Stainless Pipe Bending

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hi Guy's

I am rebuilding my gas powered prawn trap puller with a stainless steel boom. I am looking to have a bend put into the pipe. I got a quote from a local shop here and the cost is ridiculous. Anybody on here have the tooling to put a 105deg bend into a 1.5" Sch40 Stainless pipe? I am located on the Mainland.

Thanks

Hi Guy's

I am rebuilding my gas powered prawn trap puller with a stainless steel boom. I am looking to have a bend put into the pipe. I got a quote from a local shop here and the cost is ridiculous. Anybody on here have the tooling to put a 105deg bend into a 1.5" Sch40 Stainless pipe? I am located on the Mainland.

Thanks
Find someone with a JD Sq bender with 1.5” die, I have one but don’t have that die.
You could try Cal at CS Metal works, 778-991- 6967, not sure of his status as haven’t talked with in a while

You need to be careful when working with stainless steel, contact with normal carbon steel will contaminate it and believe it or not, it will start to rust. I had the frame for my fish table bent in stainless, the tools had to be stainless or protected against contact with the pipe. Even using a carbon steel Allen wrench on the screws made them rust. In our shop we have rubber mats over the welders benches, stainless buffing wheels, no contact with carbon steel is allowed!.

Absolutely anything to do with stainless steel is $$$. Try calling ksm laser in langley and see what they reccomend.

You bending pipe or tube?

I had a JD2 with. 1.5” die if I can help. That is for tube though, not pipe.

Unless its 316 and unless hes polishing it it really doesnt matter. Honestly Why not use aluminum anyway? We use aluminum for sport and commercial hualer running hydrualics. Use shedule 40 or 80 depening on application. Easy to cut bend and weld.

The reason I am going to to stainless steel is my aluminum Prawn trap puller can be found at these coordinates 50.649714 by -128.381672 you might need some gear to get down to it. The aluminum pipe sheared clean off at the gunnel due to wear at the pin location. I have access to material for free so why not go stainless. I am planning on giving it nice polish once done and I am aware that pickling might be required.

I had ours sheer off at the gunnel also. But we saved the pipe as it was tipping lol. Because of the pin. 3/8 hole. Which I find it's best to use without the pin. Helps you define the right angle for picking up the gear. Takes 2 guys but alot more effective and less constant pressure on the pipe.

Curious what puller this is or is it custom ?

One problem with bendable aluminum pipe is its 4 or 5 thousand series pipe. Which is why in commercial applications we use 6061 pipe and weld the bend and weld a gusset. Never seen one of those break. Unless it was a complete mishap from a deckhand

The reason I am going to to stainless steel is my aluminum Prawn trap puller can be found at these coordinates 50.649714 by -128.381672 you might need some gear to get down to it. The aluminum pipe sheared clean off at the gunnel due to wear at the pin location. I have access to material for free so why not go stainless. I am planning on giving it nice polish once done and I am aware that pickling might be required.

I don't have the coordinates for mine. It took the swivel scotty mount with it. It was that or sink the boat. It had serious power.

Back