Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

try just using a dummy flasher attached to the cannonball and then you can attach your spoon or plug or hotchie rite to the mainline then when the fish hits all you have to deal with is the rod and the fish, simple, no need to worry about leader lengths.....holmes*

Spoon, plug, anchovy would work but I would think the hootchie is just going to be dragged along devoid of action as it gets it's side to side movement from the flasher and some salmon species like a lot of movement, hence the recommendations for shorter leader length from the flasher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish the socks were open this morning..the first 2 fish of the day a double....both 10 pound plus males. I guess a late opening is better than no opening.

a little pink hoochie with a glow bulbous tip. Saw one of the old guys at Cheenuh rigging one up as soon as the sockeye were announced. Should have asked him but does anyone know what this is??
thanks

Englishman,
You're killing me !!

I'm off this week.
If you, or anyone else for that matter wants to head out on your rig Thursday or Friday am I'll show you what little I've picked up. I'll pay share of gas, launch, bait etc etc', bring me own sh#t and contribute my fair share of B.S. Or ,
if you want to come in my sled., " The shittiest ride out there", not a problem. Drop me a line.
My freezers full. Its all fun and games from here on in. :)

a little pink hoochie with a glow bulbous tip. Saw one of the old guys at Cheenuh rigging one up as soon as the sockeye were announced. Should have asked him but does anyone know what this is??
thanks

MBG183.jpg

We call them "pink Squirts" we have boxes of these tied up. I buy them from Trotac Marine, buy some large single open shank hooks, we put a barrel swivel into the head of the squirt and attach the open shank hook to it. We tie short leaders with 50-70lb. test. A good large single hooks them well gets into a larger area of meat and holds better.. generally we never use a net on pinks or Soxs.. the 50-70lb. test allows you to swing them right into the boat! and reduces the amount of retieing needed between fish and net tangles... you can get your gear back in the water much faster this way also. If you need to release the fish it easier on your hands to hold 70lb test while using the gaff to quickly twist and pull the hook out with out ever touching the fish. You may loose the odd one from time to time trying to swinging them into the boat.. no biggy, in a few minutes you will have another one on your line ! ....
When there coming up to the side of the boat.. keep the momentum going and swing them into the boat.. if you have an open transom design in the back of your boat... we used to flip them over the back transom wall wich was lower to the water line...

Last edited by a moderator:
Englishman,
You're killing me !!

I'm off this week.
If you, or anyone else for that matter wants to head out on your rig Thursday or Friday am I'll show you what little I've picked up. I'll pay share of gas, launch, bait etc etc', bring me own sh#t and contribute my fair share of B.S. Or ,
if you want to come in my sled., " The shittiest ride out there", not a problem. Drop me a line.
My freezers full. Its all fun and games from here on in. :)

SaltyD - That is a great offer - I PM'ed you.
Thx......English

Well..... mmmm. Hootchies work do work don't always use bait. You just have to find the right color. Hooked a few good springs this year using them. When I got back Sunday there were several guys at the table that had used different hoochies to get there springs. Englishman it takes a wile to start hooking up consistently. That is pretty big offer from Wolf I would take him up on that.

Just a weird question are you running cable or braided line? I know I had a few problems when I started with high voltage on riggers. That's solved now... By the way braided line is losing for me this year all bigger springs seem to like my cable side in favor 2:1.

Smiley66

Smiley66,
Well when I changed the old cables out on the boat I bought last year I went one cable , one braid, based on somewhat conflicting advice I received. Braid users are very enthusiastic about the thin diameter and resilience of braid so I felt I should try it. However, I was reluctant to give up on the voltage issue that other guys say is important. I checked my "natural" voltage on the cable and it is about 0.3V, so I don't think I am "hot" or anything. I also have one of those Black Boxes and cranked the voltage up to 0.65V once or twice, like the book says to do for springs, but it did not make any difference. However, for me, as my sample size for summer Chinooks is only 2 my stats are invalid! LOL For pinks and sockeye, which I can catch, I see no difference between braid and cable side.

Hey everyone knew to the thread here, we are planning on comming over to sooke for fishing fri,sat but have never been there , we have a small 16" alum with a twenty Hp , has low freeboard on the back was wondering if this boat is suitable for any of these fishing grounds boat is equipped with down riggers and fish finder any info would be greatfully received , more of a lake 16 foot alum

I checked my "natural" voltage on the cable and it is about 0.3V, so I don't think I am "hot" or anything.

No but you are cold... plastic or metal lead clips?

No but you are cold... plastic or metal lead clips?

Re cold, yes, someone else has mentioned that. That was reading I think from last year, so I am going to check it again...
Plastic Scotty clip crimped to wire, then rubber snubber to that, then metal clip on snubber to lead.
Thx
English

The pattern for the last week or so has been windy, no fog.Light wind and fog or lots of wind and fog , be out there friday early to see what it does... hoping for the best Driller

Bit slower today got a few in the am then a few in the sfternoon. whales put on quite a show today along the whole beach. Last I heard talking to one of the whale watching guides was all of them have met up and turned the corner heading up the inside .

If you want to take a kid out now is the time there are pinks out on the tide lines and lots of them.

good luck Wolf

Re cold, yes, someone else has mentioned that. That was reading I think from last year, so I am going to check it again...
Plastic Scotty clip crimped to wire, then rubber snubber to that, then metal clip on snubber to lead.
Thx
English

You need a couple brass clips before rubber snubber this will help, trotac has the brass clips.good luck boomer(talk to paul ,you need big stainless swivel then two brass clip ,rubber snubber there blue that it good luck boomer

I have found that metal clips will make it colder.. Try with out the snubber. How much zinc is on the boat?

Back