SOOKE Reports, Fall/Winter 2010/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of nice fish still out there, got a 17.5 and 12lb Coho today and a 15 lb Chum yesterday and a few a little smaller. Hot lures at the moment are anchovies and glow army truck hootchies. Did not fish the green and glow spoon today although it has been hot for Coho for the last month. The chums seem to prefer the army truck and bait, and a slower troll which does not seem to keep the Coho from biting.

Last day of halibut season today...got a chicken right off the bat west of the harbour mouth. Quick end to the day when fishing solo, probably should have tossed it back to wait for bigger one, but there you have it.

Caught a 10 lb coho trolling home -- at 120 feet in 350 feet of water, white hootchie. That was my only bite, and I didn't see any other fish caught.

Quite a few boats out, probably a dozen at anchor for halibut, rest chasing coho I guess.

I think that's it for my season, it has been a fun one!

Here's a video I just finished of an October coho fishing day (it's in Renfrew, but could just as easily be Sooke...fishing was equally good in both spots in early Oct)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKr5RrBe7I4

http://fishingportrenfrew.ca
http://fishingsooke.ca
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/juandesooka

Well Gents, there are still some hogs out there. Nailed a 17 pound wild Coho and lost another nice one this morning off the head. Green glow hootchie 114ft on the rigger.

-Steve

Had a disastrous day today. Managed to lose a rod and reel out of the boat while trailering along the Sooke Road in Sassenos. Rod fell out of the boat somewhere between Save-On-Gas and 17 Mile pub. Back tracked to have a look but could not locate. If anyone sees a brown 10 foot rod with a black Abu Diplomat reel and green haze flasher let me know! Then managed to lose 3 feeder Chinook at the net and another much larger fish that went on a couple of 30 yard runs before it popped the leader. Beautiful flat calm on the water, but can’t help feeling today was ill-fated.

Everyone has days like that. Sounds like you had a large Coho or Chum on, both are great fighters. Not sure if your fish got off the hook or broke the leader. Earlier this year we lost 3 big Chinook when they broke off. With big salmon the leader is not long enough to stretch and absorb shock against the flasher as the main line does. One of the guides told me they were using 45lb leader so I moved up to 48 lb leader and have not had anymore break offs. The heavy leader is not reducing the number of hook-ups either.

I had some big chinooks broke off my 40 lb leaders...I was told some large older mature chinooks have many sharp teeth such like a saw , they bite the lure or bait, also their teeth cut the leaders off..they were gone! It is all about fishing, win or loose!

I usually use 30 lb leaders. Bringing in chinooks with 30 lb leaders are fine. lighter and thinner line are better due to tying knots easier. I assume guides like using 48 lb lines so they don't want their guests losing the fish I assume.

quote:Originally posted by fishspoon

I had some big chinooks broke off my 40 lb leaders...I was told some large older mature chinooks have many sharp teeth such like a saw , they bite the lure or bait, also their teeth cut the leaders off..they were gone! It is all about fishing, win or loose!

I usually use 30 lb leaders. Bringing in chinooks with 30 lb leaders are fine. lighter and thinner line are better due to tying knots easier. I assume guides like using 48 lb lines so they don't want their guests losing the fish I assume.

We caught 3 over 30lbs in Sooke this year and 2 were on 30lb leader but we also lost 3 in the mid/upper 20’s or low 30’ to break offs with the 30lb leader before we went heavier. I think you are correct on the teeth sawing issue. I now check my teaser leader after every good fight and often there are teeth abrasions so I swap it out. When you have teeth sawed weakened line and a big ones toques it against the flasher, that’s when it breaks. You can feel how much torque there is when the flasher breaks the surface (no longer sideways) and the fish loses the torque on the flasher and the line goes limp for a second before the main line picks up the slack. I am not a guide, but do sometimes fish with those less experienced and use an old spool of commercial German Triple Fish 48 lb line for leader as it is very strong, but also hard, (abrasion/teeth resistant ). It is also less likely to get cut off on a rigger wire when fishing the Sooke zoo and better if a halibut occasionally hits the salmon chovey. As you say, it is a little harder to tie nice tight knots with, but a little spit or herring oil on the knot for lubricant when you pull it tight solves the problem.

I use 40 pound Big game leader for a few reasons. New lines are much thinner,stronger and less visible than lines of the past. I would say that the 20 pound test of the time when I first started fishing was as thick as todays 40 pound line. I have no problem with tying knots with any of the lines I use, even the 60 pound hali leaders. The 3 main reasons for using the heavier leader in my case are. 1. less fish cut you off, still happens especially later in the summer 2. I'm more likely to be able to use the same leaders the entire day without retying and loosing valuable fishing time...a guide wants the lines in the water as much as possible 3. When or if the 60 pound plus once in a lifetime spring does hit my gear I'm ready for it.

We use 40 and 50lb. test leaders.. Exactly the same reasons what pro fisher said. Years ago when I was younger and learning how to fish for springs I had a friend "Glen" he used to be a guide from Pedder bay, one season he fished with me on my boat and he used to use 60lb. test leadears.. at the time I was used to using 25lb. test leaders.. seeing him use the 60lb. test leaders blew my mind! He looks over to me and said "its the diffrence in landing a hog in the net than having it snap off!" I never forget those words he told me.

Thanks for all the tips and information about leaders guys - Rockfish, Fishspoon, Profisher and TheRock. My 30lb leader did break close to the hook and looked abraded and/or worn through, probably from teeth as has been suggested. However, the spool of 30lb line I was using for leader material is a few years old so this beginner has bought some new 30lb and 40lb leader material and I will try them out. The implication of your discussion is the best chance of landing one of these toothy guys is if the hook is right in the edge of the mouth/jaw. If even half an inch of line is inside the mouth due to deeper hooking, it is likely going to be abraded/chewed through. Does anyone ever use wire for leaders, or will the action of the lure/bait be inhibited?

No never wire. But 40 pound Seagar Flourocarbon is danm near like steel. I started using it last year and havent broken a fish off yet.

-Steve

E.M just check em after every fish run your fingers up & down the leader paying close attention to hook & lure area you will be able to feel any nicks or other noticable problems with your leader. i've caught springs as big as 65lbs. on 25lb. leader & had to drag it of a looming kelp bed we were by.a mooching rod todally doubled only exerts about 8lbs.of preasure.using a shorter heavier test leader can take away from the presentation of the bait when in search of that trophy slab.there all sorts of factors you must consider with leader choice depending on the fishing methods you employ ie;cutplugging,downrigger fishing etc.don't be afraid to experiment with new methods just rememember to check your leader often. regards E.M Sammy

It sounds like the knot let go. Its all about having a good sound knot.I have my favorite knot , just go to any fishing tackle store and they will show a few. good knots. Good luck boomer.

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

No never wire. But 40 pound Seagar Flourocarbon is danm near like steel. I started using it last year and havent broken a fish off yet.

-Steve

Use 40lb in-shore -50lb off-shore the best stuff ever:)

quote:Originally posted by Englishman

Thanks for all the tips and information about leaders guys - Rockfish, Fishspoon, Profisher and TheRock. My 30lb leader did break close to the hook and looked abraded and/or worn through, probably from teeth as has been suggested. However, the spool of 30lb line I was using for leader material is a few years old so this beginner has bought some new 30lb and 40lb leader material and I will try them out. The implication of your discussion is the best chance of landing one of these toothy guys is if the hook is right in the edge of the mouth/jaw. If even half an inch of line is inside the mouth due to deeper hooking, it is likely going to be abraded/chewed through. Does anyone ever use wire for leaders, or will the action of the lure/bait be inhibited?

Tuff Line has some new Stainless Steel braid coming out that looks pretty cool- you can tie egg loop & clinch knots with ease and super thin (50lb &100lb):)

It's that time of year boys to check the boat if it's in the marina never fails after the first storm & good soak of rain when i go to the Marina to check our pride & Joy i see someone else's filled to nuts with rain water then sunk.It's crying shame when the tarp whips off the bildge pump fails or can't keep up & worse yet not insured[V][V][V] Sammy

a few every year go down. Lastyear I bailed a guys boat out that was probably withing a gallon or 2 from going right under.

-Steve

quote:Originally posted by The Jackel

quote:Originally posted by Derby

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

-Steve

Use 40lb in-shore -50lb off-shore the best stuff ever:)

Holly shiet derby you fishing for marlin now? ;) What ever happened to the moocher I new so well, 15-20 max :D

><))))">

Well if you are talking cut pluging that a whole different ball of wax- I would probly have a tough time keeping up to you on that front[:p]

Got any animals yet-my freezer is looking kinda bear:)

Nothing for me the past couple go's boats outa the water for the usual end of season clean up. Back at er in a couple weeks for some winter action. They are getting winters out there already. In Beecher bay my buddy got 3 in 4 hours 130 ft deep at the flag poles.

-Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back