SOOKE REPORTS spring/summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of big time catch and release fisheries that work. The kenai River in Alaska for one. Your allowed 1 king per person. You can catch and release as many as you want. Once you decide to take your fish, you must put your rod away and only watch. (if partnered in a guided jet boat) Stealhead is another. If you were allowed the first Steelie no matter wild or not...how many wilds would be left on the Vedder for example..or Stamp. They would be fished out in a couple of years with the pressure those rivers get.

quote:Originally posted by Dave S

quote:Originally posted by kelly

The gaff really is the best if used properly to both land and release even big springs when your into them. If you guys dont know how to use it then ask someone to show you and i bet youll never go back.

You gaff a fish and then release it?? Or am I just reading it wrong and you gaff keepers and use the gaff to get them unhooked alongside the boat when letting em go back?

I question whether it is a good idea to suggest gaffing keepers to the average weekend warrior just in case they miss ID a fish, gaff it, and then realize it's wild or a different species or w.h.y.

I know I don't feel confident enough to try to gaff a salmon just incase I hit it but the gaff doesn't stick and the fish gets off with a big wound.

You pull the fish to the side of the boat. ID as legal or not. If its legal just gaff or chuck in the boat(if under 15ish lbs). If its not then slide your gaff down your leader then twist the fishing hook out in one motion with the gaff hook. Tried to find a vid but no luck. Ill take one next wk.

Deewar, - there may be a simple solution to your issue with Coho getting netted by mistake while Sockeye fishing although I see Kelly just alluded to it. The simple solution is don’t net Sockeye. Generally they are not large, just use 40 to 50lb test leader and a small squirt with a good size single hook attached to a swivel. The single hook and swivel holds well, does not tend to do much damage and are very easy to release. Then grab the leader and lift (not jerk) them into the boat. I learned this near the end of this sockeye season and lifted in 5 or 6 without any problem and none getting off. Saves a lot of time, you can leave the gear down and it allows you to stay on the school. If one is concerned about confusing Coho with a Sockeye, grab the leader and lift its head a little leaving the body in the water to support its weight. So now while looking into it's mouth anyone who can’t tell if it is a Coho or a Sockeye ...

Freeboard height also makes a difference in how guys will attempt to release their fish. When I guided from smaller boats ( ie. Charlottes ) leaning over and tailing fish was optimal as you could cheat a quick photo for your guest. Operating from a boat that has high freebaords is an entirely differant beast.. Leaning over really isn't an option. Personally , I take every caution when I am planning a C&R and even then it isn't always perfect. Sorry , but you can't tell me that every release is going to be perfect with the method you use. As long as a guy is using due diligeance there is not much more he can do.

I know that not everyone out there exercises this good nature. Some are outright animals. It's all about education. So, continue spreading the word guys.

Now back to the reports[:p]

Fished the tidelines this afternoon outside of Beecher Bay from about 1-5pm. Couple of light strikes and one Pink salmon. All strikes on blue/green squirts. Very slow. Fished in about 4-500' of water.

TenMile
<'((((><

So, am I correct in interpreting the regulations as: after October 1st, four coho per day, only 1 being wild?

Or is that only for area 20-2 (Port Renfrew bay)?

Thanks.

Dave

quote:Originally posted by highlights

Freeboard height also makes a difference in how guys will attempt to release their fish. When I guided from smaller boats ( ie. Charlottes ) leaning over and tailing fish was optimal as you could cheat a quick photo for your guest. Operating from a boat that has high freebaords is an entirely differant beast.. Leaning over really isn't an option. Personally , I take every caution when I am planning a C&R and even then it isn't always perfect. Sorry , but you can't tell me that every release is going to be perfect with the method you use. As long as a guy is using due diligeance there is not much more he can do.

I know that not everyone out there exercises this good nature. Some are outright animals. It's all about education. So, continue spreading the word guys.

Now back to the reports[:p]

This is still an apples and oranges issue on so many levels.

Depending on location and type of fishery for instance. Offshore c&r'ing a couple dozen fish to find the odd hatchery vs inshore where catch rate is usually much lower and a few wild can be released relatively unscathed if done properly.

At the end of the day, all we can hope under the current conditions is exactly what Highlights has described...education about proper practice, due diligence and respect for the resource.

Where are the moderators to zap this thread! This is getting pathetic let's get back to sooke reports take your debate to a new thread!

Just so you know, many of the cohos you catch out of Sooke right now are probably Sooke River fish as I can confirm that the Cohos have showed up in the river already - and they are BIG!

quote:Originally posted by adrianna3

So, am I correct in interpreting the regulations as: after October 1st, four coho per day, only 1 being wild?

Thanks.

Dave
Check out: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/opportunities-possibilites/PN/2010/18-19-20-co-ch.pdf. 20-5 to 20-7 the retention is one wild and 3 hatchery coho. Hope this helps. Maybe someone in DFO will simplify their website. It takes so long to get through the information.

“The Gods do not subtract from men’s lives - the time spent fishing.”

quote:Originally posted by adrianna3

Thanks.

Dave
See your entry below. You are correct.

As of oct1st renfrew is 4 a day 3 can be wild or all hatch jobs.
2 of the wilds are from in the bay and 1 outside let the slaughter begin.

I'm heading to PR everyday from Sooke, It's a long trip by boat but wait until you see all those fish I bring back to Sooke every day.

Just joking.

Good luck to everyone in the PR derby. There should be lots of action and hopefully sunny weather.

Let's Go Fishing!
Doug
D&D Fishing Charters

Now back to fishing reports.

Was out today from 7-3 and was into well over 30 fish. Landed 14 wild and 4 hatchery cohos and 3 feeder springs. Many others lost. It was mehem only a few of the hits were NOT double headers. So much fun! Kept one of the hatchery Coho's for dinner and all but one of the wilds and feeders were released to swim another day. One wild was gill hooked and a bad bleeder. Still kills me to let them go. Many others lost. It was mehem only a few of the hits were NOT double headers. So much fun! Everything was deep 120-175 ft on the rigger and out from beechy head. 450 ft of water. Green/White glow hootchie was best!

A wild I released...
FishingforCohossept29th2010014.jpg

-Steve

Yup. See how kind I am. The fewer who know the better for us that know. I have never seen such large coho before. Hope they are still around on October 1. But a 100 and 110 feet deep?? Don't know what is going on other than water being a little warmer this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back