Stangest Catch

The strangest thing I've ever caught was a vagina with teeth hahaha …at least that is what it looked like. I snagged the bottom with the flasher, turned the boat around to get it unsnagged. When I pulled the line really hard i felt it slipped a few inches and then came free and thats when I pulled up a deep red fleshy thing about the size of a softball with a mouth that ran from one end to the other with teeth and my anchovy in its mouth. I touched it and it was soft and fleshy. I took my pliers and shook it off my hook. Would that be some kinda shell fish?

And plastic bags. I caught three so far this year.

My strangest was...... a filet o fish!
About 45 min earlier I had filleted a side of pink salmon that I was going to use for hali fishing, but decided to throw it to an eagle to try and get a cool picture. The fillet sank to fast for the eagle. I was motor mooching and about 45 minutes later the rod starts bouncing. I jumped and got a good hook set! After expertly fighting it for 10 minutes or so :) I netted it. My dad almost pissed his pants when he realised I had caught the Fillet o fish!

I caught a full tackle box with all gear intact and not rusty. Hook thru handle in the trap shack about 6 years ago.

I caught a 30 pound cabazon while halibut fishing. I had strung a can of tuna on 100 pound mono off my spreader bar. I then had a salmon belly for bait on hooks. Dumb butt fish swallowed the can of tuna instead of the salmon belly! LOL

-KK

Karma I still am not covinced that is actually a cabezon. The record for a cabezon is 23 pounds, and records are not often broken by that much. Maybe a funny looking ling or that other species of giant sculpin?

I thought I had a solid size halibut on and even got the harpoon ready. So no joke it was huge. Im 99% sure it was a cabazon.

-KK

Cool then you hold the record. Though unlike bass, trout and salmon etc, few people probably care. :confused: Not sure why some fish attract so much more attention than others.

I don't put a lot of faith in records especially I.G.F.A (International Game Fish Assocciation) , I have been involved as a guide trying to help a customer register a ten pound Copper Rockfish caught on eight pound test line. This was back in the late seventies and of course the fish would not qualify unless it was weighed on a official I.G.F.A scale by what they then considered a impeccable judge who had to be at least a notary. Of course it so happened that there wasn't a official scale anywhere on Vancouver Island at that time so my guests only option was to take it on the ferry to Seattle there to be met by someone who could properly document it. And then over two following years I was called on four different occasions to send in witness accounts and samples of the fishing line and other photographic evidence and even when I supplied all this on each occasion at my own expense ( including notary and reprints of photographs ) it was turned down for some reason.

I would think that any sane individual would have given up long before and most probably many others did in those days when there were many very much larger fish around, and there is no telling how many world records on lesser gamefish species were passed over because of the difficulty's like I described.

On another note there was a a year long tournament set up in the early eighties by the well known fishing line company Triple Fish in which they advertized that they would pay what I think was five hundred dollars for any new worlds records that were set with their line. It was rumored at the time that a doctor from Seattle went after this prize in a big way setting new records on Kelp Greenling, Black Rockfish and a few others just by exploring the then underutilized bottom fisheries around the San Juan Islands.

Snagged a halibut jig off bottom out at big bank....... What the heck, tied it on and soon thereafter snagged bottom and lost it.......about hour later on another pass, I snagged the same jig off the bottom again.

None of us could believe it, lots of laughs followed...........our guide kept it, kinda like a trophy.

Pulled up an old vertical hand crank downigger with a bit of old cable on it. Pulled it up from the nasty & rocky reef on the northwest side of Shag Rock in Sidney. Interestingly it came from a wooden boat as the mounting screws and a chunk of the hull were also attached. OUCH!

Blackvelvet.... sounds to me like you found a needle in a haystack... TWICE! I give your guide my respect, he certainty knows how to get the lines fishing in the hole every pass. My biggest *Wth* moment was when I caught a halibut fishing salmon in about 50 feet of water in the straits north of campbell river. It was about 25 lbs and I knew I had something big on the line... but It fought differently then anything i'd ever caught. They were in season and it was quite a delicious surprise! Tried targeting them in the area and never caught another yet, and talked to some people living in the area and it blew their minds as they had never seen one caught there either. Like I said, a very very very delicious surprise :)

A few seasons back i was fishing hali with Osama. We had some taps and he picks up the rod in prep for the hookset and the fish just hammers down. Having just landed a hali his hands were covered in slime and the rod shot right out of his hands. After some swearing he puts down another rod and i hook up a spinnow on a third rod. I chucked it out the back and slowly dragged it on along the bottom. After 5 minutes of this I almost have the spin now at the boat when i feel a tug. Surprisingly i actually snagged the line, we managed to boat the rod and still struggling fish!

You must have done something really good to make the fish gods give you that sorta luck! I bet his knuckles were white reeling the fish in for attempt #2 ;)

Back