Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Adler - does that app you mentioned still work without cel reception? When I fish out of cheanuh, I have no cel reception, so I'm just wondering. Thanks.
I think I'll be buying a plotter/gps before the weekend.

Rockdog, It does... but it takes a bit more time to locate itself for whatever reason. I wouldn't want it for my main unit but good enough for back up. If that is all the budget allows definately pick it up! x10 better than nothing!!

Actually it depends on the smart phone. If your phone has built in GPS then yes the navionics app will work without cell coverage. If your phone does not have built in GPS then you need a cell signal for it to work.

Lots of info on this in the General section.
Search "Ipad on board"
This was covered very recently.

Back to fishing reports.

Tips

Just wondering........how do all you guys run your bait down there in Sooke......one treble etc. in the side and that's it.....or.......do you hang a stinger off the back end as well for the short-biters?

There's a good video on youtube shows how a guy runs a hook out right through the tail on a cutplug to get the shorties... even cuts the tailfin mostly off to get abetter roll....

I imagine this could be adapted very easily to a bait in a head.......using a treble in the side and a stinger outback......

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys... My son is Zach has been glued to this forum all the time and I just wanted to say thanks for all the advice he gets off of here. He also plays high level baseball and when the season finally ended, we had to get out a few days before school started up.We recently sold our little hardtop Lifetimer, and were just out this weekend in Andy's Lucky Rentals boat and had a nice weekend.

Profisher that must have been you talking to my son at the cleaning station. It's nice of the guys who've been around for awhile to say a few kind words to the kids who like fishing.

He's been a fishing nut since he was about 3 years old and he's now 15. I actually never owned a rod before he was born. He has me hooked now and we've spent many 100's of hours on the lakes, and rivers. He listens well and we caught and landed 4 springs on Monday and 2 on Tuesday. We also released a few wild coho. The highlight was the last fish at around 4pm, a 28-pound spring

Here's a couple of pics from over the years. The one with Roy was in '06 when he was 9. The other pic was in '03 when he was 6, standing next to a 26 lber.

Thanks to all you guys for the generous info.

Ken.

Attachments

• Zachs big Salmon.JPG
    Zachs big Salmon.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 140
  • Zach & Roy with Tyee.jpg
    Zach & Roy with Tyee.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG-20120904-00164.jpg
    IMG-20120904-00164.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 141
Saw you guys out there. Well done. Better then we did. My dad got me into fishing. But he was very select in the fishing he did. Now Ive got him using a fly rod and fishing for trout from a boat.

-KK

Fishing Dad, thanks for a memorable 1st post. Fishing with your children forms a special bond, something you’ll cherish for years to come…

UH OH, Did Fisherdad just call Wolfie Profisher... (had to re read that.. I see that was a half dozen years ago)

its-about-to-get-real.jpg

You guys did good out there. Good job Guys

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure Roy gets mistaken for someone else all the time. ;)

YES that was a great day with you and Zach if i remember right that was a 38 lber and still have that pic of him on my website to stay on forever!!! as it was such a great day that time with you and your son.

I only get mistaken for the 3 other hourstons out there.LOL

Fantastic hot calm day again today so was forced to go out again. :DJust me and my better half for a relaxing day on the water. Started late at 10:30 am and stayed round Possession, the Bluffs and Secretary till 5:00pm. Got a couple of hatchery coho in the regular chinook spots close in. One on anchovy and one on army truck hootch. Got a few more hits all at 80-90 feet, some of which were contacted but got off. Were probably all coho.

Later in the afternoon went waay out to 400 water but only got wild coho out there so came home. Wilds out in the deep, hatchery fish close in...go figure!!

Englishman........glad you had some memorable moments lately....

Was wondering how you rig your bait.......one treble in the side? or an added stinger as well.....I figure you'd get more hookups if you ran a stinger also......just my two cents......

fished race rock area for hali got one 50 pounder and saw 4 more come in at the dock. Took one hell of a wave from a big freighter. **** ever where in the boat. He went by within a hundered yards. Could see this wall of water comin at us... Oh **** hang on..took it broad side. Back out for more tomorrow

YES that was a great day with you and Zach if i remember right that was a 38 lber and still have that pic of him on my website to stay on forever!!! as it was such a great day that time with you and your son.

I only get mistaken for the 3 other hourstons out there.LOL

# I counted 8... 23/26 footers the other day.. older ones mind you. They are everywhere

Englishman........glad you had some memorable moments lately....

Was wondering how you rig your bait.......one treble in the side? or an added stinger as well.....I figure you'd get more hookups if you ran a stinger also......just my two cents......
Seafever,
Saw your earlier post and meant to reply. I put a single treble in the side but close to the tail. Judging from what I have observed of the other forum members I have fished with to date, most guys on here do that. However, one guy ran a stinger and one guy ran two trebles but he was using 8 pack anchovies (the BIG bait), so that makes sense in that case.
No doubt other forum member will jump in on this but topic deserves a new thread to keep this one for fish reports......

# I counted 8... 23/26 footers the other day.. older ones mind you. They are everywhere

Favorite Daughter and Happy hooker......... There..... I named the other two :D

They are special.

Back