Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

What can I say, Discus, we usually stay close to Sooke. Does it really matter? They will likely be off the Head, Trap or Victoria by tomorrow. All on Chovies and went through 3 - 10 packs which tells you there are a lot of nice fish hitting and none of them were Pinks or Sockeye. Did lots of catch and release on both Chinook and Coho. Very good fishing with perhaps the last big Chinook run going past Sooke and the big Coho also showing up. (We think it is the Chinook run that was recently at Renfrew pushed by the rain). I think after this run is through it will just be few stragglers as far as the big transient Chinooks are concerned. There are usually just a few caught in later Sept. Saw lots caught today as well as reports on the radio and also a lot of unclipped Coho (double headers) in the 9 to 14lb range even though we were hunting Chinook and trying to avoid Coho and Pinks. Depth in the 60 to 110 range. Teaser/flasher color does not seem to matter but get as slow a roll on the Chovie as you can and keep the speed down if you use Chovies. Of the 4 Chinook we kept, the Tyee was white, one was marbled and the other two were red.

Thank you for your sharing and tips. I am sure you are an excellent fisherman! I have been trying to catch more than 2 chinooks . It impossible for me, but I am trying my best I can. Tomorrow my friend and I will go to fishing at Possession point to O' Brain Point.

We had never been catch any chinook were white.

We are cross fingers , Tomorrow evening, we will catch some nice big Chinooks.

Yeah great day out there.
I would espesically like to thank the "C" number boat who drove over what was probably the largest fish I have had on in some time.
No I wasn't waving and yelling because I had to go to the bathroom
No I wasn't waving and yelling to say Hi
No I wasn't waving and yelling trying to get you to come closer
I was waving and yelling to get you to quit driving up my butt or maybe to turn away, or maybe to lift your riggers
I know its hard to understand for some people, but NOT someone who guides.
Anyhow when you two clowns jumped up when your down rigger started pounding that was you cutting my fish off.
But you looked so cute in your designer fishing outfits, sunglasses and color matching ball caps.

I got a long memory.
Lots of springs around
67 feet
Dan

That's too bad dan. Got into to two nice hatch ho's way off Obrien in the fog. They're getting nice in size now one had a bit of a beak on it. Got a whitey for the BBQ around secretary as well. We dragged up either a steelhead or sea run cutty near posession too. Never caught either and don't know the difference to tell. Should of snapped a pic but I got it off the line right away. Any thoughts?

That's too bad dan. Got into to two nice hatch ho's way off Obrien in the fog. They're getting nice in size now one had a bit of a beak on it. Got a whitey for the BBQ around secretary as well. We dragged up either a steelhead or sea run cutty near posession too. Never caught either and don't know the difference to tell. Should of snapped a pic but I got it off the line right away. Any thoughts?
Steelhead are usually long and slender with a heavily spotted tail.The tail will be much more square compared to the
more forked tail of a salmon. Sea run cuttys are usually smaller,with a 2-3 lb. fish being quite large,although I have
seen them go to 7-8 lbs. when I worked in the Charlottes. Hope this helps.

Dan--sorry you lost your fish but good to hear that you are out and about!
I fished the trap from about 2-5 this pm for 1 16 lb white spring. Haven't been out for a couple of weeks so it was nice to be on the water.
T2

Last edited by a moderator:
STILL lots of fish to be had got into quite a few today landing only 3 .....errr shiat happens......but its still going to be good for a bit with COHO action only going to heat up more and more still got time this weeks tides look really good by wed for early morning action...

good luck Wolf

Fished the head and Aldridge from 12-3 today with my dad and 6 year old girl. Nice weather, some good fish education (little one is non stop questions) and fog held out and it got warm.

Released a wild coho, and small spring but kept a nice red 30#'er - caught at 1:30. been hunting a longgg time for that one!

Both springs were deep, 3 bites for the trip in total all bait.

Teener.......

Casper..... I didn't see Luna on board...............
emo-coffee.gif

Teener.......

Casper..... I didn't see Luna on board...............
emo-coffee.gif
"You talking to me Willis"
Wasn't out this weekend had family things to do. But me and the Lunatic will be out next weekend. We are home alone starting next weekend for a week.

There was a pretty similar boat to your cruising around out front yesterday.... it was only a little foggy though :rolleyes:

There was a pretty similar boat to your cruising around out front yesterday.... it was only a little foggy though :rolleyes:
Yes there is one the same as mine. Only difference is that he has no seats in the flybridge and he has moved the flybridge controls to the rear cockpit area. Other then that they do look the same. Weather permitting Luna and I will be out next weekend.

Decided to do a quick solo fish this aft. Hit otter as the fog wasn't there. Was trying for springs but had more coho double headers than I bothered counting. Kept one hatch ho for dinner and let go one low teen spring right at end of the flood. Pretty nice afternoon out there

i was just down at Cheanuh to pick up something from the boat and talked to a couple of guys who had great coho fishing today with the gear down at 120. They had some nice looking fish--the ho's are heating up!
T2

Last edited by a moderator:
My buddy's landscaping crew were working over in the 10 mile point area and the on site storage shed took a direct it. The site quickly shut down for the day.

Took my brother out for the first time. We all caught multiple fish and only one pink. Tons of huge coho one had to be hitting 12lbs easy. Spings seemed to be deeper. Bait outfished plastic, spoons got no hits.

Got a weird thing a spring with its kidney all bloated and looked black and fatty? (I think the kidney is the blood line sack?) Also had a tiny fish in its stomach that was very silvery but with a very blue top?

I was out there the last two days... The fog on Monday was unreal I have never been fishing in conditions like that. The pinks are still biting, cohos are biting like crazy. Today we could not get a line down with out them biting around 1ish. They were hitting both bait and the hootchies hard.

On Monday we let this spring go back with a huge chunk taken out of him. It was too bad cause it was the largest spring we had caught all day. Too bad I have to go back to work tmrw.
ryqe4asu.jpg

Well for one..... I am pretty sure that isn't a spring....

For two.... I would guess he met a blue before coming into the strait.. Or one followed him

X2 That don't stink like a spring ! and from the hand size, a pretty small fish....reeks of coho to me with that bigger eye and lack of obvious dorsal spots but without seeing mouth/gums/teeth or caudal I suppose it could possibly be a soc.... nice clean slice!

Back