switch in the tiller handle ?

Ok, I don't know if this is the best place to ask but I'm at a loss, any boat guys out there with some advice ? I have a 1993 Yamaha 9.9 outboard, it was running great. But last time I took it out on the water the starter jammed up on the flywheel I didn't notice and tried to start it with the electric start a few more times. Then bam nothing, no power at all. I have done every test I can think of. Battery is good, Starter solenoid is good, starter is good, fuse is good, neutral switch is bypassed and starting button is good. I'm getting 12 volts power to the starter solenoid from the battery but no power....... I know all these parts are good from testing and as I have two of these engines and can take all the parts off one and put them on the other and it fires..... but then i switch them back to my better engine, and no power ??? it just doesn't make sense to me what am I missing ? could it be the kill switch in the tiller handle ?
When I have old outboard problems I can’t figure out this YouTube channel is super helpful. He also has a website. https://www.youtube.com/@DangarMarine

When I have old outboard problems I can’t figure out this YouTube channel is super helpful. He also has a website. https://www.youtube.com/@DangarMarine
thanks for the reply ! I love Dangar! Unfortunately, I have watched his video on outboard no crank that's half an hour long three times! And even left a comment on the video haha. That's how I was able to figure out how to test all the different starting components, It seems like I'm missing something simple that's not talked about in the video, I will keep searching tho.

Cheeerss

thanks for the reply ! I love Dangar! Unfortunately, I have watched his video on outboard no crank that's half an hour long three times! And even left a comment on the video haha. That's how I was able to figure out how to test all the different starting components, It seems like I'm missing something simple that's not talked about in the video, I will keep searching tho.

Cheeerss
I had an old outboard where the tiller kill switch shorted in the handle. You can bypass it pretty easily. I just had to remove a wire on my mercury. Not sure what kind of motor you have but it should be straight forward.

Not yet as engine is at my parents and I'm waiting on my thirteen dollar starting solenoid off of amazon LMAO. Then I can run some more test, ill keep you guys posted and let you know when I figure this out. Again I'm open to any thoughts, as I'm pretty stumped. 😒

Usually the engine turn over but won’t start when the kill switch is off, so if it won’t turn over I doubt it’s the kill switch

Ok, I figured it out!! It was the power cable from the battery to the starter solenoid. I figured it out by bypassing the solenoid on my one engine with the hot power cable and it spun the starter, then repeating the same test on my broken one and sure enough no power. It was a weird one as the ohm meter read 12volts at the end of cable (solenoid side) ! Lesson learned, you can’t always trust an ohm meter! When I took the cable out and sliced it to see the inside it had a bad corrosion spot cutting just enough power to make the solenoid click sometimes and the rest of the time nothing. Thanks for all the reply’s and help !

Cheers guys

Ok, I figured it out!! It was the power cable from the battery to the starter solenoid. I figured it out by bypassing the solenoid on my one engine with the hot power cable and it spun the starter, then repeating the same test on my broken one and sure enough no power. It was a weird one as the ohm meter read 12volts at the end of cable (solenoid side) ! Lesson learned, you can’t always trust an ohm meter! When I took the cable out and sliced it to see the inside it had a bad corrosion spot cutting just enough power to make the solenoid click sometimes and the rest of the time nothing. Thanks for all the reply’s and help !

Cheers guys
didnt it have high resistance with all that corrosion

I've seen battery cables with black mushy copper a couple to a few feet up from the ends before. Several times. Break it open with a razor knife and you find it. Still has continuity however will not support high amperage whatsoever. This is why the best diagnostic tool for troubleshooting is a set of jumper cables. Connect to the battery and hit the starter direct, then solenoid, etc. Work your way up the chain. 👍

I'm not the greatest with electrical, I just saw that I was getting 12volts. But I had my sisters boyfriend who is an electrician, test it out a week ago and he couldn't find any faults. It also could have been the ground as the end was in rough shape so I cut 6 inches away and put on a new crimp. I did both repairs at once so I guess well never know. The corrosion in the positive was bad in the one spot, its like the cable had a pin hole and it was right in the well were the water is. The real taker from this post is if you've tested your battery, starter, starter solenoid and your neutral safety switch and they are all good, its your cables....

Tbh I'm just happy its fixed lol

cheers

Last edited:
Back