Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Good luck Pops. We were all beginners at one time. If you released lots on your first day out you did a lot better than I did on my first few trips out in my first boat.

h.e.h.

Hello everyone. Just bought my first boat and will be joining you out there. I have fished in the salt a number of times before but hope to do much more now. I hope to keep out of everyones way till I get better but if I mess up please remember when you were first learning. Heading out tomorrow for the second time. last week I went out and released everything I caught. Looking for positive karma for the boat. Had a good day released lots. I will be monitoring the radio and will answer to Papajames. (White Arima with funny looking guy sporting a confused look on his face driving).
Hope to see U out there....Just take your time & have FUN but play it safe....

Hello everyone. Just bought my first boat and will be joining you out there. I have fished in the salt a number of times before but hope to do much more now. I hope to keep out of everyones way till I get better but if I mess up please remember when you were first learning. Heading out tomorrow for the second time. last week I went out and released everything I caught. Looking for positive karma for the boat. Had a good day released lots. I will be monitoring the radio and will answer to Papajames. (White Arima with funny looking guy sporting a confused look on his face driving).

Hey Papa,

I Just got my first boat this year too (also an Arima 17 sr). In April I was in the same position as you. I can tell you that most of the guys here on the forum are awesome and helpful. Just have fun and take your time, you'll be amazed at how quick you pick things up. If you want to compare notes, feel free to PM me. Have fun and listen for me out there too. Right now I am answering to Poet. But once I get the boat re-named it will be Miriah. Have fun and tight lines.

Poet

Heading out tomorrow morning for Ho's. First time this month, what have been the good depths or is most of the water column worth a try?
Gonna try the usual green/pink plastic and metal. Hope i can get a couple clipped fish.

JF

Heading out tomorrow morning for Ho's. First time this month, what have been the good depths or is most of the water column worth a try?
Gonna try the usual green/pink plastic and metal. Hope i can get a couple clipped fish.

JF

when i was out on saturday it didnt seem to really matter - fished from the surface to 80 feet... caught fish at all depths... best depth for me was 55 ft, that being said the surface rod was pretty effective.(and fun!)

out today from 11:00 to 2:30, Secretary 450' water fishing at 110' and 70'. 2 hatch around 8 lbs and 20+ unclipped released. 4 double headers and a fish on every ten minutes. All but 2 on bait. Purdy good day to have a couple off flatlanders onboard and tell them "ya, a bit slow today but should pickup soon I figure..."

Put in another 8 hours chasing halibut on Saturday. This time near Jordan River. Used bait and NOTHING nibbled at it all day. 140-160 ft.

Dropped the pick for hali near otter point yesterday. 170-210 ft. 1 chicken on salmon bellys. Trying again today.... :)

Fished way out off the trap shack this morning from 9-12. Ran into alot of cohos, most were wild but did manage to get 2 clipped and a pink.
a couple of the ones released were around 13-14 lbs awesome fights. Might give er another go tomorrow.

JF

Boat karma worked. fished with a friend from 10 till 2 also off Trap Shack. released many wild and kept a couple clipped. First fish in the boat was a 13 lb clipped. No pinks or Springs. Bait, plastic and metal all worked. highlight was having released a wild about 8 lbs I immediately started letting the line out to get it back on the downrigger and the fish hit it again and we scrapped to the boat. Living up to the name wild coho.

Fished off Secretary yeterday. 8 weight fly rods only 2 with fly line and one spooled with mono off the rigger. 18 coho landed 5 hatcherys. biggest hatch was 9 pounds. All on flies.

-KK

That sounds good Karma.

I heard the coho were also heavy near Billings last weekend. A friend went walking down there and said he saw about a hundred finning and jumping and a few flyfishers working them. Catch and release fun to be had. That rain has them schooling around Sooke for sure.

Many thanks to all who help with the hatchery clipping.

KK try casting your fly rod for these surface biting coho instead of trolling.

More work, fewer fish but what a reward when you get one!

I have tried casting this year and last! Very rewarding as I can only say ive landed one doing that! I prefer to troll as my Dad is with me and hes much more into doing his own thing while I play around! LOL

Out yesterday straight out from 10-3, 4 hatch 'ho's all 11-12 pounds. Released 15 wilds, some beautiful fish. Excellent day out with gf's dad from Winnipeg. Can't wait for next week.
image.jpg
image.jpg

That's a lipripper LOL Looking forward to next week. Many squeak out Sunday morning will see.Just really good tides for halibut right now....

X2 Im planning to drop the pick out west tomorrow... Awesome tides and Hali has been great for us the last two weeks. Big wave Dave is calling 0-5 knots as of now but Enviro Canada says a huge storm is coming with 25-35 Knots. Any thoughts from the hardcore locals??
Might just have to poke my nose out there and check it out.

I was jonesing for hali, and saw the winds were less out near Pedder when I checked last night on both Windfinder and BWD, so I headed that direction. Note that BWD is updating late/not on schedule/nowhere near predictions between #1 and 2. Windfinder is more accurate today. Anyway it was supposed to be rainy and 6-7 knots today on 27 fathom reef, then wind was supposed to pick up 15-25. Nope. There is a big donut hole hanging between Constance, Esquimalt, and Beecher Bay, where the wind has been calm and fairly clear of rain compared to the black clouds and rain we saw over Victoria and the hills along Westshore. I did not get my hali today, but I did get a bit of sunburn/tan on my nose and cheeks today. I'm going again tomorrow morning. Gotta use up the bait.

We are into squall season Nauti..... Watch the horizon tomorrow ;)

Back