SOOKE REPORTS spring/summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree the survival rate is very high if not gill hooked and few are. We have released quite a few beside the boat with a gaff hook twist or a pair of pliers and most all of them did well. Spoons with a single hook are easy to release. After the fish is a little tired out, keep your boat speed up and it will often calm down and swim beside the boat. Study the fish and avoid netting it if it is not clipped, so a small number may get off while you are checking them out, it’s not like you won’t ever catch another one. I was very impressed with how resilient salmon are when we were clipping Coho fry. You see them netted in a group and lifted out like a little purse seiner, drugged, squeezed hard by adults and children, dropped on the table and concrete floor, rolled around and picked up with blunt fingers, and yet an hour later 100% of them are swimming around looking no worse for wear in the tanks.

quote:Originally posted by profisher

This right from DFO scientists and researchers. We were told they observed some very rough handling and still had high survival

and they are right all the time and we never question their statistics right?? I've heard those numbers before, and unless they tag all these fish before they are thrown back for tracking and the sample was significant, I call BS. I bet at least 75% of fishers will be netting the fish, getting them in the boat, letting them twist and smack around and lose 1/2 their scales before they are thrown back in. They will make it? I don't think so. I try to take care with my fish - have netted many that shouldn't have been netted to waste time measuring or making sure I can keep it (yes, us weekend warriors can't ID from 50'!) I have stuck with a fish in the water trying to revive it for several minutes without bleeding gills and just a bad thrashing on the boat only to see it float away. That kills me - I'd rather be able to catch my fish regardless of species and go home.

Gotta remember, just because YOU can spot a sockeye or see a clipped fin from 50' and can quickly release, doesn't mean that is the norm around here.

I'm with Dave S, let me see the stats and I want tagged and tracked, cause everything else is just speculation.

Oh yeah, and the gas comment and all, that related more to Renfrew having been out on charters there a few times myself - I am sure most would agree they'd much rather be able to get their coho and move on back to the beach or whatever instead getting the chit kicked out of them all day long on the banks trying to find the clipped.

Are you really saying your fish die because you net them? Give your head a shake. Being a weekend warrior is no excuse.If its not 100% legal fish DO NOT NET IT.

If its questionable just pull it alongside the boat and until you see if it has a fin or not. As mentioned if its legal then net it but at this point its likely easier to handbomb or gaff. If its not legal then pop it off with a gaff or if need be use pliers. You might loose a few to thrashing while waiting to see but who cares if your not selfish and save fish.

kelly - that was examples along the way for me, not common place (although I guarantee its the norm for many fishers out there) - when its coho season and you know thats what you are catching bombing along at 4mph, thats one thing as all you are looking for is the clip , but if its middle of august and you don't know off hand if you have a coho or sockeye at a glance, yeah, those of us that don't see every species 50x a year do often net and check (and for the record, by the end of this season, I was getting a much better grasp in the water of coho vs sockeye - something you can only get with experience as this was my first year fishing for them in a good 8-9 years and even that was a 1 time experience with a guide up island where I didn't pay attention). It also depends who I'm with - net may be instant kneejerk (as with many guides as well). I have let many a fish off from the side of the boat as well.

Lets look at the 'typical' scenario, not just the way you 'pro's' are doing it.

for $15 you can replace the netting on your giant scotty net with soft knot free netting that is safe to net fish.

agreed the fish can take a beating and still survive but when a seal takes a chunk out of a fish he doesn't also wipe off all the slime. Its the infection that happens when the slime is gone that is the killer.

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org

You are right Poppa, in the long run the damage to the slime layer is fatal. Therefore: never touch ANY fish to be released with DRY hands! Better no touching (net or hand) at all. One could argue that a salmon on its way up the river may not live long enough to die from skin infection but rather not take a chance I'd say. If possible leave the fish beside the boat and net only if it's a keeper. I know a number of guides here set a good example how it should be done and that's what I would expect them to do - be a good example! Rather lose than kill one more than necessary. Nobody starves without that one that got away...

Well I have to say the past week has impressed me and also made me sick. I will start with the good. Wednesday went out and nailed 2 nice hatch coho about 12 pounds and a wild about 16. Then thursday went out and lost 4 nice ones at the boat in the 12-16 pound range. Saterday was out for 4 hours without a bite but we were to far out. On sunday we heard that they were in the 350-400 ft mark instead of way out. We managed to hit 14 fish. 12 wild a 10 pound hatch and a nice 12 pound feeder. All our fish were deep (150+ ft) and on purple haze hootchies.

Out for hali in a little bit. Will report back later.

-Steve

Well I forgot the bad stuff on my last post. I was trolling off the head and saw some guys net a fish bring it into the boat stare at it for atleast 5 mins then throw it out of the boat. It goes belly up. So they put the boat in revers and start to beat it with the net to try to revive it. Then yesterday i get to the dock and there was atleast 12 wild coho being cleaned including one that was a jack maybe pushing 3 pounds tops.[xx(]:([V]

Pisses me off beyond belief.

-Steve :(

well deewar looks like we opened up a whole new can of worms & got some strays to come back to the thread even though they said they were done with it!;)regards Sammy

quote:Originally posted by sammyslabber

well deewar looks like we opened up a whole new can of worms & got some strays to come back to the thread even though they said they were done with it!;)regards Sammy

yep, about the right time of year just before the Oct 1 opening and everyone slaying the unclipped they can't keep. Discussion is all good - I know tons of people are in the same boat as me even if they won't admit it - fishing isn't the norm, its more a privilege. My family all love fish and I want to provide for them, so I will be trying harder to get them into the boat (once again, I am more referring to this past sockeye season vs coho where there were a few coho mixed in).

Bottom line, in an ideal world, DFO just says any 4 fish of which 2 can be coho, 2 can be spring, get rid of the annual debate and the unnecessary catch by those using a big treble and/or a rough handling attitude. I gripe, but I make an effort to present solutions to DFO to improve the situation at least - I want to take my fish and get off the water so to not risk harming more.

quote:Originally posted by Deewar25

quote:Originally posted by sammyslabber

yep, about the right time of year just before the Oct 1 opening and everyone slaying the unclipped they can't keep. Discussion is all good - I know tons of people are in the same boat as me even if they won't admit it - fishing isn't the norm, its more a privilege. My family all love fish and I want to provide for them, so I will be trying harder to get them into the boat (once again, I am more referring to this past sockeye season vs coho where there were a few coho mixed in).

Bottom line, in an ideal world, DFO just says any 4 fish of which 2 can be coho, 2 can be spring, get rid of the annual debate and the unnecessary catch by those using a big treble and/or a rough handling attitude. I gripe, but I make an effort to present solutions to DFO to improve the situation at least - I want to take my fish and get off the water so to not risk harming more.

I could expound on this topic but deewar sums up my view of the issue.

Although it sounds good on the surface, the catch and release of wild coho and only allowing the retention of clipped is simply another underhanded ploy/agenda of DFO to destroy the stocks.

To argue that catch and release of super agressive fish being impaled by large hooks and alot still barbed (let's not kid ourselves) then being netted in an over exhausted state and subsequently sufficated, de-slimed and de-scaled, is an effective management tool is simply bs.

I know alot of people, including myself, know how to id and properly release a fish untouched but I have witnessed too many times that the vast majority net first and ask questions later.

I have not always had the best success at the side of the boat with a played out fish. Sometimes a fish needs to be tailed so that one can ensure it's proper breathing before it's let go. A green fish can accidentally snap a leader leaving a hook in it's yap before you get a chance to use the gaff ( no , not gaff the fish, but rather using the gaff by sliding it down the leader to pop the hook )

On the flip side I have seen fish drift back on and through the kicker prop as they struggled to uppright themselves.

Nah, not any more. I use a catch and release net at the side of the boat. I net and keep the fish in the water. I never bring it on the deck unless I am planning on keeping it. I unhook the fish in the net ( in the water and ensure it is breathing fully before I flip it out of the net.) No slime loss, no unecessary handling, no blunt trauma from thumping the deck, no scales lost and a strong fish upon release.

I should note that this method is used for big Coho, Chinook and Steelhead. For smallish fish under 10lbs I use the gaff and pop technique as usual.

When you use the gaff method to release a fish in the water they often go into shock and float on their side.If this happens just touch the fish along the side or near the tail with the back of the gaff.They come back to life and are gone in a second.Why do guys get so upset about releasing fish? We have to release wild coho now and springs earlier in the year,so we should all learn how to do it properly.

As with Springs and Lings, Coho and Halis should be added to the license and recorded. Say you're allowed 6 halis per year and 10 Coho (clipped or un clipped) per year.

This would allow the fisherman to make the judgement on if he should keep it because it is injured beyond releasing, it's a trophy size, or they can release it and save an empty spot on there licience for another catch.

Let's Go Fishing!
Doug
D&D Fishing Charters

If you guys are seeing people net or bonk wild coho then do something. There is not enough DFO around to do it. Dont get in a fight at the dock but let them know strongly as most are likely uneducated.

Even a C&R net is not great unless its those rubber coated ones.I sold my net for a C&R one years ago and have released 2 fish with it then stopped. Even if you hold them in the water when netted they still get scale loss by the time you release.Below is the 2 examples with obvious scale loss. The gaff really is the best if used properly to both land and release even big springs when your into them. If you guys dont know how to use it then ask someone to show you and i bet youll never go back.

sammy.jpg

bb2-1.jpg

Bit of a hijack but likely a beneficial discussion.

quote:Originally posted by kelly

The gaff really is the best if used properly to both land and release even big springs when your into them. If you guys dont know how to use it then ask someone to show you and i bet youll never go back.

You gaff a fish and then release it?? Or am I just reading it wrong and you gaff keepers and use the gaff to get them unhooked alongside the boat when letting em go back?

I question whether it is a good idea to suggest gaffing keepers to the average weekend warrior just in case they miss ID a fish, gaff it, and then realize it's wild or a different species or w.h.y.

I know I don't feel confident enough to try to gaff a salmon just incase I hit it but the gaff doesn't stick and the fish gets off with a big wound.

If you don't have catch and release then the only option is closed period. They can't get a catch of any wild before Oct 1st past the natives so forget it. That would include March 1st till June 15th this year on upper Fraser springs. (they wanted July 15th and may go there in time) Are you prepared to fish from July 15 till Sept 15 and be tied up or fishing hali the balance? How you going to sell keep the first fish you catch to the lodges on the north coast? Pay $4,000.00 to fish 4 days in the Charlottes and you can only keep 1 spring per day as it is. So in your scenario you catch a 15 pounder each day in the first 5 minutes and have to stop? Switch to coho catch a 8 pounder in the next 10 minutes, stop again. A hali in the next hour and back at the lodge for the next 14 hours playing cards. C'mon it won't happen. By the way those fish were held for 24 to 48 hours after the rough handling and still 95% survival. I landed over 20 Coho this morning in 4 hrs, kept 3 clips. The rest all swam away, a couple with a hook left in them as I didn't want to risk digging them out.

Like this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wASIHOvNUw
use a gaff to release it with out even touching the fish.
Get the leader line in the end of the gaff and pull the leader line and the gaff in opposite direction, when the gaff end reaches the hook I try to hold the leader line as low as I can while lifting the gaff and twisting it a bit and the hook easily pops out. If the hook is in to deep in the mouth this won't always work, then try to use long pliers..

quote:Originally posted by Dave S

quote:Originally posted by kelly

The gaff really is the best if used properly to both land and release even big springs when your into them. If you guys dont know how to use it then ask someone to show you and i bet youll never go back.

You gaff a fish and then release it?? Or am I just reading it wrong and you gaff keepers and use the gaff to get them unhooked alongside the boat when letting em go back?

I question whether it is a good idea to suggest gaffing keepers to the average weekend warrior just in case they miss ID a fish, gaff it, and then realize it's wild or a different species or w.h.y.

I know I don't feel confident enough to try to gaff a salmon just incase I hit it but the gaff doesn't stick and the fish gets off with a big wound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back