SOOKE Reports, Fall/Winter 2010/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was out the other day for a couple hours after work off of sooke. I was the only boat i could see from Possesion to OtterPt. I was going for winters which i had no luck on but managed a double header of fat Coho one wild one hatch at 200ft dragging bottom.

I ended up going out today. Didn't try for cohos just fished in the harbour mouth and landed 3 winter springs between 5-10 pounds. A few bites that didn't stick as well. Only 3 other boats out that I saw.

I ended up going out today. Didn't try for cohos just fished in the harbour mouth and landed 3 winter springs between 5-10 pounds. A few bites that didn't stick as well. Only 3 other boats out that I saw.

heard it was slow out of sooke as well, give it a couple of weeks then they should come in numbers found mid nov was best in past...

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

heard it was slow out of sooke as well, give it a couple of weeks then they should come in numbers found mid nov was best in past...

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Its on out there Gents! A good friend was out of Cheanuh and hit 9 winters and a 14 pound late wild Coho. One of the winters hit the scale at 17.8 pounds!!!

Now thats a nice winter! Cant wait for the boat reno's to be over!

-Steve

Thanks some good winter fishing. Thanks for the report.

was he fishing in the bay steve ? i know a few came off the flag by the marina. Fished Sun. in the chanel & out in the bay not much for a 4hr tour altough lucked out @ the end with a full basket of crabs! saludos Sammy

Hit whirl late today for some action, not hot but the ebb was cranking, hit three got one in about 6-7 lbs. Hot crabbing though! Hard to take, playing in two feet of snow yesterday at washington, and fishing in t shirts the next! will post some pics if I can figure it out.

Hey Bro back in da wader?fishn slow but lots a visitas in da crab hut. dat was my Wolf impression LMAO Cheers see ya Sammy

Anyone have any theories as to why the fish were running so deep this year. I know the surface temperature was a few degrees warmer than in past years. My experience has been it usually runs around 49.5 degrees but this year it was up to 52/53 degrees for most of the fishing season. But Coho at 120 feet and deeper for most of the season. Very little above 50 feet. Was it temperature/bait or have the top fish been eliminated over the years?

Anyone have any theories as to why the fish were running deep this year. I know the surface temperature was a few degrees warmer than in past years. My experience has been it usually runs around 49.5 degrees but this year it was up to 52/53 degrees for most of the fishing season. But Coho at 120 feet and deeper for most of the season. Very little above 50 feet. Was it temperature/bait or have the top fish been eliminated over the years?

I may have a theory that coho run deep since recent years...the food source such plankton or bait is on the bottom. Nets were out there somewhere that fish are running deeper by avoid going through the nets. It's too bad I couldn't catch a decent coho in 10 to 25' anymore. In old days in summer, you can cast from shore anywhere far away from rivermouths to catch a prime coho.

Sooke Coho

I may have a theory that coho run deep since recent years...the food source such plankton or bait is on the bottom. Nets were out there somewhere that fish are running deeper by avoid going through the nets. It's too bad I couldn't catch a decent coho in 10 to 25' anymore. In old days in summer, you can cast from shore anywhere far away from rivermouths to catch a prime coho.

My son hooked a big one off Sooke this fall that we had to release. Over 20 lbs, hooked nose to boot. I had head about those "northerns" but had never seen or caught on in all my years fishing. Quite a thrill. Sure hope he survived being caught and released.

the sad thing is I don't think they are running deeper, its just we've wiped a lot of the fish that are genetically are predisposed to run shallower.

All those years of fishing shallow for coho, while the deep running fish make it to the river. Its evolution in action.

If that was true Poppa then we just fish a few years deep and the shallow fish should build up again. Well, I guess we would have to ask the commercials to follow suit as well. But I am still struggling with this theory...

Hey its just a theory but it makes sense if the deep running fish make up the majority of the fish on the spawning beds, then whatever piece of genetic code that made them run deep is passed on.

I've talked to a couple of guides from river's inlet who were saying the same thing, fishing deeper then years past and came to the same conclusion. It makes sense in my mind, but its just a theory.

A few shots from the past few days.

DSCF1987.jpg

A few fish and crab, kept just 8
DSCF2005.jpg

A fatty for November
DSCF2003.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back