Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

What size hooks are you using Steve?
Bigger is better.
I lost a few early this season so moved up to 1/0 summer hooks and they have been hitting hard and well hooked.

Tips

Out in the morning at Possesion, no springs , sockeye coming out my ears, ran me out of bait, foggy and crowded, went to otter at about ten and released some smaller Springs, nice when the fog cleared good day Driller

Possession today with The Rock and fishing was slower than it has been. Got 2 springs early and then mostly sox, coho and lots of pinks. Bait wasn't around like it has been. Wed and Thurs were good mostly due to a good tip from Roy....thanks!! Liking this old school action.

Wed and Thurs were good mostly due to a good tip from Roy....thanks!! Liking this old school action.

Keep dropping the hints boyz...the cat will soon be climbing out of the bag...by the way my new school program still seems to work;)...sammy

The morning was a bit tougher today, landed 2 springs out of 3 (21 & 10 lbs) released a couple socks and kept a bunch of pinks to top up the catch. The passing whales from yesterday may have put the fish off this morning. Nice tide early, expected more to happen.

YES way slower got into 4 but only managed a couple 20 and a 15 guess the days of cookie cutter 25 lber are gone because the fish are a lot smaller this year, but thats ok fish is fish, and ill be honest and im sure rollie will agree with me sometimes the bigger fish people really cant handle... so it nice and easy with these fish around......
AND it looks like we are into FOGUST full time now wow .....

Good luck wolf

Heading out to feed all my bait to the sockeye and pinks, it sounds like. Good luck out there gents! I will be on 68 on and off throughout the day.

Mike

What size hooks are you using Steve?
Bigger is better.
I lost a few early this season so moved up to 1/0 summer hooks and they have been hitting hard and well hooked.

Tips

x2 I always use 2/0 or better yet 1/0 for springs to keep the buggers on the line. The longer you play the fish the bigger the hole gets in the fish, so you need a deep elbow on the hook to keep it from slipping out.

Mike

Out for the morning and got a 12,18,23 lb spring and a few pinks and released a nice 8 lb sockeye! Gorgeous day on the water!

Went to Otter again today. No Chinook again this time (as is very usual for me LOL). Unlike Wednesday, when the pinks were no shows (for me) today they were everywhere. Got them anywhere from 50 to 100 feet on anchovies and on coyote spoons. Released one nice fat sockeye. Fabulous day on the water!

Fished possesison and secretary from 7-12. No springs. One sockeye and lots of pinks. Didn't hit the pinks until around 10:30 out at secretary. Saw one spring caught. Seemed quite slow for the number of boats.

Took out the wife and an alberta friend today. Gorgeous day on the water! Out from 10-3 and had lots of action with pinks and sox. Also got a nice size wild coho. Would have loved to keep a sockeye or 2 but it is what it is. Popped my buddies salmon cherry today. Good ****! Love to see the stoke on a newbies face after their first fish.

Was out off secretary most the day, then worked the inside at possession but no springs. They were hitting everything with most hits around 55 or so.

Oh, Katherine, (my lady) would like me to point out that she brought in the largest pink today. haha. Its was actually a real feisty fish, took 2 runs.

Got in a little trouble trying to snake the cleaning tables at the Sooke Harbour docks. haha, opps! So much nicer than jocks, but I guess I don't moor there so......

Was a great day out there for us and hope all who made it out, had a great time, even if there weren't as many springs around.

Fished Otter and Muir today in the sun with buddy "Calamity Bob". No mishaps with Bob today, he actually caught the most fish, including a 19lb Spring. Finnished with 2 springs, 1 coho and 4 pink & let a few socks go like everyone it seems. Bob's new name is "Bob the Terrorist" as his photo implies

bobtheterrorist19lb.jpg

Decide to go straight to another guides favorite spot this morning and lucky for me I did. Had just a single fellow with me. Had the gear in by 6:30 and limited him on a pair of 21's by 7am. Stayed out till 9 and I took home a 16 and a 10 and lost another. Back out at 1pm so back to the same spot, nothing but pinks and socks for a couple hours then a 23 and a 17 and another lost. The fish were on the bottom and out a bit from the prefer tack, 85 feet of water and 60-70 down. Like everyone else mentioned a beauty day, all day and on a Saturday to boot. A rare event in JDF. Roy as far as big fish go its all cyclaical with some years having very few over 30's and others with decent numbers. Customers have to be happy with whats available, we can't make them bigger than they are. That is their job when telling the stories at home.

Fished the afternoon at Otter. First time out for the year and in the new to me boat. First fish in the boat was a 31.5 lber which wound up being part of a double header as the other rod started bouncing shortly after the first. The girlfriend took the other rod and caught her first spring, about 12 lbs. We finished the day with a couple smaller springs, a pink and a sockeye. 50 - 60 ft . I'm liking the new ride :)
IMGP401575-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
YES definatlly slower got into a lot of fish west as well but only a cope of springs LOTS and I mean LOTS fo pinks but the best day of the year for hot and sunny and a clam day for sure didnt want to come in LOL LOL. as for the smaller fish yes knew about that, these fish are great real scrappy and soooo clean looking love them....

Good luck wolf

Last edited by a moderator:
Back