SOOKE REPORTS spring/summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest was a red buck getting a bit red around the fins and the others were white chromes vey nice fish with a lot of spots on the body and tails now if I figure out how to download from my phone ill post a pic. LOL LOL

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

No springs for us today but two beauty clipped Cohos: 12# and just shy of 16#. Off possession pt.
Where did you get your springs, Wolf?

coho.jpg
[/img]

quote:Originally posted by chris73

No springs for us today but two beauty clipped Cohos: 12# and just shy of 16#. Off possession pt.
Where did you get your springs, Wolf?

coho.jpg
[/img]

do you work??? :D

nice fish

Lol, I saw you for a while - then you were gone for a bit like a ghost just to reappear a bit later. Wonder if you slipped away to a secret spot to get those springs since we never hooked into one of them where we were.

Not a lot today. A fair number of strikes but not much that would stay on other than a 12 lb clipped coho on Anchovy straight out off the harbour.

Same for me yesterday also heard a pod of killer whales came in about 6 am yesterday so im thinking that didnt help much we got into a few feeders that they didnt want to keep and some VERY nice coho wild of course one had to be close to 15+ lbs nice to see next week (oct1) when we are allowed to keep one of them....

good luck wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

So here is the pic from the sept 21 day I did. biggest fish these guys got prior was a 6 lb walleye from slave lake and yes they are definatlly hooked on west coast fishing LOL
salmon2010155sept21trip.jpg

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

That rainbow trout on the left is the biggest I've ever seen!!! Nice green and red colours. LOL :D

I knew you were good, Wolf, but I never...

I called DFO a couple of weeks ago and it was sounding like Oct 1st for the one unclipped Coho retention. We will of course most likely have to wait to the last day of Sept. to be certain. I cannot bring myself to call the unclipped ones wild Coho since we all know that at the Sooke Hatchery a very large number of the hatchery Coho are not clipped. Now they are just being thrown back out off Sooke and wasted in terms of utilization by the sport fishing sector. One of DFO’s less helpful or logical policies.

I'm thinking that no one should be in any hurry to keep any Coho this year. They don't appear to be strong numbers this year. The few that are around are bigger, but very few. We just had a record sockeye catch, does anyone really still need more fish? I'd be happy not to kill any this fall if I could.

My rules are release anything thats going to live at this point. If i have a bleeder hatchery i will keep it. But if its healthy its going back home to the river. Has anyone been having any luck? Im heading out in about 20 mins to give it a go for a few hours. Will report back.

-Steve

May not be many cohos around your area right now, but, there was lots further north of you all summer,all the way up to Winter Harbour.........BB

Well if they show and they are plentiful, then keep them if you need them. Not many here yet so better to hold off and wait...like I asked..is anyone really that short of fish at this point that they can't release now and take them later if they show up?

Smiley, your not a bad guy again. Sometimes it just takes someone to point out a different perspective to make you pause and think. What you do afterwards is more important.

Fished today at MC. One wild Coho and not much showing on the screen so I moved to the island (300-400') None stop action from 1000 to 1230 for Coho and feeders.

1 X 10lb Coho hatchery fish and released 6 big wild fish, three of the hook ups were double headers.

The water was so flat and clear you could see if they were hatchery fish from 40 feet away.

Not many other boats around us were hooking up becasue they were all going way to slow. Pick up the pace and fish deep. All the fish were on bait, and any head works.

Also landed 14lb and a 9 lb feeder

At 1230 the bite turned off and we when in at 1300 hrs.

Sunday looks great for Halis or salmon fishing and weather looks good too. So get out there and have some fun.

Let's Go Fishing!
Doug
D&D Fishing Charters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back