Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Hey sammy: Next time you or anyone else get's spiked by a keeper rockfish, take your knife and jab it in the eye. The fluid stops the sting and prevents infection. I know it's gross but it works like a hot dam.;) eman

Ya,I thought about that but the knife was rusty so i pissed on it:rolleyes: SS...

ps. eman #999 1 more will be a milestone ;) :) cheers SS

Last edited by a moderator:
EM,we x paths off Secr. I waved & held up the ling we caught...my son was on back deck & my wife in the front...your partner S looked & gave us the thumbs up...remember details,details is what makes a good fisherman well maybe that & luck ;)Hey u were in the gen. area ,tide lines hold the fish!...start on the 1st/2nd/3rd 250-600'...not all Coho are shallow in recent years i've found them as deep as 180'...once you locate the school stick,stay & make it pay!We all have our favs a mix of plastics/spoons/baits are a good start.Go fast,go slow, make sudden turns ...suerte sammy

Sorry I missed you Sammyslabber. My excuse is we were busy with some friends on board and so my attention was elsewhere. Thanks for the tips. We did try plastic and spoons but even the shakers refused those!! LOL. All our (very little) Cohos were on anchovies. Maybe I can get some attention on artificials in October/winter. I can't seem to make those work in the summer (in Sooke anyway) 'cept for Pinks and Socks of course. Talking of making sudden turns....yesterday we were making a turn and then the tide seemed to get us and shove us even further sideways and the prop went right through the downrigger braid. First time that has happened. Suppose I need longer downrigger booms or forget "sudden turns'.......LOL

Well this weekend was good for my boat got into 2 chum and 3 pinks yesterday off of possesion, mystery hit thinking it was a spring but didnt last long enough for me to find out , today 2 hatch coho 2 chum and 1 pink and then a nice spring just under 38 lbs will post pic later all in 70 ft of water west.

Wolf

4 springs today up to 23 pounds, all reds. Only able to find 1 hatchery coho about 7-8 pounds and released 3 or 4 nice wild ones, also kept 2 pinks...springs and coho in 275 to 300 feet of water off the bluffs.

Fished out of pedder around church/whirl/Beecher Bay and out on the tidelines today. One 8lb Chum, and some micro shakers. Heard of a few coho caught off beechey head 70 ft down and 350 ft water mid-morning. Most boats split at noon. At Pedder on the docks, the old timers said it had been dead at the fish cleaning table.

Good to hear it was producing still further west. I figured the killer whales would be down there.

Well here is the pic and YES still cant figure out how to make bigger so lippy make it so!!!!!!!1 LOL LOL

Attachments

• SOOKE SALMON 2011 152.jpg
    SOOKE SALMON 2011 152.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 273
attachment.php

:D:D

Heck of a fish wolfie!

Well here is the pic and YES still cant figure out how to make bigger so lippy make it so!!!!!!!1 LOL LOL

Nice,Bigger!!! She should've held it closer to the camera,that fish is kinda built like me...no need for trumped up Trip Advisor reviews for Wolf...Cheers sammy

ps. you could use some practice on the cropping you cut the last client out,otherwise it's a nice shot.
Seeing as Rollie likes to hang around the dock maybe he can take some pics with you & the clients;)

x2 on Coho derby, Im in and have a few others interested! Lets get this going boys! THey are starting to show up we dont want to miss the boat and have them all enter the river :p

-Steve

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM sounds like fun hopefully I should be back for it leave on Sat for my moose hunt last last day of summer tommorow :( damn where did that GO!!!!!!!!!!
And yes that Big fish the other day was one of the better fights ive had in a long time it just stayed deep and pulled funny how its the people who have never been salmon fishing before who gets the "big ones"LOL
Just want to say to all sooke guys hopefully it was a good summer for all of you till next year....

Wolf

Very Nice Fish and alot of very happy People...
Good to see that they are still out there...

Old S.D.

Fished Bluffs, SW of Otter and Otter itself today. Fish rather few and far between but the Cohos were bigger than Saturday. Released two wildies and kept one hatch, all around 6 lbs. Also got an 11 lb Chum at Otter. In the brine now and smokin' tomorrow!! :cool:
English

Is happening the 1st Annual Thanksgiving Coho Derby in Sooke on Saturday, October 8 from dawn to 2:00 p.m. weigh-in will be at the Crab Shack located at Jock's Dock starting at 10:00 a.m. with final weigh-in at 2:00 p.m. at which time the winner will be announced. This derby is a winner take all event. Tickets are $30 per rod with $20 going to the winner take all pot the rest going to the Charters Creek Salmon Habitat Restoration. Also the derby will be taking donation of non-perishable items for the local Sooke Community Food Bank as well their will be a draw prize for anglers who donate a fish to the food bank. Their will be a number of hidden weight prizes and Kids cash prize for biggest Coho for a kid 15 and under. Should be a good time and with the chance of catching a wild Coho makes for a good time. For tickets contact the Crab Shack 250-642-4410, Eagle-Eye in Sooke and Island Outfitters in Victoria.

Then the following week Saturday, October 8 its the first annual Sooke Thanksgiving Coho Derby on October 8 this will be a 1 day winner take all event with cash prizes for the biggest Coho, the biggest Coho for a kid, hidden weight prizes as well as a draw prize for fish donated to the Sooke Food Bank. This derby is a non profit event with a portion of the take going to Charters Creek Salmon Habitat Restoration and the local Sooke Community Food Bank. Fising starts at day break with final weigh-in at 2:00 p.m. Should be a good time and for a good cause and tickets which are $30 per rod will be available Wednesday at the Crab Shack at Jocks Dock and Eagle-Eye next to the Sooke Post Office and Island Outfitters in Victoria.

Is happening the 1st Annual Thanksgiving Coho Derby in Sooke on Saturday, October 8 from dawn to 2:00 p.m. weigh-in will be at the Crab Shack located at Jock's Dock starting at 10:00 a.m. with final weigh-in at 2:00 p.m. at which time the winner will be announced. This derby is a winner take all event. Tickets are $30 per rod with $20 going to the winner take all pot the rest going to the Charters Creek Salmon Habitat Restoration. Also the derby will be taking donation of non-perishable items for the local Sooke Community Food Bank as well their will be a draw prize for anglers who donate a fish to the food bank. Their will be a number of hidden weight prizes and Kids cash prize for biggest Coho for a kid 15 and under. Should be a good time and with the chance of catching a wild Coho makes for a good time. For tickets contact the Crab Shack 250-642-4410, Eagle-Eye in Sooke and Island Outfitters in Victoria.

Fished Possesion for about 2 hrs yesterday morning and didn't see much, so headed out to about 550 ft of water. Played 1 good fish and it threw the hook and 1 other hit. Maybe some rain will push some coho down.

Back