Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Fished straight out of sooke again today from about 9 to 11 till the east wind picked up and the tinner wanted to go in. Lots of action, picked up our two wilds and released a bunch more. No hatchery for us today but did get into some nice big northerns. All about 450 feet of water and 80 to 90 feet deep with a fast troll, 3 to 4 knots, lines were sometimes at a 30degree angle with a 12 lb pancake.

Guys, prepare yourself properly for a predominantly catch and release fishery right now and you won't feel so bad releasing unclipped coho. Chose single barbless hooks on plastic or spoons and don't use too large hooks as they tend to sink deep through eyes etc. Use a medium size single siwash and you will barely have a badly wounded fish. Then have some good SS needle nose plyers handy for when you bring the fish beside the boat and identify as wild then grab the hook with your plyers and twist it out. 95% the hook comes out real easy and 4% medium easy. Some prefer the gaff release - that is possible too with single barbless and equally effective. Doing this and you will still enjoy plenty of action and know that pretty much all the fish will survive your handling. Have fun!

Thanks Chris, good tips.

coho

out today off of secratary in about 4-500ft from9am-12 2 wilds about 8 ponds each both caught on green and white hoochy fished at 1oo ft. on rigger one other long distance release on anchovie got a little too rough to fish cmfortabley so called a day....

the wild coho are pretty rambunctious so I started using a knotless net. keeping the fish in the net and suspported in the water settles them right down making it far easier to get the hook out without damage. too many of these wild fish were twisting and thrashing beside the boat and making enough contact to start them bleeding. the knotless release net has solved my problem.

I have been using one for 3 years! Nothing better. I got one so that when I play them on the fly I can scoop them up and not wear them out too much. Works great!

Glad others are switching to knotless mesh!

-Cheers KK

QUOTE=reelfast;316461]the wild coho are pretty rambunctious so I started using a knotless net. keeping the fish in the net and suspported in the water settles them right down making it far easier to get the hook out without damage. too many of these wild fish were twisting and thrashing beside the boat and making enough contact to start them bleeding. the knotless release net has solved my problem.[/QUOTE]

I bought one this spring, much deeper net thus it's a little more work to handle it for the Mrs. But it's so much easier on the fish, so well worth it IMO.

Out at constance 8-1pm, a 9lb white spring, 8 hatchery feeder and a few 3-4# feeders.
Most of the action was in the first couple hrs, tried trolling for hali for an hr or so....nothing!
Saw a few guys anchoured, not sure how they made out, seemed like a pretty fast current thou!
Excellent day out there, calm, flat and in a t-shirt by 11.

Out today and fished out front 8:30 - 11:30. Landed two wilds, couple of long releases and a whack of hammering hits. Nasty boy behind a red hotspot and a small purple coho killer behind a purple haze flasher were working best. Fished at 89 and 49 feet and got lots of action at both depths. Super fun fishing, the fish all fought hard and most were making big jumps out of the water. Weather was perfect and saw a solo humpback on the way in. Life is good on the westcoast!

Found it a bit slow for coho today. Fished 9am-1pm straight out from the harbour. Five wild to the boat at random depths from 37 to 125 feet. Couldn't seem to pick up two fish in a row even when we worked an area after a hit. Found one fish as nearly the farthest boat out and another in 240 feet of water closer in. Still not a bad way to spend a morning and good to get the boat running again after far too long a break.

Good action this morning! Lines in at 7:30 and first ho to the boat at 7:40. Lots of strikes and lots of unclipped fish! 38 feet had the best AM action. Add a few humpbacks and some sun and it turned out to be a stellar day! Nothing under 7 lbs.
Go get em!

We were out from 11-4 today, and it was quiet for us. Started straight out in 400+ feet of water, one early strike but gone before the reel was out of the holder, and one fish lost around 1 just behind the boat. The wind made for some chop, so we came closer in, and again not lots happening around Secretary for us. Did end up with a small hatch caught around 3 East of Secretary, and that was it. Maybe should have gotten out earlier. Fished all depths, speeds, and various colours of hoochies and spoons.

Fished 9-11:30 yesterday. Headed out of Beecher Bay to 400 ft and then trolled with the ebb. First wild in five minutes! Then slow, I picked up a chum which is in the brine right now. Nothing else...this is the shortest coho season ever! Xena

We had a good aft. yesterday. Fished off Secretary in 400 to 500 feet from 1 to 4pm, started slow but got good. We kept two wild and three hatch. One of the wilds was 15lbs. Three of seven to the boat were hatch. UV army truck hoochie produced 4 of the 5, at 80 feet...30 inch leaders. Green/glow splatterback only landed one on a double header. 3 to 3.5 mph on the troll.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went out of Beecher and stayed in the area for once. 12:30-2:00 landed 2 big beautys one wild female one hatch male, lost 4 more (ouch) took the above advice and put out the ol army truck hootchie, other one came in on a clear pink haze with uv twinkle and others lost were on a glow white. There still out there cleaning table was packed but most the ones I saw were pretty small.

Fri and Sat were both ever slow slow days for Coho fish.

So on Sunday we changed things up and fished from 7 to 1230 out in the shipping lanes (550'+). Lots more fish out there and no boats. Had 11 Coho in the boat by 10am, biggest 11.5 lb hatchery and most of the first fish caught were hatchery. Most fish caught at 70 feet deep on green glow gear.

Fished Saturday.
Slower than past weeks as others.

Kept 5 hos. 1 wild and 4 hatch. Funny we could not get our wild fish.
Lost a few and had a few other hits.
Also caught 1 late pink.
Most fish at 50-65 ft.

Covered a ton of ground from 400ft out to 575 ft. Got most fish towards the end of our day when we pulled gear and ran back to 400 ft where we had started.
I think we would have done better if we had stuck to the 400-450 range and waited for the bite rather than cruizing around looking for them.

Tips

Fri and Sat were both ever slow slow days for Coho fish.

So on Sunday we changed things up and fished from 7 to 1230 out in the shipping lanes (550'+). Lots more fish out there and no boats. Had 11 Coho in the boat by 10am, biggest 11.5 lb hatchery and most of the first fish caught were hatchery. Most fish caught at 70 feet deep on green glow gear.

....more U.S hatchery fish trying to defect to our side :)

Awesome clear day on the water - stayed out from 10-4. Started at Secretary, slow but scrounged up a 1 keeper. Patience paid off as went all but dead from 12-2, but did get into plenty of action from 230-330, including a 10 pound wild plus a couple double headers. Best depth for us off the head was around 75 on rigger in 300+ feet. Anchovy was out performing coho killer so switched up and landed both sides until bait was gone. Switched back to dual coho killers and still had lots of action... have next to no luck on any spoon I tried this year. Cheanuah is getting cleaned up pretty fast - soon to be Spirit Bay.

Awesome clear day on the water - stayed out from 10-4. Started at Secretary, slow but scrounged up a 1 keeper. Patience paid off as went all but dead from 12-2, but did get into plenty of action from 230-330, including a 10 pound wild plus a couple double headers. Best depth for us off the head was around 75 on rigger in 300+ feet. Anchovy was out performing coho killer so switched up and landed both sides until bait was gone. Switched back to dual coho killers and still had lots of action... have next to no luck on any spoon I tried this year. Cheanuah is getting cleaned up pretty fast - soon to be Spirit Bay.
Heard anything on the launch there? (Has anyone for that matter?) The Spirit Bay rep has no clue and was going to ask the band, but I have a bad feeling another Pacific Lions could be on its way. That would be crippling to an already pathetic public access to the ocean!

I think the band will keep the ramp open no matter what but well see how the road gets going in after trucks start ripping it up. Did they actually sell the land or 100yr lease it? I would never buy a home on leased land.

Back