Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

YEP and they were at it again today must admit awsome SHOW breeching and yes fishing was bad!!!!!
tommorow hopefully better.....
Thanks for the report Wolf
Gota respect one of Sookes top guides who post good and BAD days....we had no springs today.
How's "Fishflyguy" doing these days...has he just quit posting?

He still posts.... Might not be under FFG though ;)

And no puter service where he is right now(waiting for me to get up to renny tomorrow)

Out to Otter around 10 am. Rewarded with a15 lb. Spring, a few shakers and a 10 lb approx. wild Coho which we released and a few long releases. Nice coho. First spring in a couple of months. Hopefully the stink is gone. Killer whale breaching near point and humpbacks further out. Made for a wonderful day for m brother-in-law from the lower mainland.

From what I have observed over the years...if an Orca breaches repeatedly in one spot it is signalling the others that it has found a school of springs. Havewitnessed this at the trap one morning. We were hammering them off the reef between the Trap and O'brien...obviously lots of fish were stacked in there. The whales came casually down from the Island right in tight to shore. As the lead whales approached where the fish were this whale began jumping clear out and landing on its side. To me I read excitement..just as I was when the fish began to bite and it was obvious to me there were lots of fish there. They don't have a cell phone to call in their buds...so do what you can I guess. I was getting the message...hey guys right here!!!

102_0430.jpg

Another one by my number 1 fishing partner. All by himself of course. He's really loving life right now.

Very nice rockdog--he's hooked! I went out for a few hours from 11-2 --lots of coho but couldn't find a spring big
enough to keep.
T2

Thanks T, I couldn't find a spring either. Trolled from 7 till about 1230 in close at beachy and the trap looking for a spring. Then decided to head out and try for some coho as the boy was starting to get ansy. Ended up releasing 4 or 5 wilds before finding 2 hatchery. Left the water at 430. Long day, but the weather was just awesome, so we didn't want to leave.
My son brought both of our hatches to the boat, I could only find wilds! Lol

Has anyone recived one of these emails from DFO in the past? or today? ( see email cut and pasted below )
Im MORE than kinda pissed about the way DFO is managing the Halibut fishery, closed September 9th, commercial getting such a huge percentage of the fish, limit dropped to 1 ect.. that im contemplating not giving them any info back on this request.
any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
Rich
31 August 2012

Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) is responsible for estimating recreational fishing catch. To estimate recreational catch in tidal waters, DFO is conducting an online survey of tidal water licence holders. You have been selected to provide information on your fishing activity during the month of September 2012. It is important that you provide accurate and complete information when filling out the survey. If you do not fish in September, we need that information as well. The survey should take five to ten minutes for most respondents or somewhat longer for more active fishers. Please note that although participation in this survey is voluntary, your participation is vital to DFO’s ability to estimate recreational catch.

EKOS Research Associates, an independent consulting company, has been contracted by DFO to conduct this online survey, including contacting you by email. Your survey responses will remain strictly confidential, and will be protected in accordance with the provisions of the federal Privacy Act.

In a few days, you will receive a second email with the subject “Online Recreational Fishing Survey Details” from EKOS Research Associates. That email will provide details on logging into the survey website, as well as outline what information will be requested on the survey.

Additional information about the survey is available at the following address:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tag-etiquette/onlinesurvey-sondageligne-eng.htm

Should you have further questions or concerns regarding this survey, please do not hesitate to contact:

SportCatchSurvey@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

I did the same routine--long tack tight to the beach then headed out off secretary. As soon as I dropped the gear
below 80 ft I
couldn't keep the coho off. Nice to see them back.
T2

Fished Otter all the way up to the crab traps and back to the trailer park from 6-11 and nothing. Went out to the shipping lanes and picked up 6 nice coho and threw back at least 20 maybe more. Still can't beleive how slow it's been for springs this year all up and down the Island. Would like to know what the predicted run size was at the beginning of the year and what the real numbers were. Are they still on there way, don't think so.

Fished 7-12 out west on saturday.
Lost one good spring at the boat and that was the only fish we saw hooked.

Slow but nice day.

Tips

Way better today got into a few and managed a nice mid 20s and a 15 lber good news is both were super chrome the bigger was a white..... so id say new fish moved in as last week alot were dark and ripe even had one with red belly. couple more days and the tides switch to morning floods which I find better anyways hoping for more good days.
Really hoping my buddy wins the derby with his big fish yesterday!!!!!

Good luck Wolf

lippy you know what to do LOL LOL

Attachments

• SOOKE SALMON 2012 108.jpg
    SOOKE SALMON 2012 108.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 163
Had to work for my fish today. 3 bites, 3 fish. 1 coho small released and 2 spring cookie cutter 15lbers, one was getting black and one was chrome and beautiful. Boy did they put up a fight. Fished 5:50am - 11:30. Got all my fish in the last hour of fishing. Started at Otter, Nothing, then moved to possession.

Short bite off possession yesterday morning, hit three, got one teener!

Good push of fish on the Hiway off Nootka, old mans been killing it. Maybe, just maybe we will see another kick at the cat with some sky water. Very strange season, Ukee never turned on either. Next year right?

did anyone go out after coho today? Any luck? I have a 13 year old visitor id like to take out monday.
T2

Back