Sooke Report -- 2008 season

We got 3 Hali to 43 Lbs for the florida Honeymooners in a few hours and then moved to Church and the Bedfords, Nada. Slow show for Springs. Great Weather and good company...

IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2794.jpg

www.tailspincharters.com

Sounded like a bit of searching today with the odd teener at the trap outside the reef early on the ebb change. Pretty lazy tide today can't complain. Hali are on fire! Two guys dropped the pick on top of me today, they then continued to perfect the anchor from the stern via around the leg tactic, good show!Lucky it was an outboard. Almost a rescue mission in a 2+ Kt East Race Flood... Chopped anchor with the knife and left it all in the deep six....Buggered off right quick with some occasional foul language on flat water, good show! I dragged for it no avail.

www.tailspincharters.com

Howdy,

Tailspin, I feel your pain. I had the exact same thing happen to me back in the early 80's right off Ambleside beach in West Vancouver.

We were cut-plugging at the mouth of the Cap and we kept getting dragged off by the killer strong current. I'd pull the anchor, motor ahead again then re-set it only to repeat the whole affair minutes later. Frustrated, I decided to try dragging the anchor back slowly under power. It worked well at first then suddenly the Dutchman I had with me yelled 'Terry!'... it was too late. The anchor wrapped around the sterndrive of my old 18' Fiberform about 20 times around.

I had no idea just serious the situation was until we quickly became hooked-up solid by the stern in a square-stern boat in a 6-knot current! I was freaked as I dove for my tackle box to get my knife as the first of three 5-foot rollers came over the stern dumping about 100 gallons into us.

Long story short... with Hans holding me by the feet I basically submerged myself as I cut the rope and saved us.

Never came closer to sinking in my life and it all happened on a bright sunny day a couple of hundred yards from shore.

We got one 18.Started at the Trap at about 7 and trolled to Race with the flood.Didn 't see a single fish caught.Ancored at race for about 4 hours-0 Halibut,1 Irishlord,0 DOGGIES.Trolled all the way back and finally picked one up between the trap and seceratary.

Hey Tailspin,it always amazes me how close some other boats will set up to me when fishing. It's a pretty big ocean, no need to crowd. But no fishing for me for several weeks as I had shoulder surgery yesterday. I will have to rely upon the stories and photos of the forum to keep me going[V]

4 hours trolling at Otter and Possession for me...no dice.

Saw a bunch of bait close in at Possession, a nice change from an empty fishfinder, but no hook-ups.

So far, the new-to-me boat is batting Oh-Fer, not counting doggies and rockfish...

But I remain hopeful that my time is coming soon. And until then, plan to fish on other boats. ;)

fishingportrenfrew.ca
fishingsooke.ca

Gerry if fishing was red hot would say lets go fishing and you could steer the boat and use your liscence LOL hope you heal well perfect timing for the big ones in aug!!!!!!

good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

We put in 12 hours today without one bite. We trolled from the Head to Secretary and all the back to Whirl Bay. We only saw three fish caught and two of them looked pretty small. The guy at the marina said there was a steady flow of fish coming in today. [V] Apparently we weren't fishing the right spots.

Highliner
Fish2-2.gif

people should take the time to make the extra trip of an hour or so to Renfrew, was there today, and saw a ton of fish caught at Camper

I fished secretary for 20 mins this morning and got a 24lb ...didnt even put the lines back down..flew to constance and banged a 40lb hali. sorry to brag guys. hope its not bad karma for tomorrow!

Heard your chatter on the vhf yesterday Black Pearl-Sounded like you did alright.
Fished Otter point yesterday.1 solid strike and 1 20lb'er to show for the whole day.Saw a fair number of nets pulled out so people were bringing them in.
Bite seemed to come on around 2pm.Searched the depths until we got action-top 40ft of water! First time for us,we spotted a small school of about ten springs about 5-10 ft deep!
Nice to see so much bait in the water as well.
Hooch

Out this am. Finally got the boat and gear dialed in. Hit a 14 and a 15ibers back at the dock by 7:40 am. Would have liked to stay but gotta play fair! Cheers FC

quote:Originally posted by novicefish

people should take the time to make the extra trip of an hour or so to Renfrew, was there today, and saw a ton of fish caught at Camper

I fish Camper darn near every day in the summer, I would have to say that, at best, it has only a slight edge over Otter/Possesion/Beechy. The exception may be late Aug/early Sept when the San Juan run comes through, but we are talking maybe a 3 week window.

Just my observation having fished them both quite heavily.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com

Back you up on that L.C. ; the grass always looks greener elsewhere , the trouble with Camper Creek now is that everyone goes there you cannot get near the bloody place like you used to!
I have also noticed since the increase in boat traffic in that particular area that the fish are deeper and are pushing further out from the beach , yes you will still hit some in closer but I look at the amount of boats congregated and then move out , fish 15 ft deeper and then troll in and out of the area not parallel to the beach , I take them consistently like that.
Will be there tonight for two days , running to the West of Carmanah Light thence troll back to Bonilla Point and work the 70ft line around Carmanah and Logan.

AL

quote:Originally posted by alley cat

Back you up on that L.C. ; the grass always looks greener elsewhere , the trouble with Camper Creek now is that everyone goes there you cannot get near the bloody place like you used to!
I have also noticed since the increase in boat traffic in that particular area that the fish are deeper and are pushing further out from the beach , yes you will still hit some in closer but I look at the amount of boats congregated and then move out , fish 15 ft deeper and then troll in and out of the area not parallel to the beach , I take them consistently like that.
Will be there tonight for two days , running to the West of Carmanah Light thence troll back to Bonilla Point and work the 70ft line around Carmanah and Logan.

AL

Watch out, the perch and bass are thick there.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com

Back