Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Besides a beauty of a day to be out in das boot...lots of small grilse of diff speices that i must say bods well for the future!...feeder nookies,a few wild ho's & yes still some pinkies (yawn) Big rock-bluffs then trolled out to 580' got down to 180' to clean the rust off ;-)_ 2 springs were landed in the am 50-65' (same area).There's the report...cheers sammy

ps: I believe they were reds

Last edited by a moderator:
because your mine I hold the line!

Hay all, I'm a first time poster but have enjoyed reading the forums for some time.I have a question. Recently I had my reel spooled at Fitters and they used a lime green 30#mono line and since then that rod has gone dead. Nothing else has changed on that side which was previously productive.Any thoughts? Thanks.

Don't buy your gear @ Outfitters!;)

That lime green line rules....... You can drag that on a flasher without a swivel all day and it wont twist (exaggerating) and has little memory...
One of the better lines I have used.(not exaggerating)

It might have more to do with a majority of the fish have moved on(recently) than the line. ;)

If you need to get rid of it contact GLG on the forum and I'll buy it off him.... still got that leg oil kickin around somewhere
2.gif

Got 2 yesterday nothing big teeners . as for the line its all I use for the last 10 years trust me its not the line

Hi Fins,been doing a few land based outings,took in the World of Outlaws race @ Skadgit last weekend...I've been lurking on/off to keep up with my bro's on SFBC... thanx everythings aok otherwise...cheers sammy.

Friday AM Whirl-Church-Beechey Head

I got out before sunrise and fished through to noon on Friday hoping for some big chinook for a visiting friend. One shaker in first five minutes between Aldridge and Church, one decent pulling chinook lost off the trailing hook around 7AM, then nothing. No bite the rest of the morning. I did not see any nets out in other nearby boats the whole morning, but there was a humpback or maybe a grey whale crusing around the Beechey head side for quite awhile. Perhaps there had been some orcas still following that whale scaring away the salmon. The only salmon I saw on the fishfinder were in the bottom 50 feet when we were running in 280 ft to 450ft. Nothing close to shore.

My starter decided to crap out, so hopefully by the time I get that fixed, there might be some remnants of big chinnook still passing through.

Going to be out a lot this week after a full week off the water. Hope there still are some fish to be had. Sounds like it has slowed down since the long weekend.

Thanks Boomer, was hoping there were a few of those still around. Was out at the boat yesterday for a bit of a clean up and to fix a couple minor things needing attention. Looking forward to getting back at it for a stint.

Yep got a nice 27 lb pure white beauty fish clean and silver up west bit of a rough day with that se even got a few pinks and had to let a coho go that doubt will make it, as he was hooked on the outside jaw and was bleeding but hey i dont make the rules fricken hate doing that but have no choice.....

Fishing has been pretty good this year. Espeically up in Renfrew, but I have done well in sooke as well. My favorite spots are Beechy Head and Otter Point. Later I have done well at Otter point. But you have to put in your time for sure. I got a 20lber Red on Sunday, at 25lber the weekend before and the weekend before that a 12lb and 7lb. All red. These were all 8 hour shifts. With the pinks almost done and the Coho's and Whitey's showing up it should be good fishing the next few weeks. Can hardly wait for Oct 1st so we can kept wild Coho. Man crazy rules DFO, crazy rules.

Out for 8 hours today starting at 6:30. Hit a "Jimmy" spring with the first rod in the water..got all 3 in and got into and landed a 23 pound red spring...really ripe female so guessing a Sooke fish. Then heard all 3 pods were coming our way. Sure enough from the beach to about 2 miles out...solid fins. Headed out to try the Coho grounds. Hit nice Coho from 375 out to about 500 feet of water off the light. 40 to 60 feet seemed to be best, tried down deep but zip. Not many shakers until we got back close to shore off Muir around tide change. Finished off with a Pink flurry at Otter Point. Flat clam all day, just the type of day the whales seem so good at fu@#ing up. Oh well the clients wife was happy.

YES even i have to admit great show we had them breeching about 200 yds from us the big male very cool kabbbbbooooommm when he hit the water was able to scratch up a nice whitey and lost another spring and a 10 lb chum... wow early and some pinks still out again today

Out for 8 hours today starting at 6:30. Hit a "Jimmy" spring with the first rod in the water..got all 3 in and got into and landed a 23 pound red spring...really ripe female so guessing a Sooke fish. Then heard all 3 pods were coming our way. Sure enough from the beach to about 2 miles out...solid fins. Headed out to try the Coho grounds. Hit nice Coho from 375 out to about 500 feet of water off the light. 40 to 60 feet seemed to be best, tried down deep but zip. Not many shakers until we got back close to shore off Muir around tide change. Finished off with a Pink flurry at Otter Point. Flat clam all day, just the type of day the whales seem so good at fu@#ing up. Oh well the clients wife was happy.

OK This is a new one on me. "Jimmy" spring???

H.E.H.

Or he missed it

Maybe that fish was the only one Jimmy doesn't own. A "Jack" is a mature 3 year old male. A "jimmy" is a mature 2 year old male. Usually 3 to 5 pounds max. Springs mature from 2 to I would guess over 10 years for those historic 100 pound plus specimens. This one was about 21 inches long maybe 3 1/2 pounds...you can tell by the colour..especially the belly area that they aren't feeders. Opening them up confirms this when you find developed sperm sacks. Out again today for 6 hours, landed 15 1/2 and 8 1/2 pound springs...lost another good one. Both red, the larger a very unripe female, the other a "Jack" Spent an hour on a quick tack out and back looking for Coho but no takers.

Just to ad.... that fish was an important catch as it lead to the 23 pounder about 20 minutes later. I knew it wasn't a feeder once I had it alongside. Being a mature spring, even if it was very small told me that that the depth it came from should be a fishy depth. He would be tagging along with his bigger kin. The 23 came from the same depth.

Back