Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

I'm sure Roy gets mistaken for someone else all the time. ;)

No, I wouldn't forget Roy. He was 'coaching' me with that 38lb'er back in '06. Ever since then, I never watch the fish, just the rod tip. He was 'coaching' me so well that I don't think i looked at the fish till he was in the boat.

I may have mistaken Profisher for someone (the guy in the sweet Profisher boat with the twin 225 Yamahas), but I wouldn't confuse him with Roy.:)

That is The guy named "tiger prawn"on this forum and yes he has a very sweet ride (proline) and he is one great guy.... we have a lot of fun on the docks after trips ....drinking a pop... LOL LOL

As for a report got 2 yesterday nothing big 17,13 lost 2 more noticed more sealoins around??? dont know what that means??

Wolf

Sealions mean fall is coming, coho and chum and the odd pelican flying through as well.

Forgot about that one Gypseas..

We get pelicans up here? I've never seen one of those

Yep, a few every fall on their way south. I've even seen a single sea otter cruising off the bluffs heading east...and confirmed by Tom the original "Sonar" whale watching operator.

Had a small group of Porposes 5 feet beside the boat a couple of days back out in front of Sooke. Did not even know they were there until they came up made a big splash and startled me. It was like they were playing with us.

Had a small group of Porposes 5 feet beside the boat a couple of days back out in front of Sooke. Did not even know they were there until they came up made a big splash and startled me. It was like they were playing with us.

That was really cool wasn't it Rockfish? Never seen them up that close. (I think the official name is Pacific White Sided Dolphin).

If they were black and white they would be Dahl Porpoise and they frequent the waters 2-3 miles plus offshore most of the time but will come in closer on occasion. They will come over to your boat in mass and buzz you for quite some time. Almost like they are wanting you to speed up so they can ride your bow wave.

. They will come over to your boat in mass and buzz you for quite some time. Almost like they are wanting you to speed up so they can ride your bow wave.
We have spotted them running if from the fishing grounds and slowed down to get them on our bow and then speed up to close to 30mph in glassy calm waters and they stayed with us...quite a site.

I've seen a couple of pelicans this time of year on the outer reaches of Pedder Bay.
T2

If they were black and white they would be Dahl Porpoise and they frequent the waters 2-3 miles plus offshore most of the time but will come in closer on occasion. They will come over to your boat in mass and buzz you for quite some time. Almost like they are wanting you to speed up so they can ride your bow wave.

I've seen white sides around here on more than a few occasions.

No, I wouldn't forget Roy. He was 'coaching' me with that 38lb'er back in '06. Ever since then, I never watch the fish, just the rod tip. He was 'coaching' me so well that I don't think i looked at the fish till he was in the boat.

I may have mistaken Profisher for someone (the guy in the sweet Profisher boat with the twin 225 Yamahas), but I wouldn't confuse him with Roy.:)

Hey Fishing Dad It was me tigerprawn. You looked like you were having fun and great fishing. My wife was taking photos all weekend in the salmon classic derby and got some great photos with her new camera. On Monday we took these photos of you and your son off Otter Point. Glad you guys made the trip and rented Andy's boat and had a great time!

Attachments

• DSC_8979.jpg
    DSC_8979.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC_8983.jpg
    DSC_8983.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC_8987.jpg
    DSC_8987.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 170
Awesome day on the water, we picked up 3 hatchery Cohos and a nice spring just west of the hut. Nice line of Hali hunters at the creek today and i know of 1 that was picked up there. Good work. I am out tomorrow and I am going to do a little hunting myself. It is great to see summer is here now,just as our hali and spring fishing is coming to a close.

Nice shots TP (snicker... I called you TP)

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep,tons of marine life pass by our waters, you don't need to visit Marineland :D

Yep,tons of marine life pass by our waters, you don't need to visit Marineland :D

anything is possible, but pacific whitesided are not regularily sighted in this area. They are commom in Georgia Strait and further north . Sorry don't mean to knock others reports , but they were most likely Dalls porpoises.

beemer

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Fishing Dad It was me tigerprawn. You looked like you were having fun and great fishing. My wife was taking photos all weekend in the salmon classic derby and got some great photos with her new camera. On Monday we took these photos of you and your son off Otter Point. Glad you guys made the trip and rented Andy's boat and had a great time!

Hey TP.

Great shots. Zach already downloaded them and put them on facebook.

Thanks alot for doing that and posting them.

Great shots, looks so nice back home right now! I'm missing all the fun :(

anything is possible, but pacific whitesided are not regularily sighted in this area. They are commom in Georgia Strait and further north . Sorry don't mean to knock others reports , but they were most likely Dalls porpoises.

beemer

Just Googled up images of Dalls Porposies and Pacific White sided dolphins. I would put a lot of money on them being the White Sided that Rockfish and I saw. After all, as he said they were only 5 foot from the boat, messing around with us!!

( Cannot mistake the Dalls, the images almost look like mini-orcas they are so "black and white". These were not those!!)

Back