Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

The Traps probably been one of the most contsistent spots for the last two weeks and is still holding bait and fish. It's funny how alot of the charter guys don't fish the Shack or Head when its been some of the best fishing this year ? Why run West when you don't have too !!

Because they're outfishing the Traps...that's why.

The trap is a zoo(mind, never had a prob with a guy cutting a fish off)..... and you'll find a lot of the same guys hooking up with a mix of guys that hit nothing but the odd one and drive where they want...
I can see the difference of fishing the trap and with the fleet west of Otter, See what your sayin Smiley.

If I was guiding I know where I would want to be.
Trap has been really good to me this year.... as I gnaw on some freshly done smoked spling :p

P.S. I am gunna post another killer boot/slabbage pic just to frustrate Wolfie some more........

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Fins, yeap, that's what my fishing partner said to me last Sunday. Did managed a couple springs and lost a couple and a nice hatchery coho but witnessed profish put on a show.

HS.

"...as I gnaw on some freshly done smoked spling."

Wikapedia: 'Spling'(sp.) A hybrid Pacific Chinook (Spring) salmon crossbred with Pacific Ling cod. First thought to be a freak of nature then discovered to have escaped from Norwegian fish-farms on the Pacific coast of Canada in the early 1990's. These voracious and highly aggressive fish have been reported in the 8 to 12-ft range and are suspect in snatching at least 4 people from wharves in the Sooke area of British Columbia.

"...as I gnaw on some freshly done smoked spling."

Wikapedia: 'Spling'(sp.) A hybrid Pacific Chinook (Spring) salmon crossbred with Pacific Ling cod. First thought to be a freak of nature then discovered to have escaped from Norwegian fish-farms on the Pacific coast of Canada in the early 1990's. These voracious and highly aggressive fish have been reported in the 8 to 12-ft range and are suspect in snatching at least 4 people from wharves in the Sooke area of British Columbia.

He almost grabbed me off the boat.... Got him with the dressing knife. This one wasn't all that big but it did fill two big chiefs

Quick fish with the Birthday Girl, released two nice Springs and several Pinks, shallow at Otter on anchovie, Good day Driller

Marine recreational fishery retention of sockeye to start Wednesday, August 10th. Check with specific Fishery Notices for further details.

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0693
Sent August 9, 2011 at 1141

looks like we might get a crack..... Will keep the guys off the beach for the derby too

I usually keep away from the crowd at The Trap but gave it a shot this morning. It was nice. Only 15 boats. Everyone was catching chunky fish. It didn't seem to matter leader length or depth. My kind of fishing :).
Was done by 8:30am.

Cold and windy out there today - a bit like October! Caught some pinks and released one sockeye S.E. of Secretary first, then tried the Trap for a while later, after "the herd" had thinned out a bit. Still no springs, so either the herd caught 'em all or I'm still not doing something right. My bet is on the latter....LOL

geez Englishman, im starting to feel really bad for ya, its only a matter of time b4 the biggie bites yer line, what have you been using for gear?, any plugs or spoons?....holmes*

Holmes, not using any spoons or plugs right now (did catch a couple of winters on a coyote spoon some months back). My understanding of what everyone does in the Sooke area in the summer is anchovies in teaser heads. So I persist with that - 6 feet leaders behind various flashers at various depths, seeking that elusive magic roll! (By luck I must have got it right twice, but just twice, in two summers. Or they were just two very dumb Chinook....LOL)

Holmes, perhaps you are right. There is a thread on here about the old Krippled K spoons. Found an old (unused) one in the bottom of my tackle box - must be well over 20 years old judging by the price sticker. I'm going to give that a try. After all, I can't do much worse......LOL

Englishman, having no knowledge of where to fish in Sooke with no sounder, no chart, and no sfbc my first time there about 10 years ago, I went out to the 2nd or 3rd tide line and got some pinks, cohoes and a 20lb spring on red hootchies. The roll is probably your downfall, and with spoons or rubber, you can chuck it in and fish without the urge to check your bait every 5 minutes. On the other hand, if you keep at it, the springs will come on anchovies.

Holmes, not using any spoons or plugs right now (did catch a couple of winters on a coyote spoon some months back). My understanding of what everyone does in the Sooke area in the summer is anchovies in teaser heads. So I persist with that - 6 feet leaders behind various flashers at various depths, seeking that elusive magic roll! (By luck I must have got it right twice, but just twice, in two summers. Or they were just two very dumb Chinook....LOL)

Hey Englishman , you may want to try different leader lengths. Six feet seems awfully long for this time of year. Try spoons and hoochies on 30 inch leaders and forget the bait until you are consistently boating springs. my two pences good luck.

beemer

Another good day 5 springs to the boat for a short trip Englishman if you see me out there say hi and ill help you out NOT on this forum LOL LOL
ill tell you depth and what im using to try and help you out as this pains me to see you not getting them and BTW my center rod is plastics or spoons and yes have gotten them on it.see you out there

good luck Wolf

Hey Englishman , you may want to try different leader lengths. Six feet seems awfully long for this time of year. Try spoons and hoochies on 30 inch leaders and forget the bait until you are consistently boating springs. my two pences good luck.

beemer

Thanks Beemer and Tubber,
The people on this forum have been really great and I have received quite a bit of advice. The way I am fishing now has come about by synthesing a bunch of information from different quarters and trying to put it into practice. Maybe I am just misunderstanding - I don't know. I did try a bunch of hootchies and spoons last year summer and got zero Chinook on them. Sockeye yes, and pinks this year yes, but never Chinook. (winter Chinooks are a different matter - they almost behave like a different species and I did get a couple of those on spoons). Summer Chinook are very elusive and my only two successes so far this year were on anchovies. I'll try shortening the leaders a bit and see if that makes any difference.

Another good day 5 springs to the boat for a short trip Englishman if you see me out there say hi and ill help you out NOT on this forum LOL LOL
ill tell you depth and what im using to try and help you out as this pains me to see you not getting them and BTW my center rod is plastics or spoons and yes have gotten them on it.see you out there

good luck Wolf

Thanks a lot Wolf. I'll give you a wave if I see you. (I am definately gonna try my ancient Krippled K spoon now......LOL). May have to get more plastics though. Only got a couple of those.....
Englishman

Had a blast yesterday again. First five minutes in had a double header of springs. 125' and 55' depths. Lost another spring at the boat, broke the leader! Need to check the leaders more often. The three of us also limited out on hatchery coho. All around 6-7 pounds. It was awesome, not one wild one landed. Was limited out by 10:30am. The rest of the fish were pinks and released two sockeye.

Today was a little slower for us but we still still managed a 16lb spring and a whack of pinks. No coho today. Looking foward to catching some sockeye tomorrow!

Thanks Beemer,
The people on this forum have been really great and I have received quite a bit of advice. The way I am fishing now has come about by synthesing a bunch of information from different quarters and trying to put it into practice. Maybe I am just misunderstanding - I don't know. I did try a bunch of hootchies and spoons last year summer and got zero Chinook on them. Sockeye yes, and pinks this year yes, but never Chinook. (winter Chinooks are a different matter - they almost behave like a different species and I did get a couple of those on spoons). Summer Chinook are very elusive and my only two successes so far this year were on anchovies. I'll try shortening the leaders a bit and see if that makes any difference.

Hey Englishman, I'll echo your comments about the great advice on here. I'm just starting out, this is my first year and I've only been out twice, but I'm planning on going out again tomorrow and questions about leader lengths and tackle abound. I'm going to follow the advice given above as I fear I won't be able to get the anchovy or herring role right, and I'll stick with a shorter leader! Thanks to all, I'll let you know how it goes.

Back