Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Ok I need to work on my identification of salmon... Just started fishing. I don't think it was a prop cause it had another scare on the other side that was the same shape but a little smaller

Looks like a salmon with a big chunk out of it which is the curious part. Who cares what type of salmon it is.
Cowpasta - looks like a fresh cut. I am surprised if that fish was injured and then took the gear. Possible it got in your prop? Or someone near by?
How fresh was the cut?

Tips

Looks like a shark-if you look closely the scales are disturbed over the back-looks like a full bite-probably a blue. Doesn't look like a spring to me from what I can see in the pic-probably the last one I'd pick. Looks like the anal fin is whitish-can't really tell but I'd put money on no to a spring! Lots of fish marked this year, more than usual in my opinion, sharks ,seals-a nasty world down there. LOL

Tips up...

I dont' remember it get any where near the prop, but you never know. If I were to take a picture of the other side of the fish, it looks like a mouth bite. The cut didn't look fresh but I am no expert.

Outback
I didn't really have a good look at the fish with a scare just too a quick picture and then watched it swim away. As for the "springs" we were carefully to make sure the salmon we thought we coho were fishing the fin.

Picked up a larger clipped Coho that weighed in at 9.5 lb's after the guts had been removed for the crab trap so it would have been heavier than that. I am curious what is the largest clipped Coho caught off Sooke so far this year. Most of the Coho over ten lbs we have caught have not been clipped.

Have also being throwing down a crab trap at times on a rocky bottom for the super size Red Rock Crabs. So far the largest had a carapace of 7 & 1 quarter inches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome day, 1 clipped coho, couple lost to poor netting, and a hali each for our patience... 110 cm and a 115.. Beauty day on the pick!

Awesome day, 1 clipped coho, couple lost to poor netting, and a hali each for our patience... 110 cm and a 115.. Beauty day on the pick!

Hey Leonardobc we are fishing out of sooke for the first time this weekend. where do we go to chatch halibut?
Crow

Fished Posession area last night for a teener spring and a teener hatch coho. Looked like maybe a few boats were hooked up but they were well inside the boundry line for us to get a good look. Maybe my mistake I thought the square white marker on posession pt was the start and then to the bluffs.

Fished Posession area last night for a teener spring and a teener hatch coho. Looked like maybe a few boats were hooked up but they were well inside the boundry line for us to get a good look. Maybe my mistake I thought the square white marker on posession pt was the start and then to the bluffs.
I thought this too but the line is drawn from Parsons Point to the Marker at Possesion, if you stay at 70Ft you are Legal for sure, 60 Ft is probably okay too but too be on the safe side stay in 70ft. Any thoughts? Driller

I was out from 9-12 at Possesion and Harbourfront, no Springs, I stayed tight and got a couple of Coho that I released. There were quite a few boats farther out that looked to be on the Hos. Springs have quieted down on my Boat. Good Day Driller

YES you are correct Driller was out there and coho action was incredible doubles, triples, managed to get 6 hatch coho and let more than double that go got some in the 12 to 15 lb range as well(WILD errrrr) awesome fight big hook nose. AND to my surprise a nice mature 15 lb spring on a 30 inch leader pink squirt.!!!!! LOL that was getting most of the coho as well along with 2 pinks. SO yes fishing is STILL good in sooke not over yet but will say springs are definitely slowing down but so many other options ... So get out and FISH!!!!

Good luck Wolf

Out this morning in the tin shed area. 7 hatch coho, 1 nice winter spring and 4 pinks kept. Released many wilds and smaller springs. Was kept busy the entire trip. Couldn't find a lure or bait that wouldn't work. Finished up at Muir looking for something bigger but still had to weed through Coho.

Fished for a week with some friends from Germany on my and some friends boats. They had a great time and they couldn't believe how many fish they caught. Mostly coho, some quite large but as so often almost all coho over 10# were unclipped. Every day there were still a good number of pinks mixed in as well and some smaller springs. Tried hard to get them into at least one big spring - until the last day a 14# seemed to be all that was to be had although we lost at least 2 good ones after a quick but good battle. Then on Thu just as it got really rough in the afternoon we scratched out a 20# from near Possession which was already quite golden. Probably a Sooke River fish. They were stoked to finally land this long awaited fish after a spirited battle. Some halis during tide changes were landed too including a extra large octo at Constance which was so heavy that I thought we would have to cut the line to get back to fishing. The tentacles were probably close to 4' each and only because it was pretty docile we could remove the hooks and let it go unharmed. Great adventure for my friends! Their facit: we live in paradies! Enjoy it!

1.jpg4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg
5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The tentacles were probably close to 4' each and only because it was pretty docile we could remove the hooks and let it go unharmed.

surprise-text-emoticon-small-8445.png

Back