Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

The 'Trap' is pretty much right between Possesion Point and Beechy Head. You should be able to find those 2 locations on a map. Then look for a little shack tucked in the trees.

I run braid on one side and steel on the other. I really don't think there is a difference in fish hits overall, although on different days, one side might be busy while the other side is not. I've wondered if that's a coincidence or not at times. I prefer the steel cable because I find when fishing deep 100+, the braid side seems to have more blowback than the steel. Just my opinion.

Without derailing the thread............the blowback on My Scotty lowdrag is actually awful......

I discussed this with a guy at Harb Chan.......he told me that the PowerPro braid is far superior to the current Scotty and has way less blowback (for several reasons)

I don't know about the fishcatching attractor advantage....I seem to do real good on both sides braid no problem

But the blowback on my Scotty lowdrag braid is TERRIBLE...and......I notice it gets worse over time.

I use the same d/balls on braid as I used with wire......and the wire had way less blowback...so I know it isn't the ball weight.

Scotty is supposed to be coming out with a new braid that competes with the PowerPro fairly soon I was told.

I notice JuanDeSooka has his name on the bottom of that page.....his site?

Good site by the way........very helpful......

Without derailing the thread............the blowback on My Scotty lowdrag is actually awful......

I discussed this with a guy at Harb Chan.......he told me that the PowerPro braid is far superior to the current Scotty and has way less blowback (for several reasons)

I don't know about the fishcatching attractor advantage....I seem to do real good on both sides braid no problem

But the blowback on my Scotty lowdrag braid is TERRIBLE...and......I notice it gets worse over time.

I use the same d/balls on braid as I used with wire......and the wire had way less blowback...so I know it isn't the ball weight.

Scotty is supposed to be coming out with a new braid that competes with the PowerPro fairly soon I was told.

SF-you are absolutely correct. When Striper Sniper fishes my boat he brings his own rigger with scotty braid-I'm using Power pro 250 lb braid-he uses my balls ( sounds Bad)LOL his blow back is so much worse than mine at say 180 ft that we totally disregard his angle for speed. When it first happened we thought he was picking up weeds-Not so-It's the braid!!!

When it comes to Halibut fishing in the Sooke area, the best word to describe my results is "suck". Bet I have put in over 60 hours at the "hot spots" from the front to Sherringham over the past couple of years. I have the heart, the boat, the equipment but not the know how. If there are any successful Hali fishermen in the Sooke that are more successful than that and would be willing to help me, please drop me a note.

Halibut fishing is all about location and time of day as it relates to currents. So either you were in the wrong spots or wrong timing in relation to currents. They aren't fussy about presentation like salmon.

I thought it was more about tides I'm going out tomarow for the slack and the current is 1.5 at the most do you it's pushing is for anchoring?

When it comes to Halibut fishing in the Sooke area, the best word to describe my results is "suck". Bet I have put in over 60 hours at the "hot spots" from the front to Sherringham over the past couple of years. I have the heart, the boat, the equipment but not the know how. If there are any successful Hali fishermen in the Sooke that are more successful than that and would be willing to help me, please drop me a note.

I wouldn't call the area from the harbour to sherringham as a hot spot. Sure there's hali there but most guys will head past sherringham if they're looking for good odds.

Great Day in Sooke yesterday. Surprising how many big springs and Coho are still around considering the time of year. Usually by Labor day weekend the big rains have come and they are gone. Got three nice 12 to 18 pound springs and 2 nice hatch hoes (I was shocked too) also a couple of pinks for the smoker. Two bad we can not keep any wild hoes because the two we gently released were sure pretty and yummy looking. Wish I had more time to fish right now it won't last long. For all you that still can the magic spot was on the edge of the trap reef and they loved the purple teaser head. Best O Luck

The 'Trap' is pretty much right between Possesion Point and Beechy Head. You should be able to find those 2 locations on a map. Then look for a little shack tucked in the trees.

I run braid on one side and steel on the other. I really don't think there is a difference in fish hits overall, although on different days, one side might be busy while the other side is not. I've wondered if that's a coincidence or not at times. I prefer the steel cable because I find when fishing deep 100+, the braid side seems to have more blowback than the steel. Just my opinion.
Thanks for the info rock dog, looking forward to the trip!

Out today for the first time in nearly 2 weeks due to various issues. Decided to go out front/bluffs today. Put anchovy down to 95 feet in 100 feet of water at 8:15am and in 10 minutes had an 11lb fish in the boat. The rest of the day, though really great out on the water, did not maintain that standard. We got lots of very small chinook but did manage to sort out a 5lb and 6lb fish for the bar-b-Q and had one pink as well. We released a nice wild coho in the same area. We also lost quite a few without ever seeing them and had a number of pin pops on hoochies that were so fast we could not hit them. Perhaps they were coho biting short? Eventually trolled right out to 400 feet of water in the afternoon but apart from one or two fast pin pops very little happened after noon. Packed it in at 3:00pm. Beautiful sunny afternoon - probably a great evening out there now.

I notice JuanDeSooka has his name on the bottom of that page.....his site?

Good site by the way........very helpful......

Yup, that's one of mine....glad you find it helpful. The Victoria fishing info compiled by none other than site moderator Kelly from Last Chance Fishing! :)

As for reports....the Port Renfrew posts got to me, so today I dragged my boat up there to get at least one Beach session this year. Was a little slower than hoped for, a 12ish, smaller spring, and a big coho that shook the hook. Why posting in Sooke section? Because I think I would have done just as well close to home, sounds like fishing was good locally today! And what a beauty day all the way down JDF....sunny, warm, mirror glassy calm. Mmm, love warm September weather.

CowPasta:- I noticed you said you run 48 inch leader...is that for every type of lure you run?

generally speaking for starters:-

Hoochies:- 37 or 38 inches from back of flasher to nose of hoochy including hardware. To get more action on the hoochy if you need it:- speed up..or...shorten the dropback ( distance from release clip to flasher). I would basically go about 20ft (dropback from release clip) for starters. I use this method if fishing for Coho as well as Chinooks...and I get more Coho this way than shortening up leaders as some people do.
There occasions where shorter hoochy leaders/different speed will work......like for Sockeye and Chum at times. Go at least 40lb test for hoochies (better action) and go 50lb or 60lb if you like.
Don't ever go less than 30lb test.......Fishfight plus flasher resitance will break the leader at those lengths.

Spoons......for starters.........5 feet behind flasher is good.30lb test is good. Big spoons you can go same length as bait. Coho-killer spoons you can go 36 inches to 60 inches.
Some guys go real short on spoon leader lengths (like down to 28 inches....or 32 inches etc.etc. in some situations)....personally I find the 5ft leader works for me a lot.

Bait:- at least 6ft leader behind flasher on up to 9ft at times......30lb test. generally........

Teaser heads:- Bloody Nose, Purple Haze, Green Scale, Green Glow, Purple/Chrome, White Glow, Clear Chartreuse......to name a few........there are others
Flashers:- Gold Betsy, Super Gold Betsy , Purple Onion, Glow Purple, Purple Haze, Green Glow, Army truck, Straight Chrome, Boogieman....to name few......there are others

Winter Chinooks can be slightly different ballgame than summer stock. Winters tend to hang near bottom, summer runs tend to be in top third of water column. (in early morning you could be fishing 20ft deep....as sun comes up you could be going 60 to 120ft or deeper in places).

Active summer stock will chase bait around.....so it's more important to know the local "current and tide" ballgame than it is just going out and dropping a line any old place (although that sometimes works too...there is always the "wild card" factor).

Tides, currents,ebbs, floods, islands , structure....all produce specific locations where fish will hold or hustle bait......usually these places are the same year after year.

So the more you know about these places off Sooke, Victoria or wherever around there.....the better off you will be........

Thanks for all the replies... I can't wait to get back out on the water to give it another go... I will let you know if any of it actually worked!!!!

matt

I wouldn't call the area from the harbour to sherringham as a hot spot. Sure there's hali there but most guys will head past sherringham if they're looking for good odds.
...nothing hot like say sherringham - JR.... ;)

Out with my favorite crew today (wife/son) you know it's going to be a good day...when a humpback surfaces in front of you at the start of your first tack. Bang son hits a teener ho - hooked in the belly, released to hopefully live another day. Next fish is a feisty 10lb hatch spring;1st of 5 decent feeders, too injured to be released, 90' on a cop car proved useuful. Hit another spring; mid teens,111' on bait, after which noticed skinny Al - on the inside backing down on what appeared to be a large spring; seen in passing hoisted on a scale confirmed to be a forty. Went in to said location took a pass up lunker alley; rod buries - son jumps rod, knee knocking 25 hits the deck = 3 :)

Great day fishing with Rockfish. Got our limit in springs and caught a beautiful Tyee. We also caught quite a few really big wild coho that we had to release. What a great day on the water!
View attachment 8930

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 614
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 589
Nice fish! where did you go? how deep?

Discus

What can I say, Discus, we usually stay close to Sooke. Does it really matter? They will likely be off the Head, Trap or Victoria by tomorrow. All on Chovies and went through 3 - 10 packs which tells you there are a lot of nice fish hitting and none of them were Pinks or Sockeye. Did lots of catch and release on both Chinook and Coho. Very good fishing with perhaps the last big Chinook run going past Sooke and the big Coho also showing up. (We think it is the Chinook run that was recently at Renfrew pushed by the rain). I think after this run is through it will just be few stragglers as far as the big transient Chinooks are concerned. There are usually just a few caught in later Sept. Saw lots caught today as well as reports on the radio and also a lot of unclipped Coho (double headers) in the 9 to 14lb range even though we were hunting Chinook and trying to avoid Coho and Pinks. Depth in the 60 to 110 range. Teaser/flasher color does not seem to matter but get as slow a roll on the Chovie as you can and keep the speed down if you use Chovies. Of the 4 Chinook we kept, the Tyee was white, one was marbled and the other two were red.

Back