Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Great report! Is octopus closed right now? I would have kept it if its open. Last one I caught was turned into cold octopus salad! Yum!

-KK

I caught a dog from every village--1 pink, 1 feeder spring and 1 hatch coho---lots of beauty wilds released. Downdeep for me--160ft on the rigger.
T2

How do you go down 160 ft on a YAK???????LOL LOL

How do you go down 160 ft on a YAK???????LOL LOL
I must admit, with the radar and the power downrigger the yak is getting crowded! LOL
No yak today--a nice comfy arima with radar was the way to go.
T2

Went out with Rockfish and Silver Spring today on the former's boat. The latter will put a full report up later but I will put up a short summary now anyway. Incredibly beautiful flat calm day with even some hazy sun, although fog did wax and wane throughout the day. Fished anchovy "out front" and off Secretary Isl. Loads of big wild coho. Did manage to get two hatch fish, largest went 10lb. The highlight of the day was a big fat 18lb chinook caught by Silver Spring. Unbelievably, this came at 69 feet waaay out in 460 feet of water while looking for coho. I kid you not! I would not have believed it if I had not seen it. Who needs combat fishing with the crowds at the Trap and Otter if you can get fish like that out there???!

Fun day with Englishman and Rockfish! We caught a lot of big wild coho that we released and kept a couple of hatcheries. We also were lucky to get a nice spring this late in to the season. It was a beautiful calm foggy day with lots of action.
016.jpg001.jpg012.jpg
Another wild coho released to swim another day!

Last edited by a moderator:
got out solo yesterday - a little bit of an adventure certainly in the fog and being in the middle of nowhere feeling like you are the only soul for miles! Started out mid morning around trap, few hits lost a couple smaller - 1 hard popper that hit hard like a nice spring, come and gone by the time I grabbed the rod - betsy gold/green gold on jdf oki/purple-black heads....then headed out - found a few in my attempts to stay in a straight line out! Hit 3 nice wilds let go all around 8-10, 1 hatch around 6, and had a great battle with a thick acrobatic one probably pushing 12-13 - he eventually shook me 10' from the boat with a reverse 2 1/2 somersault with 2 1/2 twist - hadn't been able to see the back clearly so will assume wild to feel better. Seems more life in them this year than last as all the wilds were good fights. Glow white coyote and various hootchies the ticket. 50' was the magic # on the hos. Out again once they open them up.

I must admit, with the radar and the power downrigger the yak is getting crowded! LOL
No yak today--a nice comfy arima with radar was the way to go.
T2

Hey Tsquared, I have been meaning to ask you what type of downrigger you are using on your Yak this post has reminded me. I have been fishing a lot out of my row boat around Beacher bay and the head. I have been using a Scotty lake rigger just so I wouldn’t have as much resistance. The three pound ball that is the listed max just doesn’t get down very far due to the blow back. Now that the fish seem to be deeper I am thinking about using something bigger. What have you found as far as the resistance against paddling?
Thanks Thawk

I use my dad's old Scotty manual saltaire, one of the old blue ones circa the '70's with a 5 lb ball and 80 lb braided line. I did get out a couple of times last winter and used a 10 lb ball for wiinter spring depths but I picked my days to go out. I have a hobie kayak with a sail on it so I looked for a day where the wind was 7-10 mph--enough wind to push me around without working too hard on the pedals. It got me off the couch during the winter when the power boat was in the driveway.
T2

I have an old blue scotty somewhere that is maybe rated for more weight. I'll give that a try with a 5 or a 7 hopefully it won't add to much resistance for the arms. thanks

WELL yesterday was what id call and adventure lightning ,thunder, saw lighting hit the water about 3 miles away kinda scary didnt stay out much further than that as fishing went DEAD (maybe electrocuted??? ).
Had one of the Best ever Guys on my boat!! all he wanted was to catch his record was 6 on the great lakes as hes for new jersey, got him into 17 fish (as he was counting). He said this was his 8 th time to BC last time was in ukie and he didnt much like it too rough ..... went on about how lucky we have it here the weather(had to laugh) "not today he says LOL" the green trees and and how beautiful it is here, praised how the people of sooke and Victoria keep our city clean. above all the fishing in sooke this after I told him the big springs are moved on but lots of coho kicking around. Met alot of people but wish I had people like this all time . he didnt want his fish so I brought home 2 pinks and a hatch coho which im going to snoke up later today and take him some as I already have a batch going.

So report is LOTS out there a few pinks still kicking around and BIG coho just have to get past all the wild going to be good IF we dont get to much rain for oct 1

good luck Wolf

i got the gutters halfway cleaned out before the lightning chased me off the roof. I was thinking, "Glad I'm not out on the water!!"
T2

Fished Friday, Saturday and Sunday with limits of hatchery coho each day. Actually kept 9 on Saturday, I took one home for dinner. Also a last minute 18 pound spring and still a handfull of pinks too. Went through 4-10 packs on Saturday for 2 rods and had artificial on the 3rd rod all morning. Must have hit 50 fish in the 6 hrs. We cut the Sunday trip short by an hour as we had lightning over top of us at Otter. A bolt came down close and heard the crack instantly. Don't need a fish that bad to risk loosing what is left of my hair. Went to the concert last night.....awesome show and the rain held off for the most part. Chilliwack surprised my with how good they still sound and was reminded of some old songs that I forgot were theirs.

Here is a pic from Saturday

Out today off Secretary. Choppy but otherwise nice. Three or four voluntary releases. Seven into boat including a couple "northerns". All wild. One pink. Day ended on a sour note when I realized someone had stolen my three pee sticks. I mean. Come on. WTF. Why??????

What the heck is a pee stick? Keep the mrs.' Old home pregnancy tests onboard?

Pee on this stick honey... What??? It brings me luck.

Hey. I can't tell you how many hookups we have when chumming the water. Probably all females. LOL

40 to 60 feet. It didn't matter. They kept hitting and hitting. Off Secretary. First time I have gone there this year other than one brief time to top up a catch. The bad news is we had only one keeper.

Back