Stamp

I dont know about you guys but if I screwed up like that where I work heads would roll this crap goes on and on and nobody answers for it some one needs to be hald accountable:(

I dont know about you guys but if I screwed up like that where I work heads would roll this crap goes on and on and nobody answers for it some one needs to be hald accountable:(

I heard that the commercial fishers took close to 50 000 pieces before they had enough fish on the spawning grounds. I think that sometimes DFO does it on purpose. They are doing everything in their power to destroy this fishery....makes me sick.

I heard that the commercial fishers took close to 50 000 pieces before they had enough fish on the spawning grounds. I think that sometimes DFO does it on purpose. They are doing everything in their power to destroy this fishery....makes me sick.

quote:Originally posted by Barbender

I heard that the commercial fishers took close to 50 000 pieces before they had enough fish on the spawning grounds...

Actually it was closer to 80,000 removed between the commercial gillnet/seine openings combined with the FN hit. And there is still insufficient escapement to the spawning grounds (and obviously won't be now). This is typical for the type of mamangement the Department rams through. In this case (yet again) They decided that their computor model was more accurate than on the ground observations, and so, even when the catch figures indicated the run was much smaller than the predicted 130,000, They allowed even more openings to ensure each sector would realize their harvestable quota based on the 130K return number. Were this a one-time mistake, it could perhaps be viewed in a somewhat different light. But, sadly, it is not, rather an ongoing situation not solely limited to the SSS system. Ludicrous. Makes one wonder just how much more "management" of this particular type the stock can handle before it entirely collapses. Whatever happened to Accountability?[V]

Nog

quote:Originally posted by Barbender

I heard that the commercial fishers took close to 50 000 pieces before they had enough fish on the spawning grounds...

Actually it was closer to 80,000 removed between the commercial gillnet/seine openings combined with the FN hit. And there is still insufficient escapement to the spawning grounds (and obviously won't be now). This is typical for the type of mamangement the Department rams through. In this case (yet again) They decided that their computor model was more accurate than on the ground observations, and so, even when the catch figures indicated the run was much smaller than the predicted 130,000, They allowed even more openings to ensure each sector would realize their harvestable quota based on the 130K return number. Were this a one-time mistake, it could perhaps be viewed in a somewhat different light. But, sadly, it is not, rather an ongoing situation not solely limited to the SSS system. Ludicrous. Makes one wonder just how much more "management" of this particular type the stock can handle before it entirely collapses. Whatever happened to Accountability?[V]

Nog

i heard about

sockeye runs -few
Winter Barkley Sound herring-few
chinooks- less number of chinooks to SSS this year.

looks like Alberni DFO (who is accountablity in DFO dept)gets a poor mark for fisheries management. (overfishing I assume)

[xx(]

Good news on coho numbers in SSS.:)

i heard about

sockeye runs -few
Winter Barkley Sound herring-few
chinooks- less number of chinooks to SSS this year.

looks like Alberni DFO (who is accountablity in DFO dept)gets a poor mark for fisheries management. (overfishing I assume)

[xx(]

Good news on coho numbers in SSS.:)

hey guys. my girlfriend wants me to take her out on the river monday. anywhere still decent enough that i might get her into one?

Winter run usually peaks early to mid January, use this as your guide. Fishing the late season is too easy. Lots of hungry fish on the mend from doing the dirty.:D If you prefer chromers to tomatoes, err on the early side. Good luck!

i just want to know when the first fish come in. i don't care about the peak of the run. anyone with half a brain can catch a steelhead then. i like the challenge of catching the first winter steelhead of the year!

U da man!;) Nov 15 the first winter steelhead will enter the system, how do I know? He called and told me:D

Give me a B-R-E-A-K!! Why are so many people on this board so friggin' ignorant?? The guy asked a simple question and you toads can't even give him an easy simple answer to his query! Not even an inch! That totally saddens me that you guys are so anally retentive that you can not even share a minute, tiny bit of info with him! Pathetic!:([xx(] Really Pathetic![V]

Since when is Island fishing such a F_c_in' big secret!!! Give the lad a break! It's not like it has not been published a million times in the past, over and over again and again!! SAD! :( Com'on, give you're heads a shake![V]:([}:)]

Most steelhead enter the SSS and other island flows on an odd year and mainly when the river is aprox 35 degrees or so...it is not worth targeting these elusive fish unless it has been a full moon for at least two weeks straight, while it is very important that the rain hammer down to what seems to be no end, before this long time cousin of the sturgeon enters the flow...normally the best opportunities to snag these bad boys is when the water hits mid tree, or at least 10 to 15 branch's up - it should really be about 14 feet above normal summer flows. It must be raging aprox. 55kmh, otherwise they will not find propery holding water...

My favorite month to hit steel is in mid to late September...man I can hardy wait to hit it again - Yeesh, it sure seems like a long, long, long way away! I cant' wait! I guess I'll have to have alot of planning sessions in the mean time...I am possitive that I did see one last year, I am sure it was a beauty steel...it had to be 40, maybe 50 pounds, and as black as they come. Man it sure was a beauty!

Cheers,
RVP. ;)[}:)] hehe...

Man, you guys give it away like the town bike! And I have it on pretty good authority that they'll be a day late this year...so book the 15th and 16th, Bags, just in case.[:eek:)]

Back