Chinook Form Letter

wildmanyeah

Crew Member
anyone else get this?

Thank you for your correspondence regarding Chinook conservation measures for 2019.

On April 16, the Government of Canada announced new fisheries management measures to conserve Fraser River Chinook. I am aware that it is a difficult time for coastal communities, and I acknowledge and very much sympathize with your concerns regarding the economic and social impacts resulting from the reduced retention fishing opportunities for Chinook salmon. I have provided a broad overview of the conservation objectives, announced measures, and expected outcomes to further clarify Fisheries and Oceans Canada’s (DFO’s) decision.

In November 2018, the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC) assessed the status of 16 Southern British Columbia (BC) Chinook Designatable Units (DUs). Of these, 13 DUs are Fraser River Chinook: seven are assessed as Endangered, four as Threatened, one as Special Concern and only one was deemed Not at Risk. More details are available on the COSEWIC summary webpage.

In addition, productivity of many of these populations has declined to the point where fewer offspring are returning compared to the parent generation. For example, only 490 natural origin Chinook returned to the Nicola River in 2018 from a parental generation of 7,122 Chinook.

DFO is taking the COSEWIC assessments very seriously and has announced precautionary fishery restrictions intended to provide a high degree of protection to at-risk Fraser Chinook returning in 2019. The management target is to reduce overall Canadian fishery mortalities on these populations to near five percent. The objective is to allow as many fish to pass through to the spawning grounds as possible.

Achieving these conservation objectives is DFO’s highest priority, and DFO has implemented significant actions in commercial troll, recreational and First Nations fisheries in times and areas where at risk Fraser River Chinook may be encountered. Fraser River Chinook return to spawn from early March through August.

A general summary of recreational fisheries management measures for the 2019 fishing season are outlined in the BC sport fishing guide. Information on openings will be posted on the Fishery Notices website.

In summary, DFO has applied an overall reduction in the total annual limit for Chinook that can be retained per person in tidal waters from 30 to 10. Fraser River recreational fisheries will remain closed to salmon fishing until at least August 23. After that date, opportunities for species other than Chinook will be informed by in-season abundance and other conservation issues (Coho, Steelhead, etc.). Reduced fishing opportunities may be provided in tributary areas during times and locations at-risk Chinook stocks would not be encountered. To address increased concerns for Chinook conservation as a result of the Big Bar slide, DFO has introduced additional fisheries management measures to protect Fraser River chinook.

Historically, DFO has made in-season adjustments to management measures, based on the Albion test fishery. The 2019 test fishery is showing the population has declined by more than 50 percent compared to the brood years (2014 and 2015). The current Fraser River Chinook status is showing returns at well below historic levels. Given the very poor status of at-risk stocks, the Department will not use the Albion test fishery information to make in‑season adjustments for 2019.

The Department has received many inquiries about retention of hatchery fish or mark selective fisheries (MSF) and particularly fisheries to target US bound stocks. US and Canadian hatchery-marked Chinook are indistinguishable, and Canadian hatchery-marked fish are needed to help sustain the Chinook populations given very weak wild Chinook returns. As an example, hatchery origin, marked Chinook were a significant proportion of the returns to the Nicola River in 2018. In addition, MSF also has potential impacts on stock assessment programs that rely on coded wire tagged (CWT) populations. Therefore, MSF were not approved as part of fishery measures announced in April 2019. However, the Department held a technical workshop this summer to start setting out a framework for evaluating MSF and mass marking of hatchery origin Chinook to support future decision making.

Conservation and Protection fishery officers are patrolling the Fraser River to ensure compliance with closed times. Fishery officers have been conducting patrols via vessels, helicopter and motor vehicles to conduct both enforcement and education as well as to remove any illegal gear found in the Fraser River and associated waterways. Since the April announcement, these patrols have been increased in frequency and include strategic patrols at varied times of the day and night by uniformed and by plain-clothes officers. The public is encouraged to Observe, Record, and Report any unauthorized activity to 1-800-465-4336.

An assessment of the effectiveness of the 2019 Chinook management measures will be completed in the post-season. In July, the Canadian Science Advisory Secretariat (CSAS) will review the available information to quantify impacts of commercial, recreational and First Nations fisheries on Fraser River Chinook. This review is anticipated to provide a methodology that can be used to assist with assessing the fishery impacts for these stocks in the post-season.

The challenges facing at-risk Fraser River Chinook salmon stocks are multi-faceted. The road to recovery requires a long-term view and the collaboration of First Nations, recreational and commercial harvesters, multiple levels of government and all interested parties. The Department is developing a Southern BC Chinook Planning committee, which will focus on Fraser Chinook issues including mark selective fisheries, hatchery production, and others. The Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB) will be invited to participate in this process. The SFAB represents recreational fishing interests to the DFO on areas of concern to the recreational fishing community. I encourage you to engage with the SFAB in this process. For contact information, please visit the Sport Fishing Advisory Board website.

I appreciate hearing from harvesters about the economic impact of the closures. These decisions are extremely difficult to make. The Department must first and foremost make decisions that protect at-risk stocks to ensure the sustainability of stocks for the future. Second, decisions must respect the priority of, and provide opportunities for, the constitutionally protected food, social and ceremonial Indigenous fisheries.

I hope my response has clearly outlined the severity of the conservation concerns for at-risk populations of Fraser River Chinook. Given the very poor status of Fraser Chinook stocks, and potential impacts from the Big Bar slide, DFO is not planning to relax fisheries management measures or open additional Chinook fisheries for the 2019 season. However, the Department will soon launch a process to engage in conversations, including about MSF, that could impact decisions for 2020.

Yours sincerely,

Andrew Thomson
Regional Director
Fisheries Management Branch
Pacific Region

yeah, I did. I think if we actually all wrote real hand written paper letters, that they would have to respond with real paper letters. It's pretty easy for the government to zip out a blanket email. I've written paper letters before, and eventually got a written reply. Paper letters carry more weight, no doubt about it..

Back